FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Arthur Miller dead at 89

Author Topic: Arthur Miller dead at 89
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur Miller, perhaps the greatest American playwright of last century, passed away at 89. His most notable works were "The Crucible," a play about the Salem witch trials which satirized the excess of McCarthyism, and "Death of a Salesman," an American tragedy that deals with loss of hope in America. He was also known for his brief marriage to Marilyn Monroe in the 60s. He never retired, continuing to write plays up until his death.

Farewell, Arthur.
[Frown]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Death of a Salesman was pretty much ruined for me by English classes (and a really sucky production of it in college), but I saw the premiere of his second-to-last-play, Ressurection Blues in 2002 and it was incredible. I haven't seen his last play, but I know he still had what it takes at age 86.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Goodbye, Arthur. [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The end of an amazing life.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard this story on the radio. [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
"He died the death of a salesman, in his green velvet slippers..."
- Death of a Salesman

We have seen the passing of a great one.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kyrie
Member # 6415

- posted      Profile for kyrie   Email kyrie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 264 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to state the obvious, but Arthur Miller was a genius. Godspeed Sir Arthur.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Who will save us from McCarthy now?

I miss him already . . . [Cry]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a misty plot afoot so subtle we should be criminal to cling to old respects and ancient friendships. - Reverend Hale to Francis Nurse

This one stays with me, always.

A great play, The Crucible, by a great man.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, now I feel kind of bad. I hadn't even known he was still alive. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know he was still alive, either, Verily.
[Frown]
"I was out there with nothing but a shoeshine and a smile..."--Willie Loman

This has become something of a mantra for salesmen.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.