FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Too liberal?

Author Topic: Too liberal?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
...or just too drunk?

My good friend Neal and I were hanging out last night, drinking beer and watching Monty Python Search for the Holy Grail, and later on almost got in a shouting match about politics! About how I wasn't "liberal" enough!

I find this very amusing considering I'm gay, listen to NPR, and not a huge fan of Bush...but apparently I'm not against Bush ENOUGH. I suddenly found myself defending the Republicans on certain things because Neal was going totally militant on me!

I was also trying to tell him now the top military leaders changed the structure of the army, after Korea, so that the only way to use the full might of the US military could only be used if the administration activated the reserves...forcing the Executive to take political responsibility for the wars and police actions they start.

Neal would have none of that! All he could focus on was the horror of reservists dying. I tried telling him that since he was already upset about it the plan was working. No luck.

Ahhh... just goes to show sometimes politics and alchohol don't mix. [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh - your friend demonstrates how fanaticism can manifest on either side of the fence.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, he only demonstrates how fanaticism can moanifest on one side of the fence. [Wink]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.

I just never thought my buddy Neal would become so militant. He, though liberal, was also a nice middle of the road guy. But now he's become like this fortress of the left. Maybe it's too much NPR and C-Span.... [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ye gods, cut poor Neal a break.

He was just high in spirits, after all.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Heheh... I know. Neal rocks.
L'Chaim!

[ March 07, 2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn you, Telp! Now that song is going to be in my head for the rest of the night!

quote:
To life! To life! L'chai-im!
L'chai-im, l'chai-im, to life!
If you've been lucky, then Monday was
No worse than Sunday was,
Drink l'chai-im, to life.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

hehe... [Evil]
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
The best cure for people ranting about politics without listening to the other side is slapping themin the face with a gauntlet. Meeting them behind the church at noon, and may the best man win.

Shepherd

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Bah - beer and whine do not mix.

-Trevor

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
But beer and cookies do!
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Beer, but not...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Saying that you aren't liberal enough is another way of saying that if you don't agree with him, you are wrong.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
You're totally incorrect on that one, AntiCool.

But since it's 'cause you just aren't liberal enough, I'll cut you some slack, Daddy-o.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm not against Bush ENOUGH"

Well, obviously. And if Neal wasn't such a flamin' rightwinger, he'da realised that it ain't even possible to be against Bush enough.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally try to avoid people so devoted to things that they will actually start shouting at you, not let go of the subject, not calm down, and then storm out of the room. As a member of a very, very liberal college, sometimes I think apathy is an unappreciated virtue.

[ March 07, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of RINOs.

I guess that makes you a LINO. [Wink]

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.