FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » question from a long-time lurker

Author Topic: question from a long-time lurker
jmj
Member # 7061

- posted      Profile for jmj           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been lurking around here for a while but have never worked up the nerve to post.... There are some things I have noticed that I wonder if any of you have even realized and that I would like to understand. I'll ask my first question today: why are so many people so obsessed with attractiveness? So many people talk about being hot, wow, attractive, cute.... Isn't it enough to have a great community of people who understand each other? Is it ever possible to break free from the burden to needing to be attractive?

Just wondering....

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're hot, jmj...

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
You're staring at my post count, aren't you?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Because everyone likes to feel good about themselves - women in particular, although they are not by any means exclusive in that respect.

And I don't believe it's a matter of psychological need so much as harmless flattery and friendly lies.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
At least 70% of the time it's mentioned, it's in jest, jmj. [Smile]

People constantly say "Ralphie's hot!" or something... NOT that that's a joke, of course, but it's all in good humor. Nobody really cares what other people look like.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
More seriously, most people here find intelligence and compassion to be attractive. Throw in humor, good grammar, and proper spelling, and yeah, you're gonna see see a lot of friendly flirting. [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Your name reminds me of Jm. J. Bullock, jmj.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
So if I'm ugly I can still post? [Big Grin]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon-- I'm sorry but I hate all beautiful people [Taunt]
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't it enough to have a great community of people who understand each other?
No.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The robot speaks....

[Big Grin]

I think it is in part that we are disconnected from each other in a physical sense, so we joke about the way we look because it is a way of mentioning something that is missing here on the Internet.

Also, a lot of people joke about the opposite end of it, about looking like hell.

Other than Kama, I don't know anyone here who really cares... [Big Grin]

Just kidding....HotNate cares too... [Evil]

[ November 26, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't it enough to have a great community of people who understand each other?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.

[ROFL]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People constantly say "Ralphie's hot!" or something...
Really? Cool.

What was the question?

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Did there need to be one, really? It's perfect for any conversation.

"It's really cold out today." Yeah, but Ralphie's hot.

"Can you believe what Bush did?" Well, at least Ralphie is hot.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie is hot because she brings the funny, she's smart as h*ll, and she cares about people. Besides, have you SEEN her pictures on the foo?

*swoons*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So if I'm ugly I can still post?
I still do. [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, I'd just like to let you know that you're the man.

If you hadn't realized already.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Nathan
Member # 6114

- posted      Profile for Hot Nathan           Edit/Delete Post 
Yo, welcome jmj.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll ask my first question today: why are so many people so obsessed with attractiveness? So many people talk about being hot, wow, attractive, cute.... Isn't it enough to have a great community of people who understand each other? Is it ever possible to break free from the burden to needing to be attractive?
Random complements = good?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it ever possible to break free from the burden to needing to be attractive?
Not if you're a black hole.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Just like the human need for social interactivity, humans also have a need to be wanted, or admired, or at the very least respected. That's my thoughts on the subject.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
Sex.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
kaioshin00, you really shouldn't boost my ego like that. [Razz]

I might start to think that I am a juicy hunk of love. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*psst* Amy, I got your joke! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
jmj - Unless you've personally met the people you're talking to, the very fact that you don't know who looks like what on an internet community brings a delicious absurdity to commenting on people's appearance. Which is why it's usually done for comedic purposes. Thank Jebus we aren't a community that starts "Am I Hot Or Not?" threads.

See, for example, I can say I'm hot all I want, and knowing nobody can say I'm not. Except the people who've met me in real life, and those have all been carefully paid off with hush money.

[ November 27, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Random complements = good?
Very, very, very good.

Compliments are nice too.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
See, for example, I can say I'm hot all I want, and knowing nobody can say I'm not.
We may not have seen you irl, but we've seen all your movies, Angelina.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jealousy rears it's pretty head, K.A.M.A.?

It's the battle royale between old-time hottie ralphie and the newest challenger, cyborg K.A.M.A.....

I say 10 rounds of Jello wrestling should clear this challenge up.... [Evil]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Jealousy? I've seen all her movies, I'm a fan.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except the people who've met me in real life, and those have all been carefully paid off with hush money.
*cough* Oh, rilly? And when will that check be arriving?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably in the mail [Razz]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.