FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Being a homeowner means paying bills...

Author Topic: Being a homeowner means paying bills...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
....or things get turned off. [Smile] So I've taken over my late Mom's house. My brother is living here too...and somehow instead of us splitting the responsiblity down the middle I got stuck with trasfering all the utilities to my name. I think I might have to buy his share of the house from him anyway so whatever... but still, I've never been totally responsible for everything in a house before and I guess I lost track of some of the bills.

Yes...I forgot to pay the internet bill...and last week while playing online....*bzzzzwoooo* down it goes.

Opps.... [Blushing]

I'm back now. [Smile] Who needs a hobby when you have a house!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Telpy, seriously! I finally got all my utilities put on direct debit so I don't ever forget. It's so nice.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. Have you considered mugging powerful people from the utilities companies and getting them to give you immunity?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Telpy, seriously! I finally got all my utilities put on direct debit so I don't ever forget. It's so nice.
That works great when you know that money is actually in your account when the bill goes through every month. When you're living paycheck to paycheck, maintaining a high enough balance isn't always an option.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Valentine014, that's true, but most utilities will let you skip one bill without cutting you off. It's the second bill that if it's not paid on time they will disconnect you. The fees for reconnecting you are hefty, too, and they always seem to pick Friday afternoon to disconnect, meaning they will charge extra weekend reconnection rates. Being disconnected is extremely expensive.

It's true, though, that my trouble was always forgetting to pay, not lacking the money to pay, which is much scarier. I am so absent minded about things like that!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I admit to having one automatic bill pay. My car insurance is very important. My mother insisted that I get that one on auto. They have severe penalties for missing a payment. And hell, even I can manage $80-90 per month.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Valentine, have you considered switching to Geico? [Smile]

Okay, I'm only half-joking. They really did save us an enormous amount. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I do every bill possible automatically. If they won't do that it virtually guarantees it'll be paid late. I don't like writing checks, and never have stamps and envelopes.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The only automatic withdrawl I have is rent, but everything else is payable online from my bank. I use the first paycheck to pay most of my bills, and the second paycheck to pay the phone and the other big things. It's great - nothing's late now.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at her checkbook*
*looks at bill file*
*nods sadly*

Even when things aren't getting cut off bill-paying still sucks.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Just figured I should point out that even automatic bill pay doesn't solve all. I received a bill from the city utilities which threatened to shut off my water etc. I thought it odd since I do automatic bill pay. It turns out they never received (or lost) the check and my bank is reissuing it, but doubtless they will still charge me a late fee.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, being an ex-homeowner apparently means paying bills too. We sold our house in Bellingham, and now it appears the gas is about to be turned off because *we* didn't pay the bill. Eh, not our house anymore, dudes. The titling company was supposed to switch all the utilities, but they didn't do it. When we got the bill, we tossed it out, thinking that it was all taken care of.

Well, it is now. I am just glad that we didn't have that on autobill pay (we only do that for our mortgage). We might have gone a couple of months before noticing we were still paying that bill.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

quote:
Wow Valentine, have you considered switching to Geico?
See, I know you have to be kidding. This is the rate I pay for full coverage, renter's, and all the special little things you can get on car insurance. No one I know pays less than that for what I get.

It helps to use the same insurance company since you were 16.

[ October 10, 2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Quicken is a life saver (although I hear Money is just as good). I use Bill Pay, costs about $5 extra per month, once stamps are taken into account.

I use the calendar in Quicken to remind me when everything is due.

On time bill-paying is a critical element of credit scores. One cutoff won't hurt the score too much. But it's worth taking precautions to be on time with everything.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Val, that is an INCREDIBLE rate.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

We just don't mention that teeny tiny little ticket I got when I was 16 and caught in a speed trap. I took the 8-hour class and no one is the wiser... [Wink]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... my biggest problem is forgetting to pay bills. Curse you ADD!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.