FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top 10 Ways to Destroy the Earth

Author Topic: Top 10 Ways to Destroy the Earth
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
been looking for a way to reduce the planet to rubble? Well here are a few ideas

Straight to the list without intro.

Though I personally kind of like the Earth, so anyone planning to demolish, please feel free to wait until we have a few other planets to choose from. [Hat]

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
Other planets...I'm holding out for the land of Dairy Queen.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I like the "light bulb" and "von Neumann machines" solutions best. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
The von Neumann one reminded me of an episode of the Justice League
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I must destroy the earth. It blocks my lovely view of Venus. Now where is my Imudium Q38 Exploding Space Modulator.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grisha:
The von Neumann one reminded me of an episode of the Justice League

Reminded me of several episodes of SG-1.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice they are looking for the entire planet to be turned to rubble, mantle, crust, core, and all. That's a bit of a tall order, harder than just killing off most or all of the life thereupon, which only takes disrupting the atmosphere enough, easily accomplished by a small mountain-sized asteroid.

Did you know that the Moon was formed when a Mars-sized body struck the proto-Earth a glancing blow? Both protoplanets ended up as melted blobs plus orbiting rubble, which coalesced into this crazy double planet, the Moon Earth system with the Earth getting most of the iron and heavier elements, and the Moon all rocky and mostly silicates.

The very easiest way to destroy the earth, in my opinion, is to wait 4 or 5 billion more years until the sun swells up and becomes a red giant. Then it will literally swallow the planet whole. I'm surprised that didn't make the list, as it's pretty much inevitable unless we stop it somehow. Plenty of time for that, though. I'm not worried in the slightest. If our descendants live until then they'll surely have the technology to do any little minor planet moving jobs that they care to put their fine-motor-appendages to.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The very easiest way to destroy the earth, in my opinion, is to wait 4 or 5 billion more years until the sun swells up and becomes a red giant.
We don't have that amount of time! Why not just send another test message on the Moscow-Washington link saying "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"?
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.