FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Funniest Dream I Ever Had

Author Topic: The Funniest Dream I Ever Had
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
...I had last night, and it involved Bob Scopatz. For some reason I was visiting him and Dana and their house was full of TV sets. They were all different colors, and he had given them all hilarious, punny names. He told me all of them and I told myself, "I have to remember these. They are so funny."

I woke up afterwards, and repeated the few names I could think of to myself so I wouldn't forget them. Then I fell back asleep and dreamed I was walking around a creepy new subdivision with a giant hovering angelfish chasing me.

Unfortunately, in the morning, I couldn't remember a single one of the funny names Bob told me.

Here's my question: did my brain honestly invent all these brilliantly witty puns and I just forget them, or were they something totally not funny and my dream just gave me the impression of humor?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the voices are getting restless.... [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I write things like that down, they're usually really stupid when I read them in the morning.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wha..... [Sleep] I don't remember [Dont Know]
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
When I write things like that down, they're usually really stupid when I read them in the morning.
So your brain must somehow be just creating the emotion of responding to humor rather than creating humor itself.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else want to know if Bob has ever named a TV set? *curious*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
were they something totally not funny and my dream just gave me the impression of humor?
That's where I'd put my money.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the illusion of humor, much in the same way that a nightmare, upon waking and re-telling, is not quite as terrifying as you imagined...

It's such a sensory experience for me -- a nightmare, that is. For instance, one time I dreamed my father had been killed because of something to do with the Beatles Anthology. They had him wrapped up in a black plastic trash bag.

Scary, and sad...but when I woke up, i realized that not only was the scenario laughable, but the guy in the trash bag didn't look *anything* like my father.

It's kind of like that weird thing in dreams where you *know* it's your house, or your boyfriend, or your dog, but you wake up and realize it was absolutely *not* -- didn't look the same, act the same, whatever.

What up wid dat?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh I had the weirdest dream last night, and I almost never remember my dreams.

I dreamed that I was in some post-apolocalyptic world where everyone was obeying Jack Chick. I was wandering through a house that I wasn't familiar with when I see a big crowd of people doing something similar to a roadshow but while chanting doom and gloom. The only person I recognize in the crowd is John, who I recognized from working on Music Man a while ago. I'm trying to drag him away but he won't move. I try harder but some random people from the crowd notice me and try to grab him away. All the sudden I'm holding a butcher knife and I stab a few of them before running down the hallway. At this point I'm feeling bad for stabbing them, thinking that Jack Chick will probably reinact it in a tract. By this time people are chasing me, and I'm trying to run, but the hallway doesn't get any closer.

[ February 17, 2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds freaky, SM.. O_o (hugs)

If we're talking about dreams, after class today I napped, sort of, and I had a series of lucid dreams, where stuff happened. [Smile] In one of them, I had wings. I clearly remember, knowing it was a dream, and being sad and hoping that they would develop the technology to give people wings sometime before I die. They won't, and that's sad.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All the sudden I'm holding a butcher knife and I stab a few of them before running down the hallway.
When I am stressed, I have been known to sleepwalk in my nightmares and get the actual butcher knife... [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Professor
Member # 5319

- posted      Profile for the Professor   Email the Professor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a weird dream, muppet.
quote:
At this point I'm feeling bad for stabbing them, thinking that Jack Chick will probably reinact it in a tract
Immortalized in a Chick tract, a fate worse than death.

I once had a dream and didn't like the ending. I kind of half awoke and decided I'd like to see a Director's Cut version, with a different ending.
I fell back asleep, and saw the Director's Cut version, complete with titles like at the beginning of a movie and the new, happier ending. I no longer remember what the dream was, just the opening credit reading "Director's Cut" and the fact that my dream was revised.

--Morbo

[ February 17, 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: the Professor ]

Posts: 111 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dad used to help me do that with my nightmares when I was little. Eventually it became automatic, until I largely stopped having them.

Unfortunately, they came back, with sleepwalking, when I was 15. [Frown]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally have dreams about people issues things that would never happen to me in the world that I exist at the time of the dream. For instance, being pushed by peer pressure into smoking, something I detest and getting married to someone I hardly knew where in real life I have to know people inside and out to really consider them friends!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I often wake up thinking I've had a really brilliant thought, and I'm on the verge of winning the Nobel Prize. But then when I wake up totally, I realize that it's something amazingly stupid or pointless, like, "If you were a dentist, you wouldn't need tooth insurance."

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream this morning just before waking up - one of those dozy dreams. They always tend to be really bizarre for me.

Anyhow in my dream I woke up, went out to the front yard to find three *huge* dead koalas on the verge. Like, semi-trailer size. They were wearing overalls. Then I managed to lock myself out of the house.

Weird, huh?

When I woke up I was kinda relieved not to see any koalas. Felt slightly gypped about having to get out of bed twice though.

Annie - Tony sometimes giggles in his sleep. Loud enough to wake me. He can never remember what was so funny though.

[ February 17, 2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Dead koalas on the verge of what?
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
A verge is some kind of landscaping item, like a hedge or a curb.

I am always getting weird feelings in my dreams that don't have a lot to do with how I would feel about those things if I were awake. I mean, sure a freudian would say they are some subconscious thing.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.