FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want people to read my poems and tell me what they think

Author Topic: I want people to read my poems and tell me what they think
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

- posted      Profile for Son of Shvester   Email Son of Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Shvesterson, son of Tante Shvester. I am 14 years old and will be entering high school in September. My hobbies include writing poetry, performing magic, and clowning acts (i do birthday parties for children)I want people to read my poems and tell me what they think. I will post all or my previous poems here and when I write a new one, I will post it here. So if you like poetry or just want to tell me what you think I would appreciate it if you would post your oppinion.
Below is my first poem:
FATHER, MAN IN THE WHEELCHAIR

My father
The man in the wheelchair
A cripple with no physical strength
Unable to breath
Without a vent

The cripple
When people see him
They see his wheelchair
A nonliving machine
No one sees the man in the chair

Genius
The smartest man I know
Inspiration
A hero who perseveres
Despite the chair

Wheelchair
Societies name for him
Because of Dad’s weakness
Seen as a nonliving machine

Cripple
Wheelchair
Nonliving machine
No feelings
Not human
Words that burn like flame
If I were him I would break down
But he perseveres

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have a great sense of rhythm and consistency, Shvesterson.

(It is difficult to critique poems like this, because they lay so deeply on the author's soul. It is an almost too personal poem-- it makes the sensitive reader flinch to read it.)

There are a couple spelling errors that threw me out of the poem, but if you go back carefully, I think you'll see what they are and fix them quickly.

Nonliving machine is redundant. In most poetry, you want to keep it as slim as possible. (I'm a hypocrite sometimes when it comes to this.)

'Words that burn like flame' is too cliche.

The poem pounds into us that other people think that this man is non-human. What I want is EVIDENCE in the poem that they are wrong. Why does the narrator consider him human? What examples can be given in the verse?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I quite like "nonliving machine". It's got a lovely rhythm to it and I think it brings harsher connotations than simply "machine" would.

You've used the word "perseveres" twice. Was this intentional? To me it sounds repetitive. Could you use another word for one of them?

Of course, if you were aiming for repetitive as a poetic technique, ignore that. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
You Son of a Shvester! [Razz]

See, without prejudice - let's just say that this is not my personal style at all. It's a stream of consciousness, it's impying depth but depth that's understood to you. As far as I see it (and don't take m for an expert), it's got lines with different meter, and the bonds between the lines are a little weak.

Look at "Wheelchair / nonliving machine / no feelings / not human / words that burn like flame", for instance: the first four lines are fine, and well made. The use of the initial letter (Linear alliteration?) is well chosen. But look at the fifth line (of my quote) - "words that burn like flame". How does that line connect to the previous four? Is it people's words that burn in the cripple's mind? If so - state it. Is it the actual use of words in the poem itself that burns like flame? And who burns - the cripple or you?

Think of yourself as the reader, and try to make it more coherent. While I like the poem, and it has some briliant parts "When people see him / they see his wheelchair / a nonliving machine / no one sees the man in the chair". I'd drop line three, but I loved the idea of how people miss the true person.

Try to read poems by the great writers of the English Language (Coleridge, Tennyson, Yeats, Wordsworth, Donne, et cetera), and then see how you write poems. Read all the time, keep reading, and when you're done studying their poems read some more. My first poems were almost pure sludge, but I'm slowly improving. My current project is progressing well as I'm getting used to it.

Another important thing is never to rely on your muse. If you've got muse - write. But don't rely on it; write a poem once a day, or once a week, but keep writing whatsoever. If you follow the patterns of rhythm (and if you want, rhyme too), you'll find yourself doing a little more all the time. Or at least I do...

I had to do something creative for Prophets' class, and I had to dwo it about the wars Joshua had up north (burning Hatzor, et cetera). So I wrote a little Hebrew pom in a classical but funny style, and that's just how it was. I got no muse that week, but I had to write nevertheless. So I managed without muse. But that's just a little tip of mine.

I like you, so don't take my critique harshly. I only recommend some stuff I think will aid you more than a plain "lovely!" comment. I like your poem, but work on it: you''ve got short lines, and too many of them (for their length). Start by writing something short and condenced - maximum [coherent] meaning, minimal space; then go big. There's a saying that states "Milton didn't write Paradise Lost in one day" (fine! I changed the original a little, so what? [Razz] ).

I feel like Tom when he commented on my first poem. I know he did it for the best, though! [Smile] Trust me, I've been where you are, and you'll be great. You've just got to set a few things straight, like everyone here.

Welcome to our forum. Speak, friend, and enter.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

- posted      Profile for Son of Shvester   Email Son of Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
If there are any negative oppinions about my previous poem give me a bit ot slack as it is the 1st poem I ever wrote. perhaps my 2nd poem (below) is better.
Also from now on when commenting about my poems please include in your post the name of the poem you're writing about.
Now without further ado my 2nd poem:
EMOTIONS

My emotions
So complex
They are all mixed up
I feel happy while sad
And forgiving while angry
How I miss the days
When my feelings were simple
I knew what I wanted
I knew how I felt
But my feelings now
Unexplainable
Indescribable
Impossible to express
My poems
Just black on white
Only a garbled reflection
Of what I truly feel
How can words
Explain the unexplainable
Describe the indescribable
Unscramble the impossibly entangled
How can people know?
How I truly feel
After tragedy and pain
They only see the reflection
Garbled
Diluted
Only a reflection
Of what is truly real

Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK - I am now going to comment on your second poem - Emotions.

You have a lovely linear division - and you chose when to split it up wisely. (I'd call in prose rather than poetry, but that's my opinion.) My recommendation is you work on punctuation in poems - 'cause otherwise you get into a bit of trouble.

Look at this:

quote:
How can words
Explain the unexplainable
Describe the indescribable
Unscramble the impossibly entangled
How can people know?
How I truly feel
After tragedy and pain
They only see the reflection

You put one question mark after "how can people know", but it should have been placed following "after tragedy and pain". The way you made it, I thought it meant "How can words [...] how can people know? How I truly feel after tragedy and pain," and following that I expected "[how I feel] is that <description of feeling>", but found "they only see <description of things they see>". Meaning, it made no sense, and I had to look at it again.

If you put punctuation, you'll get more coherence, and it will help you write your poetry in a more structured way; just like any other writing.

I'm sorry I can't comment much more, but my style is completely different of yours. As I recommended before, read a LOT of existing poetry, so you've got some poetical grounds to stand upon. Study much, and you will need much less commenting. I, for instance, barely come here asking for critique any more - I revised my own work as much as possible, and deleted my lamer poems. Also, you’ll find yourself writing better poems.

I much preferred this one ("Emotions") to the previous one ("Father, Man in the Wheelchair"). Kudos on a very elegant thought!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

poem #3:
LAUGHING AT TERROR

People laugh at tragedy and fear
They do not know what they laugh at
They have never felt then
They do not understand
They do not know
I know what they laugh at
They laugh at my pain
My suffering
My weakness
They do not understand
How can they know?
Without heartbreak
Without tears
I too used to laugh at fear
I did not know
But now
After tragedy
Heartbreak
Mourning
Fear
And now
I have feelings that I never knew
Emotions that many will die not knowing
Not knowing is a luxury
I envy those who have it
They are still able to escape
They were never ensnared
Their luxury is at my expense
When they laugh at problems
When they hide from them
They make them worse by not helping
Soon they will see what they hide from
Only when it is too late do they learn
Only when they stop hiding
Will they stop the pain

Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

poem #4: (inspired by the movie Paper Clips)
THE POWER OF ONE

One
A seemingly insignificant number
Yet also a powerful number
A single match can ignite a forest
A single person can start a revolution
But only if that person believes he can
A pessimistic view can douse the flame
Seemingly small compared to a flame
But capable of great things
Like burning the forest
Pessimism extinguishes the match
Before a flame can rage in power
Sometimes the wood takes time to catch
The flame can be doused
Without ever existing
But with fuel of high hopes
The match can burn
Sparking a fire
Reforming the forest
Anyone can do it
But only with perserverence

Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

poem #4:
THE TRAP OF PRIDE

Where’s the love today
With so much war and murder
Homicide
Violence
Hate
Intolerance
So much
Too much
Is it human nature to be intolerant
Why do people need to kill
Because others are different
Does killing make one better
Are those who are different evil
Why can’t they see how much is the same
More is the same than different
But similarities are hidden inside
Color voice and appearance
Are all that people see
They see their own
They see that of others
They compare
Look for faults ignoring the good
Begin to hate with fiery rage
They begin to believe that different is evil
They want to destroy it
Confusing murderous bloodlust with righteous fury
They see others like them
They preach to them their corrupted views
Soon others join forming an unstoppable evil
They call themselves righteous better
The master race
A race of biased monsters
Zombies under a corrupt master
Their hate becomes who they are
They become slaves to difference
Soulless murderers
Because others look different
Intolerance is a trap
So subtle
Like a drug
It attacks its victims slowly
Telling them that they are good better than others
Then it strikes
Pride and prejudice are its weapon and lure
Once it has you escape is impossible
Bloodlust keeps you in
You feel you have power when really you don’t
Heed this advice so you may escape
Open your mind’s eye see past the illusion
Look at the inside don’t judge the outside
Befriend the different
Read between the lines
Avoid pride and prejudice
Only then can we destroy the trap

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If there are any negative oppinions about my previous poem give me a bit ot slack as it is the 1st poem I ever wrote.

Hm. Do you want honest opinions, or do you not want negative opinions?

Because I'll level with you: these poems are very, very bad. But they're a promising beginning; they indicate to me that you've got an ear for words, which is about half the battle.

The other half comes from learning to use the words you're hearing. And the best way to do that is to read more good poetry.

What kind of poems do you like to read? Who's your favorite poet?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

poem #5
THORNS ON A ROSE

There must come a hardship before every gain
A thorn for every rose
A loss for every gain
Nothing worthwhile is easy to gain
There are no free rides or shortcuts
The obstacle add worth to the treasure
An easy gain is worthless
All of worth is hard to get
The thorn makes the rose more desirable
The gain outweighs the loss
Nothing worthwhile it easy
There are no free rides to any gain
If you do not try you do not gain
Brave the obstacle
You can do it
The gain outweighs the loss

Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

TomDavidson my favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe. I especially like the emotion he put into The Raven with the raven not letting him forget the loss of his wife

My favorate poem is called At My Bar-Mitzva And His. It is a very emotional piece of work about the haulocaust and appreciating what we have today.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* While I'm not a fan of Poe's poetry, myself, I can certainly understand the appeal.

If you like what Poe writes, take a look at how he puts his poems together -- the rhythm, the rhyme. Try to write a poem using the same meter, and rhyming in the same way, about a completely different subject. See if different rhythms come more naturally to you, and if different meters produce different "moods" in you regardless of the words of the poem.

"The Raven" has a fairly interesting rhyme scheme; it's a good one to practice, mainly because it's so strong and distinctive. Why do you think Poe uses what's called "internal" rhyme, instead of just rhyming at the end of every line? And why does he repeat himself so much?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why does he repeat himself so much?"

He lived with Beethoven.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought - over on the Writer's Side, they repeatedly remind people not to publish more than a line or two on the forum - this is to protect your work.

They suggest asking for interested reviewer's e-mail and doing critiques that way.

It can also be a valuable place to work with writer's -

Poe . . . I LOVED the dramatic readings my father would do for me of his poetry when I was young. I wish he'd still read to me, and I am parenting a child not too much younger than yourself.

Keep writing!

[Laugh] T_Smith.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming, since Shvesterson is posting them here, he doesn't intend publication. (If not, get them off, now! [Smile] )

My thought is that your rhythm is beautiful, and the content can be improved by more concrete, as opposed to abstract, words.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I got myself a second-hand anthology on English poets fo a low price. One of my best decisions in the past year. Could be very useful.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.