FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Snowboarding? Neck/shoulder sprain. Very sad.

Author Topic: Snowboarding? Neck/shoulder sprain. Very sad.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this out. I went snowboarding with a friend on Saturday. My heelside edge caught in the snow and I went flying upwards. I came down on the back of my head, followed by the rest of my body, and my head bouncing and then smacking on the ground again.

Am very happy I had a helmet on or I'd have been knocked out for sure.

I woke up yesterday morning with a very stiff, hurting neck. Hurt to move it, hurt like hell to lift it from the pillow--felt like it couldn't even hold the weight of my head (which isn't THAT big) when I lifted it from the pillow.

Anyway, it still hurts. My head and neck and shoulders [Frown] I want to fence. [Frown]

I think this is whiplash. I'm not sure, I've never had it. I googled snowboarding and whiplash and it isn't an uncommon injury.

o_O

What to do?

[ December 08, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. [Frown]

Can't answer your question, but I have sympathy.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to a doctor?! Really, it's not something you can solve on your own!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just jump on the obvious bandwagon and suggest seeing a doctor.

You could try waiting and trying to tough it out, but that may only compound the injury.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Treating Whiplash

More suggestions (including: Ice it)

Maybe the PT you went to a while back?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
::chuckles::

Yeah, but her PT would make her do the bicycle arm thing just to tick her off. [Wink]

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar injury (not simlar accident) a few years back. Go to a chiroprator. If you can find a good, honest chiropractor, (not necessarily easy), this is one of the things they are actually better at treating than MDs. Mine, had my neck fixed in about 10 minutes.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine a balestra would hurt like the dickens with whiplash. [Frown]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention my coaches beating me themselves if they found out I tried to fence with whiplash.

o_O

They're already tweaky about my shoulders.

...and I love the fact that Dag knows what a balestra is. [Big Grin]

[ December 06, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Take some ibuprofin. If it still bothers you a year from now, think about going to a doctor.

<-- is convinced that he broke a toe, since it took over a year to heal, but never had it looked at.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*has had his share of snowboarding injuries*

*can't wait to get back on the slopes*

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What to do?
Wah wah wah. Clearly, you got energy for belly achin'!
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

--I--
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. For that, I think she deserved a *stab*.
mackillian
Member # 586

That'd require getting up and grabbing a sword.
rivka
Member # 4859

When did you stop keeping one always in reach?
mackillian
Member # 586

I redecorated.
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, rillllly?

[Evil]

*hugs mack with impunity*

mackillian
Member # 586

It just isn't fair when I can't fight back! [Mad]
rivka
Member # 4859

[Evil Laugh]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
and I love the fact that Dag knows what a balestra is.
I just wish I could actually do one. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Mack,

So I told my 5-year-old that I'd teach him to ski this year. He promptly told me that would be fine, but he'd rather learn to snowboard. In your experience, is one easier or harder than the other to learn? Do you have any experience with how little ones do with respect to each type of snow sport?

Thanks,

Rubble

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

What I've heard is that skiing takes longer to master and is less harsh when learning. Meanwhile, snowboarding has about a two-week learning curve and is very harsh when you learn. LOTS of falling. Falling on your back, on your butt, on your knees, everything. But once it "clicks" it clicks.

For either sport, the most important part is WANTING to do it, so that when you hit those learning walls, you will want to get past them, instead of give up.

So, if your son wants to board, I'd let him give that a whirl. You could even ask if he'd want to try both (rentals and in intro lesson for each) to be able to decide.

I love boarding. I wouldn't be able to ski--I think because I don't like the idea of my legs being on two separate sticks rather than one large stick. Since I skateboarded as a kid, snowboarding was more intuitive.

rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info!

I think you've really hit it on the head saying that motivation is everything. I also think that 3rd party lessons are key for the beginning. I love doing things with my son for the first time, but for complex tasks I think he pays more attention and does as he's told better with someone else. Maybe I'll take boarding lessons at the same time so we can try it out together!

Thanks again.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I miss Ralphie.

I realize I usually say that whenever she stops by, but it's always true.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Me too. And I've only been here since she's been stopping by.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mackillian
Member # 586

I redecorated.

Hmmmmmm....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Confused]
mackillian
Member # 586

o_O
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kat - you should, like, e-mail me. And stuff.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

The good news is that it isn't whiplash. I don't think. The doc didn't SAY whiplash.

He did say the following.

"You shouldn't fall on your head."

"Were you wearing a helmet?"

"If you hadn't been, I'm sure you would've been knocked out and concussed."

"You can't cuss if you're knocked out."

"You kept snowboarding after you fell, didn't you?"

"Does this hurt?"

"I thought so."

"At least you didn't separate your shoulder."

"Yes, that would've been possible."

"I'm going to prescribe a muscle relaxant. It will sedate you."

"Yes, I realize your psychiatrist is always trying to sedate you. I didn't realize the seroquel had actually worked. I'll give you a non-sedating relaxer."

"I KNEW you were going to ask when you could fence again."

"Okay. MAYBE by Saturday at the earliest, if your neck FEELS okay."

"And try not to fall on your head again."

"And don't even think about touching a foil till Saturday."

"And good luck on Saturday."

This blows. I mean, it's my own fault for snowboarding during tournament season for fencing, but the two seasons happen AT THE SAME TIME! [Mad] And why do my docs have to know me so well as to forbid athletic activity until THEY think it'll be okay, knowing that if they didn't tell me, I'd be fencing tonight.

Well, no, I wouldn't, it hurts and something popped today. O_o But I'd fence tomorrow.

[Frown]

*kicks self*

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And why do my docs have to know me so well as to forbid athletic activity until THEY think it'll be okay, knowing that if they didn't tell me, I'd be fencing tonight.
We have special powers, dear. It comes with the stethescope. [Big Grin]

*admires mack's physicians from afar

*admires mack even more

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
*kicks self*
Is this some new form of physical therapy? [Razz]

At least it's mostly good news, even if you have to wait until Saturday.

Dagonee

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You kept snowboarding after you fell, didn't you?"

Well, duh.

[ROFL]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I didn't know Mac was trying yoga next.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I have lots of practice with kicking myself in the ass.
mackillian
Member # 586

And holy crap, I've lost my ability to park straight. I THINK I've parked straight in the space, then I get out and it's all wonky.

o_O

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm glad you went to the doctor, mack.

I'm even more glad that your doc knows how to deal with you. [Wink]

Feel better!

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"You shouldn't fall on your head."
What brilliant advice. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.