FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you reading?

Author Topic: What are you reading?
Cr1spy
Member # 8407

- posted      Profile for Cr1spy   Email Cr1spy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought it would be interesting to hear what everybody else is reading.

I Just finished Elantris by Sanderson (Thanks to OSC on the heads up there)
Currently reading: Good to Great by Collins and starting Magic Street

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares----cheesey YA fiction to gear up for the school year.

Actually I think Brashares does an amazing job creating realistic teenage girls.

Before that I was rereading the HP series so I could read #6.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
The Eschaton Sequence by Frederick Pohl.

I'm about to give it up as second-rate crap. Definitely not on par with some of his other stuff.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
1984, by George Orwell.
It's for school, but I'm loving it.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, a thread on Hatrack?

Aside from that, last night I finished reading The Color of Magic, by Terry Pratchett, and I just started Conquistador, by S. M. Stirling. Thus far I am unimpressed.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
The Blood of Heaven by Bill Myers.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*grumble* my history texbook and study guide, I have a final tomorrow.

But then I'm done with history! No more history, I've finished all my history credits!

*dances*

Actually, history isn't all that bad, I haven't really minded it. I've just had a bad instructor and the extremem misfortune to get him two semesters in a row.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I read Conquistador by Stirling and I wasn't impressed either. Great premise, but the guy really isn't much of a writer. I remember reading it, esp some of the dialogue, and thinking...my writing is better than this. Now I just have to get my novel completed and published to prove it.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Slowly making my way through Seventh Son (I think I get a page or two a day, if that)

and Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
"Politics UK" - also for school.
On the plus side, I just read Tarka the Otter for the first time, and I liked it.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing right now, but recently The Neverending Story, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Crystal City.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Silverberg - Roma Eterna

^
|
One of this year's birthday gifts. Not enjoying it very much though... [Dont Know]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch. I'll get through it out of a sense of duty because I recently finished A Fairly Honorable Defeat and found it wonderful and wise and provocative.

Poetic Justice by Martha Nussbaum. The book trots out compelling arguments for the novel as a cultivator of public wisdom and for legal education to acknowledge the partial-- but essential-- role of the moral imagination in the judicial process.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperion Cantos (Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion) - Dan Simmons. Second time through, as I'm preparing to read the Endyimon books).

afr: Where are you in the trilogy? The first book is indeed... well, it's dismal. I recall the other two being passable, but nothing that meets his average I'm afraid.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Re-reading A Storm of Swords and beginning Magic Street.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces at the moment. It's pretty funny, but I have yet to encounter a character I remotely like.

Actually, I have yet to encounter a character. Nearly everyone central enough to get fleshed out is still pretty much a charicature. That's not so much a criticism as an observation. It doesn't seem to be the author's intent to craft a story about real people.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the new Harry Potter, and now I'm in the middle of Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have a couple books going at once. I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, rereading Les Mis, and starting the complete collection of short stories by Joseph Conrad.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces at the moment. It's pretty funny, but I have yet to encounter a character I remotely like.

Actually, I have yet to encounter a character. Nearly everyone central enough to get fleshed out is still pretty much a charicature. That's not so much a criticism as an observation. It doesn't seem to be the author's intent to craft a story about real people.

I don't know, I actually quite liked the character of Jones. Also, the cop (can't remember his name at the moment) is a pretty good guy. The great thing about the book is that the least likeable character is the main one. Not many authors are gutsy enough to do that.

Oh, and right now I'm reading Demons by Doestoyevsy, Olympos by Dan Simmons and Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Olympos by Dan Simmons
Grrrrr... Someone already bought me a copy but it won't reach me until late September. [Frown]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading a bunch of old Economist articles on Russia, China, Inda, and Brazil. And by "a bunch" I mean I've at least scanned ANY article written from 1985-2003 that mentions one of those countries. It's for an economics study I'm doing...

For fun, I recently read The Bone People by Keri Hulme (Booker winner in 1985). Harry Potter, of course...

I'm currently "reading" Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script. Mostly just struggling with hearing a difference between an aspirated and unaspirated b or d. I've also started reading my book list for my ethicial theory class. Right now I'm on Passions Within Reason: The Strategic Role of the Emotions by Robert Frank. It's a very, very interesting book.

On the fiction side I've been reading or rereading some of the books up at Baen's Free Library. I really enjoy the 1632 series by Eric Flint. Might just have to go out and buy the next ones in the series that aren't posted at the library. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Architraz: I'm fairly close to the beginning. They're all sitting in the 6-walled prison being waited on by the Dopey.

The characters are so wooden and cliche. It's awful.

Contrast that with The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson, which I just finished, which was an awesome book in all respects right until the very end. All the characters were so much more round and vibrant.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Sophocles' Philoctetes, Michael Chabon's The Final Solution: A Story of Detection, and C. S. Lewis's Out from the Silent Planet. I just finished Chabon's Summerlands: A Novel, which I enjoyed quite a bit, S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire, which was entertaining but not especially good, and Silverberg's Roma Eterna, which sucked badly enough that I returned it to the library after reading only a third of it.

I've read a fair amount of Stirling's work; I typically enjoy his ideas and just kind of put up with the writing. Conquistador was by far the worst of his books that I've read, I have to say.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading Catch-22 for a class that's starting in the fall. I've wanted to read it for quite a while, and now I have an excuse. [Smile]

I'm also in the middle of Bel Canto (can't remember the author off the top of my head), but it's not keeping my attention very well.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Phew, so I'm not the only one who thinks Roma Eterna isn't much of a book!
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm re-reading Goblet of Fire , and will start Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott next
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Rereading "Eargon" by Christopher Paolini to get ready for the release of "Eldest" book 2 in the series later this month.

I just finished Harry Potter HBP and

Bono's book (sort of a auto bio in an interview format)

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
A Vintor Vinge novel. It's okay, but only okay.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finshed The Historian, and I am finally getting around to Heartfire by OSC. I also have Master and Commander on the nightstand, but can't read that for very long before I dose off.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm re-reading Magician: Apprentic by Raymond Feist. It's more sword-and-sorcery-esque than I remembered.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Roma Eterna didn't impress me at all. Then again, I am such a Philhellene that anything vaguely Roman just bores me to death...

Like the Aeneid, which I'm currently reading for class.

I'm also (re-)reading Olympos, which, incidentally is amazing, and Harry Potter.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by His Savageness:
quote:

I don't know, I actually quite liked the character of Jones. Also, the cop (can't remember his name at the moment) is a pretty good guy. The great thing about the book is that the least likeable character is the main one. Not many authors are gutsy enough to do that.

Oh, and right now I'm reading Demons by Doestoyevsy, Olympos by Dan Simmons and Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb.

I like Jones, too, but he's (so-far) still a bit of a cliche and hasn't been directly in the plot enough to matter. The cop would be very likeable if I could slap a spine in him. However, I haven't finished the book so I reserve the right to modify my opinions. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I'm in the middle of reading:

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower by Stephen King.

The October Country - A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
No Phule Like An Old Phule by Robert Lynn Asprin

The Name by Franklin Graham

and
The NIV Bible

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fort at River Bend by Jack Whyte. Just finished Jumper by Steven Gould and Cut and Run (I think that was the name) by Ridley Pearson. Liked them all.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Middlemarch by George Eliot (AKA Mary Evans).
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like Jones, too, but he's (so-far) still a bit of a cliche and hasn't been directly in the plot enough to matter. The cop would be very likeable if I could slap a spine in him. However, I haven't finished the book so I reserve the right to modify my opinions.
Yeah, I guess I am making my assessment based on the end of the book which, I won't go into any major detail at the risk of spoilers, comes together quite nicely and in quite an amusing fashion.
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading The Complete Sherlock Holmes in the evenings and listening to Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince audiobook while driving.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
About halfway through Magic Street. Next on my list (I think) is going to be Eragon but that may change.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started re-reading all the Harry Potter books as I wait for the new one to become available through the library. When I reserved it, I was number 1481 on the waiting list. Now I'm...

*goes to check*

... number 1106. Yoopee!

So I'm halfway through the first one right now.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
  • How to Mother a Successful Daughter by Nicky Marone
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furniture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear, and Much, Much More! by Denise and Alan Fields
  • Dr. Spock's The First Two Years : The Emotional and Physical Needs of Children from Birth to Age 2 by Benjamin Spock
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two by William and Martha Sears

I've just about gotten through the first 3. I have a huge stack that I'm working my way through.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished The Last Report on the Miracles at No Little Horse by Louise Erdrich last night. I'm a big fan of Erdrich, so I wasn't too surprised that I really liked it.

Not sure what to read next. I've never gotten all the way through Emma despite two attempts; I might give that a try again.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

I thought Roma Eterna was okay. It helps to know that it is not, in fact, a novel, but a collection of short stories.

-o-

I really thought Confederacy of Dunces was terribly overrated.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
The Stand by Steven King
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

Ooh, I just finished that recently! Are you reading the restored (1150 page) version?

Not a perfect book, but King is such a great writer of characters that it rips my heart out sometimes.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a magnificent book, and reading about the five women it focuses on is simply fascinating. Even more, Kingsolver creates a distinctly different voice for each character's narration and manages to create five very central and very well-developed characters.

Highly reccomended.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.