FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Some things never change...

Author Topic: Some things never change...
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Pakistan wants a to build a protective wall.
link

Chinese Emporers, Hadrian, Russians, Israel, California...Is a wall really the best solution? [Dont Know]

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 8171

- posted      Profile for Tigger   Email Tigger         Edit/Delete Post 
No - but it sure makes for a lasting monument.

Of course, Frost did expound on the virtues of fences between neighbors, so perhaps these walls can be looked at as extended fences?

Edit to add: [Roll Eyes]

[ September 14, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Tigger ]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the problem? Every country in the world protects its borders from smugglers and the like.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 8171

Yeah - but the civilized, democratic ones do it with guns and border guards, silly - not monumental walls. [Razz]
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tigger, you've clearly never studied Frost in a literature class...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 8171

Oh, I dunno, AJ - does Honors English in the 80's count?

I neglected to insert the "sarcastic" and eyes rolling smilie, since I thought it rather obvious. I'll go and put that in, shall I?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
that would have helped....considering we get some young things in here that say stuff like that quite seriously.
[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigger
Member # 8171

I just wish I were that young again.

*mock shudder*

What am I saying? High school was awful and junior high was worse.

Of course, I did have a classmate in high school that wrote his paper on the merits of fences, and that Frost was a blithering idiot for suggesting otherwise.

He also wrote awful stories of mayhem and general mass destruction, including short stories on torturing the teacher which she rewarded with A's . . . ah no - I would not like to revisit those years.

I'll pay more attention to appropriate smilie use, AJ, from here on out. *grin*

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yeah - but the civilized, democratic ones do it with guns and border guards, silly - not monumental walls. [Razz]

Well, the article says it's a barbed wire fence, which is pretty much what we have on our border with Mexico and Canada. I grant you that the article doesn't say that there will be armed patrols, etc., but I'm assuming that there will be since spending the time and money to put up a barbed wire fence without any other kind of measures would be pretty stupid.

I'm also guessing that Pakistan's interest in this is not just academic, since they have their own terrorists that slip into the country, blow things up, assassinate people and what not, then slip back across the border into the wilds of Afghanistan. This also doesn't count the drug smugglers that I'm guessing are not well loved by many sectors of Islamic Pakistan.

But you could be right. Maybe they're just going to build a fence and walk away.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You know who is behind all this wall building, don't you?

The wallpaper lobby.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they could take the N. Korea/S. Korea route and install a 2K wide zone filled with land mines with huge barb-wire-topped fences on either side.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, they could work with their neighbors.

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to derail the thread.

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years back I read that the DMZ between the two Koreas had become an incredibly rich strip of land, from a biological perspective. Sewing the ground with landmines has, oddly enough, created a very effective nature preserve. Some larger animals are killed by the mines, but not as many as would be killed by hunters and loss of habitat.

Wish I had the article to link to, but I think it was in a paper publication, and I'm feeling too lazy to google for something similar.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Save the planet--mine the world.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually destroing all human life might just save the planet... Not that I advertize this... o_O
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Small Green Martian
Member # 8597

- posted      Profile for Small Green Martian   Email Small Green Martian         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually destroing all human life might just save the planet...

Save it how? Save all life? Humans are very very unlikely to wipe out all life on the planet, it's practically impossible, even if we tried our hardest.
Save certain species of large animals/plants? Nope, they're most likely going to perish some time anyway, that's how nature works.

So by save, you really mean extend the living-period of certain species by a certain amount of time. Which isn't really worth Sapien-cide if you ask me.

AW

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.