FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Relaxing Music

Author Topic: Relaxing Music
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the most relaxing song or piece you have ever heard?

What piece can take you from wound up tighter than spring to lying limply in your chair, like a puppet without its strings?

Mine would be Debussey's Claire de Lune.

I come home after spending over 10 hours at school, slog through another 4-6 hours of homework, look at colleges, and then I work for whatever time I have left...

And I just turn on my computer, play that piece, and I am clean, refreshed, and ready to begin again.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I go through phases of listening to a certain song on repeat over and over. It's usually a very relaxing song. At the moment, it's "Theme" from the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack.

In the past, it's been "Buon Giorno Principessa" from Life is Beautiful, "Fairy Dance" from Peter Pan, the theme song from Voices of a Distant Star, usually something from a soundtrack, now that I think about it. [Smile]

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
i like the first track "a way of life" on the last samurai soundtrack. The second track's good too, but it'll make you jump after you heard the first. played it while reading CotM. feels nice [Smile] Pearl Harbor's first 4 tracks help me relax after school

Emma Bunton's Free Me CD is real nice too.

Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, movie soundtracks are great for relaxing. My favorites are Meet Joe Black, Glory, and Return of the King.

For a killer classical piece though, there are several that you must have for your relaxation collection:

Meditation from Thais by Massenet

Symphony No. 5, 4th movement by Mahler

Symphony no. 9, 2nd movement by Dvorak

Air on a G String, by JS Bach

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"Embraceable You", Ella Fitzgerald. And any ballad played by Keith Jarrett. Especially "It's All in the Game". And virtually his whole album, "The Melody at Night, With You".
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hapa-the whole album. It is a Hawaiian group.

http://www.hapa.com/105/

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Elizabeth, I listened to the Hapa sample of Waika, and it is a beautiful song. I actually prefer the Cazimero Brothers version of it:
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=O9t136OEOK&EAN=761268202123&ITM=2

Unfortunately the sample cuts out before the best part of the song. [Roll Eyes]
But try "Soft Green Seas" and "Welina O'ahu" as well. I love these guys.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I will, cashew. I think Hawaiian music in general is the most soothing I can think of. The Hapa album "Hapa" ws my choice when I was in the hospital having my son. (Stephen Stills was also on that album)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

I agree. I spent eight years in Hawaii in the 70s, and grew to love the music.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Air on a G String, by JS Bach
There's one who knows BWV 1068! From my well-favoured Orchestral Suites.

I think that the unquestionable leader would be "Mache Dich Mein Herze Rein" (sp?) from the St Matthew's Passion by the same JS Bach.

Although, come to think of it, the Passion also has "Wenn Ich Einmal Sohl Schleiden" (sp?). That's a pretty calm version of "O Haupt".

Beethoven, it kills me to say, has the Moonlight Sonata, which is every bit as calming as Air, but played on piano.

Or, possibly, "Watermark" and "Angels" by Enya?

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to listen to recordings of humpback whales.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's Barber's Adagio for Strings. It's so slow. And then it gradually worked itself into a spot of quite exquisite tension, but that tension is resolved so absolutely and satisfyingly, that the denouement leaves me completely relaxed. The release is delicious.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Goin out West by Tom Waits. [Smile]
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever heard the music of Yuhki Kuramoto? I was introduced to his music through our Japanese exchange student back in high school. She had a piano book. Now I only wish I had made copies of those songs. I've tried to find a book to buy online, but all of the sites are in Japanese so I can't find one. I did find a few mp3s online, and they are wonderful. Very relaxing.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"Raindrops" by Chopin
"These Foolish Things" played by Dave Brubeck

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
You are Free album by Cat Power
Our Endless Numbered Days album by Iron and Wine
() album by Sigur Ros

Those three albums are all mixed together in one playlist in my iTunes entitled "Relaxing Music"

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The song "Safe at Anchor" by Kate Wolf. (Listen to a few bars from it here, although the quality's not great.) Actually, most of the album is relaxing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.