FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When you first started . . .

Author Topic: When you first started . . .
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you with a recent enough registration date, what topics does the forum list as topping the list when you started out on Hatrack? And hey, think about what this means: it was these topics that attracted you to this place.

Mad, Mad November--some contest that mack was playing up
Il neige encore!--Annie's celebration of early snow
How exactly do Dobies help anyone? Or do they at all?--Bok, not complaining, but dobie-ing other threads. Oh, how we've changed.
No, I don't think hatrack is going down the tubes, but I do have an idea.--Wow, this never comes up anymore. [Razz]
I Wonder Why... A Thread About Religions and Joke-making--Wow, I actually remember this thread. This one was the reason I joined up. Thanks, Jenny Gardener.
Help negotiate a lease--The age-old tradition of asking for Jatraquero expertise.
How exactly does Dog help you? Or does he at all?--Another dobie. I must have been a confused newbie until I figured out what these were.
Help!--I remember putting up a lot of threads with this title . . .
Calling Geoff, and other programmer types. I have a question.--'Cause every profession is represented on Hatrack, these people know everything.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you looking this up?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Do you mean which threads died on your registration date?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Around the time I was getting involved, "Ask the Rebbitzen" was topping the charts on the Hatrack Top Fifty Countdown.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually yes, died.

And I'm finding these by virtue of grunt work. Digging through old pages. Yes, this is what I do with my sick days.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I registered just to make fun of Ashlee Simpson lip syncing. Wow....
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I just registered. I didn't even bother to look at the forum. I just joined up. And then began posting. I think the Last Post Thread may have been on the main thing where it shows the threads that were last posted in. But I didn't know what it was.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it was these topics that attracted you to this place.
Well, not necessarily. I had been lurking for a few weeks, and there weren't any specific topics that got me to join. It was the friendly and intelligent level of discourse that showed me this forum was a better place to be than some of the others I've been a part of in the past.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd been lurking for a few days, but the first topic I posted in was "Pretend there's an icon for 'Shock' with the eyes bulging.."

Another new member, Leaf, had posted it. It was about Qatar offerring to provide $100 million in aid to the United States for Hurricane Katrina.

My post:
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
CNN reported that Hugo Chavez, "offered to send cheap fuel, humanitarian aid and relief workers to the disaster area."

Considering the recent Robertson controversy, I find that more impressive than Qatar's offer.

On the other hand, I'd never heard of Qatar until this thread, even though it apparently has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world.

It was pretty easy to find old posts. I just went to "My Profile" then to "View My Recent Posts."
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting the "Original Potry" thread is the only thing still around that was on the front page when I joined.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was pretty easy to find old posts. I just went to "My Profile" then to "View My Recent Posts."
And it stays easy... until you pass 300 posts. Then finding older posts becomes bothersome, when at all possible.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
There were maybe five gay marriage threads topping the chart that week, which spawned the greatest Dobie of all time: "Good Cod OSC."
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You mean the second greatest dobie.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
What was the greatest?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I think Strider's original "I don't believe in Kama" is clearly the greatest, because it became the beginning of a "rumor" that followed Kama for years, until Kamacom. No other dobie has ever had such a lasting effect on the Hatrack consciousness.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont remember any of the first threads....but I one of the worst memories you can imagine.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
So that's where that rumour started! That's pretty neat.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what thread reeled me in.

*dons armor, prays this doesn't start anything*

Bob's thread about posthumous baptism. Wow, that was a long time ago!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophelia:
I'm betting the "Original Potry" thread is the only thing still around that was on the front page when I joined.

Yeah, that was several months old when I started too. It's just been so long...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
The first thread I posted in was "Orson Scott Card, I Challenge THEE", mainly to rip on Thor. Oddly enough, I found that I grew to kinda like the guy. Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get it to show me stuff that old... it seems odd that I joined so long ago though.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Found my first topic-
Lost boys short story better.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the thread's title, but what finally motivated me to stop lurking and create an account was a discussion of animal consciousness. In particular it was a post by dmichael that irritated me enough that I felt the need to jump in and refute what he was saying. For some reason I didn't post in that thread, though. I think I felt a little trepidation about jumping in.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep looking at the thread title and thinking it's one of those girly threads about menstruation.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thread I read on Hatrack was Bob's "God, you say" thread.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.