FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Your favorite classic composers / compositions

Author Topic: Your favorite classic composers / compositions
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine:

Ludvig-Van Beethoven - Moonlight sonata, Pathetique Sonata, Appassionata Sonata, Waldstein Sonata.

Sergei Rachmaninoff - Prelude Op. 3 No. 2 in C sharp Minor, Prelude Op. 23 No. 7.

Wagner (even though he was antisemetic, the man was one great musician!) - "Die Walker" (folk music) "Ride of the Valkyries" and "Magic fire Music"

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

[ April 19, 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Copeland's "Appalachian Spring"
Any Bach, especially the "Little Fugue" and "Air for the G String"
Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"
Gershwin's "Rapsody in Blue" (if that counts)
I also like Mozart, though not as much as most people do. Beethoven is good too.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I play some of those on the piano. I also really like Chopin. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Rachmaninov's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susie Derkins
Member # 7718

- posted      Profile for Susie Derkins   Email Susie Derkins         Edit/Delete Post 
How loosely are we using the term "classical" here? Because I really love Palestrina.
Posts: 285 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Wagner. But he's not really classical. I love him anyways.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so hard. I don't have a favorite anymore.

I think Mozart was non pareil, anything he ever wrote.

Wagner is completely off my list now although I used to like his music.

The only thing I like about Beethoven is the Ode to Joy.

Cherubini's Requiem Mass

Faure's Requiem Mass

Various things by Mendelsohn

I like narrative ballet music (favorite: Sleeping Beauty)

Smetana (because anyone whose bday you were born on has to make your favorites list unless you were born on someone like Hitler's b'day): The Moldau (the first piece I ever loved [Smile] )

Puccini: Turandot

and lots of others I just can't think of just now.

I love music.

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

quote:
I play some of those on the piano. I also really like Chopin
Which compositions were you relating to?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, there are too many to list! I like so many of them. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Bedrich Smetana-- Moldau

Carl Orff-- Carmina Burana

Randall Thompson-- anything; The Last Words of David, Allelujah, Frostiana

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which compositions were you relating to?
Moonlight and C# minor. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Me too - only on Moonlight I did only the (relatively easy) first part, and From my favorite list I also did part 1 of Pathetique.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Moonlight Sonata. My sister used to play it on the piano quite a bit at home. I miss hearing her play. [Frown]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because anyone whose bday you were born on has to make your favorites list unless you were born on someone like Hitler's b'day
Strangely ironic, since today is, in fact, Hitler's birthday.

*cue Twilight Zone music*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting timing, I just finished a semester of Music Appreciation 101, and had to do a write up on 10 compositions.

My favorites we listened to this year:

From the Baroque period - it doesn't get better than Handel's Messiah. Yes, I know we hear the Hallelujah chorus every year, but it's just amazingly beautiful.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons, especially Spring Even though you hear it all the time on the Weather Channel, it's still wonderful music.

The Classical period didn't really appeal to me all that much.

The Romantic period, I loved. Chopin's piano music, Tchaikovsky's ballet music, and Brahm's.

I have to agree with amira on Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini That was wonderful.

My favorite piece we listened to in the entire course was Smetana's Moldau Perhaps it's just my Bohemian ancestry coming out - my grandfather was of Bohemian descent. [Wink]

Twentieth Century art music I can take or leave. Mostly leave.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So how many years does it take to get to classic? Cars it’s like 20-30 right? So 40 years should cover it right? (Somehow I doubt it, but I’ll still put in my favorite)

John Williams.
The Music of John Williams: 40 Years of Film Music

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

[Smile]
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Woah. Weird.

I have been avoiding this thread. I can't possibly narrow anything down, I like so many compositions for so many reasons. I'm an instrumental music listening nerd, a choral music conducting and teaching nerd, and a solo music listening, studying and singing nerd. There's no way to narrow down favorites.

Ahem. Maybe I'll list 3-4 of my favorite CDs. Yeah. I'll do that!

Choral: Eric Whitacre - Complete A Cappella Works 1991-2001

I've given this CD as a gift no less than 5 times simply because I think that everyone should own a copy. And I know that it's music that everyone can relate to and enjoy. He is one of the most talented contemporary composers out there and I promise that you'll love his stuff. He sets the most beautiful poetry too, some Octavio Paz, e.e. cummings, Emily Dickinsen, and Charles Anthony Sylvestri.

Instrumental: Respighi - Ancient Airs and Dances

It's cruel for me to ask myself to pick one CD, but I actually listen to this one purely for fun and driving, so I figured I'd better suggest it. Respighi was not a composer in the "Ancient Airs and Dances" time period. He was much later. Yet he writes in the old style and comes up with some delightful pieces. I love them all!!

Vocal Solo (namely soprano): Regine Crespin - Berlioz: Les Nuits d'été

This CD has more than Berlioz, but it is all French composers. Some of my absolute favorite compositions by Ravel, Debussy, and Poulenc are also on this CD, sung by one of the silkiest and most fantastic mezzo sopranos voices that God ever gave to anyone. Get this if you love the sexy French style, get it if you love Debussy...I promise, you'll like it.

Sorry. I totally derailed your thread, but now I feel better. Cleansed. [Big Grin]

[ April 20, 2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Leopold Stokowski's orchestral arrangement of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue. (It's the one they use as the first piece in Disney's Fantasia.

I also like Beethoven's 3rd, 5th, 6th and 9th symphonies and Fur Elise.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know names of some of the pieces I like.

Tocatta and Fugue, Fur Elise, Flight of the Bumblebee, (whats the name of the Beethoven one that became a song in the mid-50's "How Gentle is the Rain" or something like that) Rhapsody in Blue, Bolero, several others that I just don't know names. Sometimes I'll tune in the "classical" channel in hopes of being able to identify one or two - or of finding new-to-me pieces to like.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
So many
too many to name
Like, various operas... Mendolsohn's Heberdes overture, Faure's Dolly Suite, Mozart's Great Mass in C Minor.
So many!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.