FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Customer Service for Hurricane Victims

Author Topic: Customer Service for Hurricane Victims
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of two minds on how I feel about this. It's sort of frustrating.

For those who don't know, I work e-mail customer service for a rather large bed company. We've donated at least 120 beds to shelters in MS and LA, and over 8000 pillows. For our customers who've lost their bed in the hurricane we're providing invoice copies for their insurance (obviously) and a 25% discount on a replacement bed, which I'm pretty sure is selling it at a loss.

But we get people writing and calling in who want us to just replace their beds outright, at our cost. They tell us their stories about losing everything, and that's really awful.

So there's the problem: I'd love for us to be able to just replace everybody's bed. Heck, I'd like us to be able to give everybody a bed even if they did own one of our beds in the first place. But: A) I doubt we could do that without going bankrupt. B) This is what homeowner's insurance is for.

I don't know if I have a point or not. I don't blame anybody for asking if we'd donate them a bed. But when we say what we can do and they argue that it's not enough, I don't really know what to say.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have no choice but to be direct and honest.

Something like:

"Well, I can't do that, but I will tell you what we can do. We will:
- Send you a copy of your original invoice so you can file the claim under your homeowner's insurance, and,
- We will replace your bed for 25% OFF of the original cost.

So, when you get your insurance settlement, you can buy a new bed and have money left over. Or you could buy a new bed now if you'd like and we'll honor that 25% discount.

I really don't know how else to handle it. It's sad, but there's just no way that a company should go under because it wants to help. I think a steep discount is amazingly generous, actually, and I think you work for a great place!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, that's pretty much what we say right up front. Today I had a few people write back and argue about it, saying that if we gave away free beds to shelters that they "A PAYING CUSTOMER!" ought to get a free bed, and then going into more sad stories and all.

I think the people who are still living at the shelters we donated the beds and pillows to are in worse shape than anyone who has a place to put a bed of their own right now. And has internet access to email me about it, for that matter.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I didn't think of that angle. Yeah, I want a free bed too! If you can give them away to some shelter, you can give them away to relatives by marriage!

I'd have a hard time being remaining cordial to someone like that.

Even if they had a horrible story.

I wouldn't know what to say either. Maybe just "we're doing all we can for everyone who was hurt by the disaster."

maybe just "I'm sorry."

Wow, that's so amazingly unreasonable.

Drat.

I wouldn't want to be mean either, but shoot, there's no way a company could do that.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.