FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Holy Crap! I passed the 6!

Author Topic: Holy Crap! I passed the 6!
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! 82%!

For those of you who don't know, the Series 6 is a NASD (National Association of Securities Dealers) sanctioned test designed to weed-out morons from entering the securities industry (not that this doesn't happen, it just helps a bunch). The test is very difficult with intentionally misleading questions and potential answers that skirt the line of truth. It's rough stuff.

There are tons of products out there to help people pass this thing- that's how many people fail. If you do a Google search for "Series 6 Exam" or "Series 6 License" you'll see what I mean.

Going into this thing, I knew little-to-nothing about this industry. I had a vague idea what a stock or a bond was, but no realized concept. I had to learn everything to pass the test in three weeks. I studied my little butt off.

The payoff? I get a great job with a well-respected retirement services company with good pay and benefits. This means that I can provide for my family much better than my stupid hotel job AND the place is only open when the market is open so... NO WEEKENDS! And no third shift! Woooohoooo! <pumps fist>

Now I just have three months to pass the 63.... [Angst]

[ April 05, 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! Congratulations!

[The Wave]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh - people in our bank have to pass the "Series 7" test -- I have talked with many of them as they studied for months for it.

So how is the "Series 6" different than the "Series 7"???

Congrats on passing, by the way!

Farmgirl

(edit: I should add I'm talking about employees in the bank that work in the Trust, or investment, side of the Wealth division)

[ April 05, 2005, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! That's great! [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
cool.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*adds PC to list of people to get stock tips from* [Wink]

Congrats, I know this means a lot to you and yours [Smile]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
[Party]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I know what it's like to want to be able to enjoy your family and also provide for them. My husband has that dilemma. Good luck in your new job. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, man.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl,

The series 6 is for mutual funds and annuities.

Series 7 is for any corporate securities except futures and commodities.

Dagonee

[ April 05, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Farmgirl,

The series 7 is even harder. I won't be selling securities on the secondary market or working with equipment trust certificates or other, similar, securities. In order to do this, I'd have to pass the 7. The 6 is a 2 and a half hour test with 100 questions. The 7 is a 6 hour test with many more questions (though I'm not sure how many exactly).

So, since I'm working with Annuities, 401ks and IRA's, I only need the 6. I could also use a 6 to sell Mutual Funds and other primary offerings. Basically, anything that is required to be sold with a prospectus I can sell.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, I really don't have a clue what you guys are talking about. Sounds important, though. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Gumby
Member # 6303

- posted      Profile for Mr.Gumby   Email Mr.Gumby         Edit/Delete Post 
exactly what I was thinking, Miro
Posts: 312 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So.... I'm curious.

What made you decide to go this particular route with your life?

(one of my sons is interested in learning about investments)
Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adam613
Member # 5522

- posted      Profile for adam613   Email adam613         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 2580 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Necessity. They paid well and needed people with strong customer service skills (believe it or not I'm not as big a jerk to customers as I am here). I despirately wanted to get out of the hospitality industry (a dead-end place if there ever was one). At this point, without a college degree, I needed something where I wouldn't be killing myself every day just to make pennies and, while I won't be raking it in, this job does offer good compensation. It also offers 100% tuition reimbursement in the financial services field. So I can go back to school.

As to the rest, investment banking can be difficult. By and large, until you make some big clients, you don't make a lot of money and have to subsidize by working in other fields. I know a ton of reps who bartend or work construction or anything else to support them while they develop their client base. Only then can they switch to doing it full time and start making serious money. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you really have to work for it.

On another note, this whole situation has given me more hope for our economy. I now understand the circumstances surrounding the financial practices that lead to the Great Depression and the subsequent legislation that was crafted to prevent it from happening again. It's really tough to be a crooked investment banker these days. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a LOT harder.

It also lets me understand the gravity of the whole Martha Stuart Insider Trading scandal. Insider Trading is the Numero UNO "shame shame, naughty trader" thing to do. It carries significant penaulties. We're talking three times the profit of the insider trade or $1,000,000 whichever is greater, jail sentences and a lifetime bar from the industry. The material I studied repeatedly mentioned that it is the worst thing you can do as a rep. Churning, Selling Dividends and Breakpoint Sales don't even come close.

[ April 05, 2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
*adds PC to list of people to get stock tips from* [Wink]
Here's a tip: Until you have funds to meet emergency expenses, I don't recommend investing at all (excluding for your retirement). You need to be able to provide for yourself in any given situation before you start speculating with your money (even in strong investments with little inherent risks). Not taking care of outstanding debt (including school debt) will just hamper you as an investor while you try and put money away for the future and is a good example poor personal financing.

When you do start investing, look into mutual funds. Unless you have mucho dinero, you won't be able to invest enough money to sufficiently diversify your portfolio. Stocks are usually only sold in round units (of 100). If the stock is expensive (like any good blue chip stock) you're going to be spending hundreds of dollars on just ONE investment. Hardly diversified and your principle will be at stake. Don't even get me started on penny stocks. Those are HIGHLY speculative and can be dangerous to invest in without being a seasoned investor.

So, back to mutual funds. With a mutual fund, you can buy partial shares in small amounts (or large) and the fund provides all of the diversification (unless it's not a diversified fund- such as a specialty fund [eg. Biotechnology Funds]) you'll need. The investment advisor will purchase stocks and bonds to meet the fund's investment objective (such as: Safety of Principle, Income, and/or Growth), and do his best to insure that the objectives are met. All that you need to do is select a Mutual Fund(s) that fits your investment objectives. If you don't know what that is, talk to a financial advisor. They'll ask you questions about your financial status (net worth, tax bracket, investment history/experience) and recommend investments appropriately

That's not to say that any of this is guarunteed money. Market risk is always present. If there is a general downturn in the economy (such as we've seen Q1 2005) most funds won't do well or may loose money, but you'll most likely loose a hell of a lot less than you would had you invested that small amount of money on your own.

[ April 05, 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

That is a big accomplishment. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you!!
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
holden
Member # 7351

- posted      Profile for holden   Email holden         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations PC. Don't worry too much about the 63, it isn't much.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Congrats!

[Party] [Party] [Party] [Party] [Party]

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.