FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » boot question for techies -Completed_with glitch

Author Topic: boot question for techies -Completed_with glitch
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I have some weird obsession with reformatting my hd. I don't know why, I just like to do it. I have, however, run into a snag in my latest scheme.

I am trying to dual boot 98 and XP on the same machine. The purpose is to run really old games that keep crashing on xp.

I have done some research and it says to install 98 first on one partition and then xp on a different partition. By installing 98 first, the installation of XP will configure the boot manager so I have an option as to what OS to use at start up.

I set up my hard drive to have 3 partitions:

c: 15G for 98 planned for Fat32
D: 20G for XP planned for NTFS
E: 45G for storage. planned for Fat32.

The partitions exist but are not formatted. I tried to install 98 and didn't give me an option to choose which partition to install it on. It detected files, I deleted them, and it recreated just one partition.

I used my xp disk to recreate the partitions. When I tried 98 again, I told it to keep detected files...but it never formatted--it said there was not enough memory.

I have now created just two partitions (for XP and storage) and I left 15G unformatted--hoping 98 would just partition, format, and use the unformatted space. My computer is frozen now on formatting the drive (been at 0% formatted for half an hour.

MY QUESTION: How do I get 98 installed on just a partition of my HD so that I can later install XP? I can't find any help on this particular problem on the internet.

[ May 13, 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have to install it on your Primary partition to make it work the way you want it
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Windows 98....that brings back memories. LOL. What ancient games do you want to play so badly that you would go to this trouble???

We should try troubleshooting the games on xp rather then worry about installing 98. That way you can just format your entire drive in NTFS.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

When I try to format on what I assume it is choosing as teh primary partition, it says, " Please insert the following disk in drive E (or your cd-rom drive): Windows 98 boot disk or CD-Rom. When yo uare ready press enter."

I press enter, and it gives the same error message.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used Partition Maqic to install multiple operating systems. You might want to check it out.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I have already created the partitions. Does partition magic also help with the actual OS installation?

I am sure I am just doing something small wrong. Do I create the partitions first, before I install 98? If I do, how do I tell 98 to install in a specific partition?

Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
If the partitions are formatted...meaning you have two FAT32 partitions and one NTFS partition, then Windows 98 will only detect FAT32 partitions...giving you two choices. Choose C:\, and it will install in the primary partition that is FAT32.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Is there a way to format it from a boot disk?

Edit to change "partition" to "format."

When I try to format it with my exp disk, it immediatly goes to installing the OS.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Question, how did you create the partitions? If you used you used Windows XP to do it, that might be the problem. FDisk works better for partitioning before a Windows 98 install, because it allows you to determine which partition is active. Windows XP doesn't set secondary or tertiary partitions as primary partitions, which you need in order to install 98.
Note that Windows 98 does not include its own partitioning software in the install process. You HAVE to create partitions manually with FDisk before the Win98 install program will recognize the drive.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I have left the partitions raw so that 98 could format them, maybe that is what my problem has been. Now I just need to figure out how to format the c drive.
Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
Is there a way to format it from a boot disk?

Edit to change "partition" to "format."

When I try to format it with my exp disk, it immediatly goes to installing the OS.

Yes. Type "format C:/u"
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

You can format the C: drive from the Windows 98 boot disk. You do have one, right? [Smile]
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Question, how did you create the partitions? If you used you used Windows XP to do it, that might be the problem. FDisk works better for partitioning before a Windows 98 install, because it allows you to determine which partition is active.
I used XP. My Fdisk did not recognize all of the partitions or the logical dos drives. I will try remaking an Fdisk.

So, if I use fdisk (my usual preference) and set a raw partition as active, then 98 will format that to Fat32 for me and install the software there?

Boris
Member # 6935

Windows 98's installation is nothing short of stupid. I've never done (nor had reason to do) a dual boot Win98/XP setup before, so all I have is theory. I can see it working in my head, and all the stuff you have to go through to do it, but for the most part, I'd have to actually do it to give you the step-by-step process.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

I'm not sure Windows 98 knows how to format, or if it just partitions everything. Boris is right, it's pretty retarded. Can you use a boot disk and get to a command prompt? From the command prompt, you can format any partition you want.
Boris
Member # 6935

FDisk doesn't recognize NTFS partitions. It will see them as non-DOS drives, and they probably won't even show up in the list of partitions. The way you have to do things for this is remove all partitions with FDisk (delete non-dos partition is the command to remove NTFS partitions, i think...Something similar to that at least). Then recreate the partitions with the sizes you want, selecting the partition you want for Windows 98 as the active, primary partition (An easier method for this is actually to create only one partition on the hard drive and leave the rest unpartitioned). Once that is done, reboot and format the C: drive. Installation of windows 98 should work from there. Once Win98 is installed, Windows XP installation handles things better. When it asks for the drive to install on, it will allow you to choose from the remaining partitions or the unpartitioned space. When you choose unpartitioned space, it will ask how much of it you want to use for the installation drive. Pick a size, and it will create that partition and you can then format it for NTFS. Once everything else is done, you can then partition the remaining disk space in Windows XP for Fat32.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite boot is the Sorel.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Skechers boots
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
When did techies start wearing boots?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Arghhh!! I can't formatt the drive.

I have an ME boot disk, and when I type format c:/u is says I need to retry or abort. Grr... When I use my 98 disk, it says I need to put the 98 dsk in in-order-to format. It is in. I even tried another 98 disk.

Why won't it work....I am beginning to see why 98 gets such bad flack.

EDIT: I just used a 98 boot disc and formatted the drive to Fat32, but when I put in the 98 CD and try to install the OS, it is still making me reformat the drive (even tho I told it to keep the files). When I try to reformat it with the CD, I get the error saysiing please insert the 98 CD.

grr arrg...I think I will go to payless and get me a different pair of boots, and chuck them off a cliff!

[ May 12, 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

Boris
Member # 6935

Well...Ya know, I just gave up on the old games that XP won't play. I really wish I could play Privateer 2 again, but I've realised it just isn't going to happen for me.
lem
Member # 6914

Here is an update. I decided to partition the drive I want to use with the 98SE boot disk. I also formatted the drive with the bootdisk. I also booted the computer with the bootdisk.

I then put in the 98SE cd, and found what directory my comp read as the cd drive. It is drive f.

In the boot menue dos thing, I changed director to drive F. I looked at "dir" and can see the 98 cd.

When I type "run setup" or "run f:/setup", It says, "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E."

Does anyone know what that means? Why wont it read my CD? Is it trying to read it from the E drive or is my cd not working?

grr arrggg thhhbbbbbt!!!

[ May 13, 2005, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: lem ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's trying to run the run command on the current drive selected, which is apparently E:. And failing, for obvious reasons.

You don't want to use the word "run." This is DOS, man.

Type the following:
code:
F:
setup

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

wow! It is working Tom! Thanks! When I type "setup", is there a command I can use in dos to tell it what partition I want it to set up on?--just out of curiosity. I am thinking of having 500mb on the c drive for just my boot information. I heard that is a virus deterrant, and since it is 98, every little thing helps.

Right now I only have a 14G C partition that it will let windows load. I am thinking of putting in the 500mb on C and 14 on D, but if I can't direct 98 to install there, I will let it be and continue with the installation.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Visit http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186111 for a description of the setup.exe switches Microsoft wants you to know about.

By default, it will install to the C:\ drive (and will copy its setup info there, too; make sure you have room). If you're running 98SE, I believe it will also ask you during installation which drive you'd rather install to (but it's been a LONG time, so I might be wrong.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

To quote Dora:

"I did it! I did it! I did I did I did it!"

It worked. I used 98 SE disk to create a 500MB and 12 G partition. I used the boot disc to format both drives. I used the boot disk to tell the CDROM to "setup" windows 98. Durring setup, it said windoes would be installed in C://windows. I changed the directory to E: (which was the 12 G partition.

I installed 98se on the 12G drive. I then used the XP Home CD to create to more partitions. A 40G partition was created for back_up and a 20 G partition was created for XP. I then Installed XP.

It works! it works!! Thank you for all of your help!!!

It did create an extra drive. It is calling it H:. It is not taking up any of my disk space, but it is being really annoying...just sitting there. If I try to rename it or format it, it says:

"H: is not accessible. The parameters are incorrect."

Like I said, I can account for all the MB on my HD, if it is taking up any room, it would only be a couple MB. I just want to delete it--but I can't!!!!

any ideas?

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. What happens when you boot your computer? Does it actually give you a choice between operating systems?

As to running old games in XP, can you not use PIF files anymore to give dos programs the appropriate access, or am I dating myself here?

I don't use XP anymore, and I don't feel like googling around for it, but it just seems like all this dual boot stuff is probably unnecessary. There has to be some kind of workaround where you can give a program the appropriate permissions when it runs in the dos box so it can do what it needs to do. Microsoft is usually pretty keen on backwards compatibility, and learning how to make XP do what you need it to do rather than some (no offense) rather laborious workaround would seem to be more beneficial both for general knowledge and for ease of use, both in the present and down the road.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

XP runs on the NT kernal, which is not compatible with DOS4GW, which is required to run most DOS games.

There are some fairly capable DOS emulators out there. But I've never had the desire to try them out.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
Interesting. What happens when you boot your computer? Does it actually give you a choice between operating systems?
Midway in the boot, the screen stops and gives you a choice to choose between Windows XP and Windows ("Windows" being 98). XP is the default OS that is highlighted and you have 30 seconds to choose a different OS.

quote:
learning how to make XP do what you need it to do rather than some (no offense) rather laborious workaround would seem to be more beneficial both for general knowledge and for ease of use, both in the present and down the road.

More then anything, I just wanted to see if I could make a dual boot system. I like to experiment. It is also beneficial for me to know 98 for my work.

I got my foot in the door of the school district by running the computer lab. I was not hired as a computer guy, I am just a low paid babysitter who has the sign-up sheet for the lab.

Moving from social work to the school district has paid off. Next year I will finally be a teacher. They really like me because even tho I was not hired to do the networks, I just assumed the responsibility.

There was no network person at this school and when I first got here, the computers and the network were in complete disarray. The teachers didn't even use the labs. I cleaned up the computers, got the network running with student folders, and have since been learning everything I can about computers to be an asset to the school.

Because half of the computers are 98, I thought it would be a good idea to have 98 on my computer. I would like to be comfy with 98.

After my student teaching at this school next year, I will then inherit a class 5 periods a day and have 2 periods to work on computers/networking. Working on the comps will give me a bonus to my pay.

As it is, I now have XP and 98 on my home computer. I have DSL working on both OS and I have all the updates.

The only problem now is the glitch (fake partition) and some odd files on my back up partition. I think it may be because I used the 98 boot disk to format a 46G partition. I am now reading up on how to use disk management in XP. Maybe that will give me clues.

In the end tho, I am just having fun.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim installed a DOS emulator to play those old DOS games, and he managed to make it work perfectly fine. Wouldn't it also be possible to set up a virtual installation of Win98 or would that not do the job for you?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

I am not altogether certain what a virtual 98 is.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I can check with Fahim in the morning. I think he has a virtual installation of XP - to test programs and such on - but I wonder if, since that can be done, why can't a virtual install of Win98 be done as well. He's much more the geek than me, so I'll ask in the morning. Um, you may want to bump this thread in about eight hours so I don't forget. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

OK.. I have a partition (k:)that is 46G that I created. I put on 5.7G worth of old back up stuff...and like an idiot, I deleted it off of my 2nd hard drive.

I logged on tonight, and there is nothing in k:

Eekkk.

Does anyone know how to recover files? I ran chkdsk k:/f and it said there was a bad sector it fixed, but there is still no files there.

I ran chkdsk again, and it finds and fixes the same sector.

Now for the fun part, when I look at the properties, it says there are 5.7 G used space, but when I look inside, there is nothing there.

I am viewing hidden folders. WHere is my backup?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I talked to Fahim about a virtual installation, and he said you need to install VMWare from www.vmware.com and then install Win98 into it. There ought to be instructions and much more information at the site.

Good luck!

As for the lost partition, as far as I know, it's gone, although I suspect alpha geeks may have better answers. I, personally, don't have a clue. Sorry.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If nothing's been written to the partition, you can attempt to reconstruct the partition table and it'll likely work, with any drive table reconstruction tool you choose.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Because half of the computers are 98, I thought it would be a good idea to have 98 on my computer. I would like to be comfy with 98."

It might make more sense to just ditch those computers and replace them with XP machines. It's cheaper than trying to run Windows 98 on something nowadays, as far as I'm concerned, and your network will be happier.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, the TCO on the 98 machines has to be hideous.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

How did you format the "missing" partition? Is it NTFS or FAT32?
lem
Member # 6914

I formatted it Fat32 with the 98SE boot disk.

I want to recover the files so that I can try fixing the partition. I think there was a problem in creating it because when I created it, an H: that is 0kb big and inaccessible was also created

The H: partition does not show up on the disk manager. It is only viewable in "My Computer." It was created at the same time I made my Fat32 Backup Partition that my files are missing on.

I think the two problems are related.

Once (IF *fingers crossed*) I recover my files, I will try renaming the backup drive to H:. If that doesn't work to get rid of that inaccessible H: that cannot be formatted, deleted, or examines, then I will use disk manager to delete and recreate the partition.

To answer you question, it is Fat32.

lem
Member # 6914

quote:
If nothing's been written to the partition, you can attempt to reconstruct the partition table and it'll likely work, with any drive table reconstruction tool you choose.
Do you know of any good guides or programs that does this? It is vital I don't loose the data, and I don't trust myself (with the type of data I may loose) with trying the wrong guide or program.
fugu13
Member # 2859

There are numerous tools out there to do it; the best thing to do given your lack of experience with the tools would be to purchase one of the many commercial options and use it.

This pops up (as an ad) on a google for "windows repair partitions" http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm?source=google1 , and looks like it should be able to do what's needed.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.