FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How would you react if your cat were gay, and used proper grammar?

Author Topic: How would you react if your cat were gay, and used proper grammar?
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you congratulate him for getting subjunctive mood correct, or would you both just mock those that get it wrong?

[ February 22, 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that you edited your post. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you get all tense about these things, AntiCool?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

No. But sometimes I just enjoy a good-natured mock.

But seriously -- growing up, my father was crazy about correcting our grammar. If I had a nickel for ever time he said "subjunctive case, statement contrary to fact", I'd [insert pseudo-clever ending to overused phrase here]. [Smile]

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*helpful* . . . have a large sockful of nickels that might be useful for beating people about the head with?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

What's that?

It's the sound of a pun going right over AC's head. [Taunt]

Off to pun jail with you. If you're lucky, we'll let Bev make conjugate visits.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Being oblivious to puns around me has significantly increased my quality of life, so there. [Razz]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've never heard such nounsense.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen! After growing up around my father, I'm inured-- mostly out of self-defense.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
I've never heard such nonsense.
No, I'm serious.

[Wink]

[ February 22, 2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Word.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

What did you just say about my mother? [Mad] [Mad]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to the thread's title, well, I'd start making some money of my talking cat, for pete's sake! (of course, I'd also have to take out stock in Claritin, since I'm desperately allergic to cats)...but, then, I'd retire on Fluffy's earnings and live the good life...perhaps in Tahiti...
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ice ice baby.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

In high school, my physics teacher had a cat named Fluffy. He would always give us word problems like "You shoot Fluffy out of a cannot with an initial velocity of 20 m/sec, at an angle of 30 degress. 100 meters away is a brick wall. How far will fluffy fall to the ground after hitting the brick wall?"
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Assuming a spherical Fluffy...
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I take my hat off to you, Dag. [Hat]
soubrette27
Member # 7417

- posted      Profile for soubrette27   Email soubrette27         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, we are totally going to have to try that!!! Where's my cat?

Has anyone else ever put bread and butter on a cat's back to see which was true, bread always lands butter side down, or a cat always lands on its feet?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The results were disappointing. The cat landed on its feet, and promptly rolled over on its back.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Off to pun jail with you. If you're lucky, we'll let Bev make conjugate visits.
When you put it that way, how can he decline?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Well, they might be to abbreviated to be worth it.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't leave him dangling, now. Spending time together is part and participle of married life.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

no con junction, no matter how abbreviated, would be "not worth it"! They live for those moments.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

In years to come, that last pun of mine will be looked back on as the single best pun of the 21st century. In the eyes of The Future: Perfect.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The wors thing about prison life is the food - low fiber diets are bad for the colon. That can put you in a comma, or make you have to dash off to the bathroom.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
My grammar is terrible. I know this and I appreciate it when people point out when I make a mistake.

I am confused, though. My Macmillan's says that were is used in if clauses that suppose something contrary to fact for formal English, but was is common in informal and general English, except in the expression As it were.

[ February 22, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because it's common doesn't make it prescriptively correct.

While your average linguist would accept it, a good English teacher wouldn't.

Actually, that's not completely true, since an ESL/EFL teacher would probably accept it.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, look. All your punning has claused Porter to flee the thread.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Do puns in gerund bother Porter?
beverly
Member # 6246

No, just puns. Period.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That was supposed to be a play on "puns injure and."

The multiwork puns are tricky to pull off.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Just because it's common doesn't make it prescriptively correct.

Can you elaborate on how using were instead of was makes the meaning of what I said more clear.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

If you are using the word "if", you shouldn't be using the word "was". It's called the subjunctive case.

Dag: I missed the pun, but I responded to the actual meaning of gerund.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I know. It was poor execution on my part. I guess I punted that one.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

quote:
Can you elaborate on how using were instead of was makes the meaning of what I said more clear.
Here's my understanding. The subjunctive mood is used whenever you are making a statment that is not true, such as "I wish I were an elephant". If it is present tense, you use the word "were", but if it's past tense, you use the word "was".

So, the meanings are different between "I wish I were an elephant [now]." and "I wish I was an elephant [yesterday]."

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Awesome, Porter. Thanks. It's clear to me now.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw crud. I was two posts from baggin "I'm not in the mood for this."
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an extraneous comma in this thread's title. It's not a compound sentence... it's a compound predicate, and as a result, it needs no comma before the "and."
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's my understanding. The subjunctive mood is used whenever you are making a statment that is not true, such as "I wish I were an elephant". If it is present tense, you use the word "were", but if it's past tense, you use the word "was".
I don't think this is right. It should be "I wish I had been an elephant."
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Pink or white?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.