FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calculus.

Author Topic: Calculus.
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are really really good at math. I'm decent- I got a 108% in precal last year. That's incredible for me. But I say I'm decent because there's one thing I don't understand.

Implicit differentiation.

I'm completely, hopelessly, helplessly lost. Does anyone out there know of a way to get me to understand this quicker?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if you've seen it, but Wikipedia has an article that deals with it a bit.

I can't think of a good way to explain it online though, but if I have time later and someone hasn't beaten me to it I can try.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably making it more difficult than it is. The basic premise is that we can find derivatives of functions even why y isn't completely seperated out. The key is remembering how to treat a function with y; basically you treat y like any function of x using the chain rule. Depending on the question you may want to solve for dy/dx or find the derivative for a spefic value.

Here is a quick example:

sin(2x-y2) = 17y
d/dx(sin(2x-2y)) = d/dx(17y)
cos(x-y)d/dx(2x-2y) (chain rule) = 17(dy/dx)
cos(x-y)(2-2dy/dx) = 17(dy/dx)
multiply through
2cos(x-y)-2dy/dx(cos(x-y)) = 17(dy/dx)
move dy/dx's to one side
-2dy/dx(cos(x-y)) - 17(dy/dx) = -2 cos(x-y)
divide out leaving dy/dx
dy/dx = -2cos(x-y)/(-2cos(x-y)-17)

The whole key is remembering the chain rule and getting dy/dx's on one side.

There is a neat little website giving some step by step examples:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/3/implicit.7/

Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I know my calculus.

You + Me = Us

Ah, 2gether, what an awesome parody band

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. It's like KPhysicsGeek said. You just differentiate each side with resepect to the variables. Then you try and get all the dy/dx's to one side. It's not too bad.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are really really good at math. I'm decent- I got a 108% in precal last year.
You may be decent at math but your statement suggest that you precal instructor was not.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably a little thing I like to call 'extra credit'.
Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, remember that y is actually y(x). So when you differentiate a function with y in it, you're actually differentiating a function within a function. So the derivative of [y(x)]^2 is 2y(x)*y'(x), or 2y(x)*dy/dx depending on whether you're using Liebnitz or Newton notation. You're using the chain rule here, as others have mentioned.

Once you've done the differentiation, you can solve the resulting equation for dy/dx to find the derivative of y.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by genius00345:

Yes but then that begs the question, 108% of what? Certainly not possible points or maximum points. 108% of what?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
It should be pointed out that you can't always get an explict expression for dy/dx even doing implicit differentiation. (ie you can't always solve for dy/dx)
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
108% of maximal points on required work.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If enough extra credit is being given to average 108%, then a sickening amount of grade-inflation is going on.

Unlike a lot of teachers, I am not totally opposed to extra credit. But extra credit should not be capable of raising your average by as many as eight points.

I agree with Rabbit.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

The class was weighted- as is Calculus, Physics, all AP classes, Honors English 3... you get the drift. My actual "grade" was a 98% of the maximum points, WITHOUT the 10% weight that they add to the report card. My precal teacher was the best teacher I've ever had- she's one of the NHS advisers, and has been teacher of the year quite a few times. She's incredible at what she does- where other teachers have a hard time getting students to understand things, she just got them to click with me. Keep in mind, most of my grades cluster around 97%-99%, without weights, and I always have a 100% in band, because it's a participation grade. But my teachers don't offer extra credit... I just did really well in precal.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Actually, that website really helped. Our teacher explained it in about 5 minutes, but never really told us when to use the d/dx, when to find a regular derivative, and nothing made sense. I think I get it now. Thanks.
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KPhysicsGeek:
You are probably making it more difficult than it is. The basic premise is that we can find derivatives of functions even why y isn't completely seperated out. The key is remembering how to treat a function with y; basically you treat y like any function of x using the chain rule. Depending on the question you may want to solve for dy/dx or find the derivative for a spefic value.

Here is a quick example:

sin(2x-y2) = 17y
d/dx(sin(2x-2y)) = d/dx(17y)
cos(x-y)d/dx(2x-2y) (chain rule) = 17(dy/dx)
cos(x-y)(2-2dy/dx) = 17(dy/dx)
multiply through
2cos(x-y)-2dy/dx(cos(x-y)) = 17(dy/dx)
move dy/dx's to one side
-2dy/dx(cos(x-y)) - 17(dy/dx) = -2 cos(x-y)
divide out leaving dy/dx
dy/dx = -2cos(x-y)/(-2cos(x-y)-17)

The whole key is remembering the chain rule and getting dy/dx's on one side.

There is a neat little website giving some step by step examples:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/3/implicit.7/

When you took the derivative of sin(2x-2y), you forgot to make it cos(2x-2y) instead of cos(x-y) multiplied by everything else with the chain rule.

[ October 18, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Eldrad ]

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
2gether reference. Awesome.

"Yo, robin's egg blue is my color b@*&h!"

Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
A Calculus-based anecdote of sorts: Three friends from my Calculus BC AP class (as well as the Physics C AP class) and I started a boy band known as the Gr4duates (the 4 was because we graduated in 2004). Our hit song was "Integrate My Heart," although the lyrics have long escaped me now. The Gr4duates really didn't go very far though, aside from doing group karaoke (singing Backstreet Boys and N'Sync songs) at our Project Graduation.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
OH GOD!!! NOT THE "C-WORD"!!!

*runs from thread screaming*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
+C
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
At functions' party, everybody is having fun. You can see Square Root and Addition grooving all around, Logarithm is boozing with some friends, Cosine is chatting some girls up. But there, in a dark corner, Exponential is sitting all by himself, sad and blue, his eyes fixed on the ground. Tangent and Arc Tangent approacch him and say: "Come on, what you're doing there! It's a party, you gotta have fun! Just integrate with the others!". Exponential glances them even more depressed and replies: "and how exactly would that change things?"
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrogGirl
Member # 8747

- posted      Profile for FrogGirl   Email FrogGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Random question:
you don't live in MD do you Tinros?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

No, I'm in Ohio. Why?
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
HollowEarth: [ROFL]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Unlike a lot of teachers, I am not totally opposed to extra credit. But extra credit should not be capable of raising your average by as many as eight points.

I agree.

1000% [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.