FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prayers requested my daughter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Prayers requested my daughter
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Natalie, my oldest was complaining of her ear hurting, I looked at it seemed to be just a pimple inside the ear. So I told her just to be careful of it and it would go away.

Well, 3 days later she came downstairs after bedtime saying she was trying to sleep but her ear hurt too badly. Her entire ear was bright red, almost purple. I of course kept her home from school the next morning and took her to the doctor, which was yesterday.

He said it looks like a staph infection and it's already spread some beyond the ear, there is some pinkness around her cheek and upper jaw. The ear is swollen, and still purplish and hot. She's on antibiotics and he has her applying dry heat three times a day but he wants to see her Monday if it hasn't gotten any better by then.

She's taken every med, and is doing the heat but it's not improving yet, I know it's only one day. But the doctor seemed worried, and that of course makes me worry, especially after my cousin's bout with flesh eating bacteria.

So good thoughts and prayers will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
She's in our prayers...
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
She's in mine as well. Sounds eeerily like what I had going on. Eeesh!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
((((Natalie))))
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, anything ear-related is terrible [Frown]

Hope she gets better soon

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear! Please keep us updated. She is in my prayers.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
She's in mine. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Natalie is in my prayers, as well. [Frown] Poor dear.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm praying for Natalie and you, Belle.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogan Josh
Member # 8024

- posted      Profile for Rogan Josh   Email Rogan Josh         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Natalie and Belle and family)))
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, that was me.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, honey! [Frown]

(((Natalie))))

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and good thoughts headed your way, Natalie. (((((Belle)))))

Doing any better today?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

No, no better. Maybe even slightly worse.

An RN at church looked at it and recommended we return to the doctor tomorrow. She said with it being most likely staph (we need a culture to be sure) her next step could be IV antibiotics.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope she gets better soon.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yikes! [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the ER, Belle?
I sure hope it gets better!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, when we were in AL we got staph infections a couple of times (and they were exquisitely painful). I had one on my leg and it hurt just to walk. Aside from visits to the doctor, colloidal silver (both topically applied and a small amount ingested orally) seemed to work well. The swelling and pain went down rather quickly. They stopped not long after we moved back to AZ.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Natalie))) I had mastoiditis as a little kid that made my ear turn the wrong way and landed me in the hospital. Prayer seemed to work just before I was to go under the knife. The surgeon thought there might have been a chart mixup.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hopeful thoughts comming your way.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's hard, especially for a kid. I hope it gets taken care of soon. My sister had a staff infection once that required IV antibiotics. We could watch it spreading before she got treated. I know that sounds difficult, and getting the IV is hard but it worked very well.

Another thing that works topically is something called Tea Tree oil. It is penetrating too, so it doesn't just work on the skin. My sister got the same infection a couple of other times, and we were able to stop it in its track with this stuff.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Done, Belle & Natalie. Best luck recovering quickly and as painlessly as possible.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Natalie recovers soon. Thinking about you and your family, and please keep us updated.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Any updates, Belle?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't pray much, but what I do comes from my heart.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sending positive thoughts your way.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You have my prayers too.

Any word from the doctor today?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Praying.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
My prayers are with her for a speedy and safe recovery.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, Natalie is most definitely in my prayers for an easy and swift recovery.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs))) We've been praying. Still are. I hope she's better soon.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
hugs and prayers, Belle, for Natalie and all your family
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Please know that little Natalie is being prayed for by hundreds of people as we speak. May the Lord's healing hand be upon her.
Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
I added her to the prayer list at my synagogue.
Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope she is ok! Hugs and prayers are being sent your way.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

You guys are wonderful, all of you.

The doctor was disturbed that it hadn't gotten better, but he did note that according to the notes her chart about the extent of it on Friday, it hadn't changed or spread any further, either. It was exactly as it was, he said the notes could have been written that day.

She's still in pain, obviously, and there is some crusting and weeping in the middle of the external ear. Thankfully the ear canal itself is not affected.

Since the antbiotics seem to be holding it at bay, he wants to keep doing what we're doing but he added a topical antibiotic and steroid to be applied to the area in addition to what we're already doing.

She went to school today, said as long as she doesn't bump or tug on her ear it doesn't bother her much, but this child has extremely high pain tolerance - she's the one who had a broken bone in her thumb and didn't tell us it was bothering her because it only hurt "a little" And she's the same one whose ear drum almost ruptured before she asked us to take her to the doctor.

We'll just keep praying that it heals, though I don't think there's been much change today.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it gets better soon...though at least it is not getting worse.

my prayers are with you and your daughter

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Been kinda worried. How is she doing now?
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
As I wrote in response to quidscribis bout with ear infection
quote:
...considering the prevalence of antibiotic-resistant strains of otitis-causing bacteria. It may be that all you are doing is breeding greater [antibiotic] resistance into your [daughter's] bacterial colony.
If you click on the link, you'll see that the recommended dosage for treatment has been bumped up considerably.
And your physician may not have been informed about the CDC's new recommendation. So you may want to talk to your physician about high-dosage treatment.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
may the angels
watch over her
with the greatest of Grace.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone talk to Belle on the phone? Maybe someone who does might call her and tell her about aspectre's post? And give us an update?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea. I switched to the higher dosage of antibiotics, and two courses later, it still didn't work, so had to switch to another antibiotic to finally kill the thing.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Hey guys, we have been dealing with a new crisis. Natalie is doing better, thankfully. Either the addition of the topical antibiotic made the difference or the oral antibiotic finally took hold, but it has gotten much better, not nearly as red and the swollen area is much smaller.

Emily was treated the same day for an earache, and all the doctor found was a build up of wax. He had it irrigated, told me to put drops in her ear as well and it should be fine. Well it hasn't been fine, she's still in pain and today was sent to the nurses office crying, and the nurse called me to say that there was still a bunch of wax in the ear, she couldn't see the eardrum.

So I decided to take matters into my own hand and irrigate it some more at home. Note to anyone else attempting this - don't give up. Ear irrigation is a long process. I was poised to quit after getting very little out after a good five minutes of squirting water in her ear when finally we got some major chunks of icky stuff. (sorry for the faint of heart or weak stomached)

So I kept going, and was finally rewarded with what probably caused the whole thing - a tiny blue tube. Yep, she had tubes placed surgically when she was 11 months old, and this one had never fallen out. It had probably fallen out of the eardrum and become lodged in the ear canal, where the ear's natural defense systems treated it like a foreign object and wax got built up around it for a long time, maybe years, I don't know. At any rate, it's out now, she says she feels tons better. Bet she can hear better too.

So Natalie's better, I saved the day with Emily, and if I can only get rid of the impetigo that Abigail just came down with I'll be doing good. [Wink]

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

Yay!!
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that Natalie is doing better. We hope that all of your children are illness/injury free soon. Still praying for complete recoveries all around! JenniK and Kwea
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, Belle! Thanks for the encouraging words about earwax and persistence. That's an issue with my daughter too, though not because of tubes. I'll remember for the next time I have to irrigate her ear. It's my least favorite thing to do. Rainy doesn't like it much either.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news, Belle!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.