Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IKEA

Author Topic: IKEA
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
So, my girlfriend took me to IKEA with her over the weekend. I have seen (and assembled) some of their furniture before, but I was totally unprepared for the overwhelming feeling of being disconcerted I had when I was there. I don't know what it is about their furniture -- it seems to exist somewhere between "cool" and "evil-incarnate." Seriously, most of their furniture I like, but there's also something about each piece, something I can't seem to articulate or put my finger on that just seems wrong. It really throws me off, because I'm usually very confident about what I like and what I don't aesthetically and the reasons for it.

I do unquestionably like much of their kitchen furniture, but everything else just bothers me somehow. And I don't know what it is. Heaven help me, if I had to live in a house fully furnished by IKEA, I think I'd go mad. Someone help me out here.

[ December 14, 2004, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I like nice furniture, but I'm not willing to spend money on it.

I don't think we have a single piece of furniture that we didn't get second-hand or were given as a gift.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
On our trip to Russia we were impressed with the great big IKEA store between Moscow and the airport.

Our guide laughed about one group of parents remarking how such a great American store was doing so well in Moscow and all over Europe.

Our guide told them, "Yeah, especially in Sweden."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Did they miss the swedish flags, swedish commercials and GIANT YELLOW AND BLUE STORES? It's kind of hard to not know that Ikea is Swedish!

Personally, I like a lot of the Ikea furniture. As new furniture goes, it's tasteful, cool, fuctional, interesting and compared to many stores, not that expensive.

I would never furnish my whole house with it but, given the money, I'd definately have a significant amount of it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

[Laugh] Dan.

Wow. I never fail to get a laugh out of the apparent obliviousness of people. Every day at my video store the customers look at the sign that says, "Please put all rental returns in the drop box," and then proceed to hand them to us at the counter. And then there are those who return our videos to Blockbuster and Blockbuster's videos to us. And then the people who walk in our door, look around and realize they're in the wrong store -- they were looking for the funiture store two shops down (Did the giant movie posters not give them any idea we don't sell furniture?).

I don't expect everyone to be paying complete attention to their enviroment all the time, but the sheer volume of ignorance in the world never ceases to amaze me, or amuse me.

[Dont Know]

[ December 14, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
IKEA: Swedish for "Why are there so many parts?"
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
"do you feel sorry for the little creamer? that's 'cause you're crazy."
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I could live in IKEA. I love that store.

They're building one in Frisco! The closest one will no longer be in Houston! *plots to move to Frisco by next summer*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
They just opened one here in the Phoenix area, ketchupqueen. It's a lot closer than Houston.

[ December 14, 2004, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an actual city called Frisco in Texas? I had no idea; I initially thought you meant San Francisco, CA..

There's isn't an ikea there, but two are close by.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought she meant California, too.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

I still want to know why the furniture bothers me so much...

Am I just weird?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

That's what I was afraid of (and what my girlfriend told me).

[Angst]

esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the furniture's weird. I think a lot of it's cheaply made.
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother bought the softest, most comfortable couch I've ever rested my ass on from IKEA. After a good 4 hours of tv watching, and then a night of sleeping on said couch, my back was a mess the entire next day. I have a feeling my bro will have chronic back pain by the time he's 30.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Ikea store near my home. Not my ideal fourniture, but let's face it, we buy a good house, we don't have the money to buy excellent fourniture to go with it.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I've ever owned a niture. What is it and why would you need four of them? [Wink]

Edit to add that as Anna is from France this is the correct spelling for her. I checked after I posted. [No No] on me.

[ December 14, 2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Frisco's just north of Dallas. I think. *is not so good with directions* But I thought "San Fransisco" for the first year and a half I was here, until I actually went out there for a baseball game.

I had an Ikea bed; after I moved out, my brother sat on it and it broke. That's not what I like about Ikea; it's the experience. And the housewares. And the lingonberry jelly. [Big Grin]

[ December 14, 2004, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Living in IKEA?

I detest most IKEA stuff. Seriously. My ex took me to the store once, and the only thing I liked about it was the shopping cart escalators.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my media shelves from Ikea and *love* them. They were easy to put together, inexpensive, and they're exactly the right depth. I installed them behind my office door, where they fit exactly perfectly.

Maybe the best part of it was getting my 11 year old to alphabetize the DVD collection. He has a vested interest in keeping it alphabetized now, and I no longer have any trouble finding what I want. [Big Grin] Not sure that Ikea can take credit for that part....

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Godric:

Your not weird. What you are responding to is the mass production and commodification of design that is meant to look designed.

Ikea is like on of those Monet umbrellas or bookbags.

That said, I like a lot of their stuff although I agree that I would find it difficult to live in a home furnished solely with their products.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know what it is about their furniture -- it seems to exist somewhere between "cool" and "evil-incarnate."
Evil incarnate. Nail on head, my friend. Nail on head.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
i didn't think the furniture was very high quality... its mostly nothing but cheap glass in weird shapes.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It depends on what you get. My brother has a metal IKEA bed that's quite excellent. I would never, under any circumstances, buy a crib from them, though.
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like IKEA. We have one close to us and its nice when you need to get a new piece of furniture for somewhat cheap...and they pretty much have everything. It can be a fun store too! I once went in with a few friends and we took pictures of ourselves near/on all the furniture or in all the fake room settings. [Big Grin]

However, I see how one would not like that store. Especially since when you buy something and have to put it all together, the directions are hard to follow. Also, you are ALWAYS, and i mean ALWAYS, left with all kinds of extra pieces you dont know what to do with and hope that you didnt forget to nail/screw something in. Silly Swedish store...hehehe

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've never had a problem putting IKEA furniture together. [Evil]

In fact, when my sister bought a table and chairs there, she paid me to put it together for her.

Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the atmosphere of the store as well.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys would have loved the episode of The Amazing Race from two weeks ago. One of the big challenges for the racers was working with an IKEA store, and it got hilarious.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=76&story=7214&limit=&sort=

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Actually, I've found their furniture quite easy to assemble compared to other assembly required funiture. And yes, they always include extra pieces -- I imagine so that if one of the pegs or other pieces breaks you'll have one to replace it with. I actually like that.

I suppose you're right Zalmoxis, I do have a keen dislike of mass-produced consumption. I don't like wearing name-brand clothing with logos for that exact reason.

I actually think having some of their furniture combined with other, more traditional pieces might enhance a houses' furniture aesthetic. But I guess too much of it just overwhelmes me (in a bad way).

[ December 14, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
That Amazing Race episode was HILARIOUS.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd LOVE to be able to furnish with some IKEA stuff.

Pretty much I just want shelves. Lots and lots of shelves for all my books. I don't have enough. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have used lots of Ikea furniture and I have never had any problem with the quality. Ever.

Am I buying different furniture?!

[Confused]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a couch, an entertainment center, and a set of bookshelves from IKEA, as well as a few odds and ends. Our couch is fantastic, everyone loves it. The entertainment center actually holds our TV, VCR, DVD player and every gaming console known to man (well, all the current ones). And the shelves were $45! We have had no quality issues with them at all. I love IKEA.

I love them extra much because they're Swedish.
*is from Rockford, where the train stopped when all the Swedes were coming to America*

[ December 14, 2004, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
IKEA's cheap furniture is better quality and lower price than most other places' cheap furniture.

Their "higher end" stuff is not as good as the lower-end stuff you could buy in a good local furniture store, but it's still cheaper.

But, really, if you are buying for long-term use, then IKEA's furniture is probably not for you. It does not last as long as solid woods and veneers over solid wood. The styling, though fun and funky now, probably will not hold up in terms of matching your tastes in the long run.

Some of their stuff I have kept (like the black folding chairs). But the rest is stuff I ended up giving away to people who were just starting out and needed some sticks of furniture.

So...interesting styles, good prices, and quality that will last a few years, but not much longer.

I would definitely shop there again, though. Especially if I was helping someone fill a place or they needed furniture just for a few years (like a college student or someone with their first apartment or something).

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Billy bookcases are amazing.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are the very shelves I am drooling over, Dag.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
the irony of modern design is that it was concieved as a way to make mass produced products of high quality which were affordable because they were designed around modern manufacturing processes and materials, yet the aesthetic (and the work of the designers who pioneered this approach to production) has become a halmark of the ultra-rich and corporate environments. in a way, IKEA is the epitome of the modernist movement - it attempts to create products which are inexpensive, relatively well made, minimalist in implementation. i would argue that IKEA is not "like on of those Monet umbrellas or bookbags", but is in fact more legitimate from a theoretical point of view than the $12,000 cassina couches that IKEA resembles.

Godric: i would say that the parallel uneasiness and interest you experience in IKEA is simply a manifestation of our culture's love-hate relationship with consumerism. we love the products we fill our houses with but are frightened by the system which produces them. this tension seems to be the only interesting (IMHO) issue being discussed in design theory these days.

[ December 14, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: kerinin ]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
got4hooves
Member # 7128

- posted      Profile for got4hooves           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the girlfriend.

The gentleman who started this post is just a bitter individual. He doesn't like Ikea because he knows that if we go to Ikea, he's going to end up hauling furniture up a flight of stairs and assembling it.

His rage associated with these tasks is then directed toward the store itself.

Ikea is amazing. He knows it. Y'all know it. There was joy in his heart while there, even if it was masked.

Besides, Ikea is keeping him from lounging on a used couch soaked with someone else's DNA.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* Godric's in trou-ble! [Wink]

xnera, funny link! I especially liked
quote:
Not only that, but the soft upholstery is made from real kittens, all cute.
*blink*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Nobody saw that.

[Angst]

Edit: Crap! Except, apparently, rivka...

[ December 14, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Laugh] Godric

See, this is why you never, ever let your significant other register on the same forums as you.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
O:)

I saw nothing. Nothing at all . . . but kq is very, very correct.

Ohyes.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Yes, but now that she has, does that make us a Hatrack couple?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Godric,

Maybe it just has "bad feng shui" ??

quote:
I was totally unprepared for the overwhelming feeling of being disconcerted
I don't know of any IKEA stores in my area of Kansas, so I have never experienced that phenomenon.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Godric, my main question is, if it was so hard to deal with, why didn't you just retreat to the restaurant and fortify yourself with some meatballs?
Godric
Member # 4587

I did. Although it was a hotdog and a bottle of Julmust instead of meatballs...

[Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, no, no. Only 5 year olds should be allowed to go to Ikea and get a hot dog. [No No]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.