FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Author Topic: X-Men 3: The Last Stand
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer

It doesn't look awful-- except for Beast.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...gosh. It looks so much darker than the previous two films. Not too many jokes in this one, I'm guessing.

I'm not sure what to make of it, to be honest. It could be awful, or it could be amazing.

*tries to remain hopeful*

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hari Seldon
Member # 9254

- posted      Profile for Hari Seldon   Email Hari Seldon         Edit/Delete Post 
OOOOH... my spine is tingling... I can't wait - still by far the best comic book movies to date - (Batman Begins is a very very very close second)
Posts: 69 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my... Mutants are for real! The war has already begun!! Flying Cow Leaves Two Police Cars in Flames!!!
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
My excitement about X3 went down dramatically after reading an interview with Brett Ratner. He seemed to really get off on explosions and sex (especially sexy mutants), and not be remotely interested in the sociological and political themes. I think X-Men and X2 were good in large part because Bryan Singer struck an appropriate balance between action and drama.

Oh well, at least I can still look forward to Superman Returns.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking forward to this movie, and I think Beast looks quite good myself. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh well, at least I can still look forward to Superman Returns. [/QB]
You mean Rubbercapeman?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hari Seldon:
OOOOH... my spine is tingling... I can't wait - still by far the best comic book movies to date - (Batman Begins is a very very very close second)

What?!! Are you joking? A close SECOND! [Eek!] I love the X-Men movies so far, but Batman Begins created a new reality when it comes making comic book movies. It is the first movie ABOUT a comic book hero (rather than a comic book hero movie) that I did not have to suspend disbelief on to enjoy it. X-Men has yet to accomplish this feat. Batman Begins was a real film. Christian Bale deserved an Oscar for his performance. Personally, while I have enjoyed both X-Men movies, all of the actors came off a bit wooden. I did not think that at the time, but again, Batman Begins changed my reality and how I view comic book movies. Okay, my ranting is done! [Wink]
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Flying Cow Leaves Two Police Cars in Flames!!!
My lawyer advises me not to comment.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like there are going to be too many characters in X3. Granted, anyone who's read the comic books and thought about them excessively won't have a problem, but I can all too easily see people getting annoyed with how many frigging storylines there will be going on.

I hope an appropriate balance will be struck. I'll definitely see X3 - because, let's face it, no matter what sex-appeal veneer they put on it, it's still X-Men - but I don't know how good it will be.

I do like this new trailer. I fear that it might have "Count of Monte Cristo" Syndrome - where the trailer makes the movie look like one of the best movies EVER (let alone adaptations), but the movie is gods-awful. Here's hoping not.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
STILL NO GAMBIT!!!! *ANGER*
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading nothing but bad things about this film from the "geeks" on the net ever since it was announced that Singer wasn't directing. However, the trailer looks pretty darn promising! Then again, a movie has to be REALLY bad if you can't find 2 minutes worth or footage to make it look good. In any case, I reserve judgement until I actually see the film, but I think I'll probably like it, even if it isn't the best of the 3.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:

I do like this new trailer. I fear that it might have "Count of Monte Cristo" Syndrome - where the trailer makes the movie look like one of the best movies EVER (let alone adaptations), but the movie is gods-awful. Here's hoping not.

For the record, I liked Count of Monte Cristo.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Ditto on the Count of Monte Cristo. I even have it on tape.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm going to continue the derailment and ask you two about "Count," so bear with me:

Did you like it as a movie or as an adaptation? And what did you think of "Troy"?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Never read the book of either. I thought the movie about the Count was just a good movie. It had some good plot twists and I thoughts the actors did a good job. The characters were very well fleshed out. The bad never really changed and development, but actually that probably is closer to real life anyways. Those who are morally corrupt generally continue their downward slide to even greater depths.

As for Troy, again never read the story, so I don't really have a comparison. But as for the movie I thought that it was just over the top and a little too much for my taste.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ditto on the Count of Monte Cristo. I even have it on tape.
Ditto on The Count of Monte Cristo. Shock and amazement that things are still coming out on tape.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I recorded off of Pay per view when I had Dish Network.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the movie as well, although they left out huge amounts of material. Then again, it probably worked BETTER because of that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Count, I liked it as a story independent of the novel. When I look at it in relation to the novel it is a great disappointment. Worse than most movie adaptations. Huge chunks of the story were missing. But then again, I read the book in a Russian translation 8 years ago or so.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
The Count of Monte Cristo is one incredibly amazing book and any movie adaptation of it in less then a trilogy would be a dissapointment to me.

That said, the movie wasn't that bad, since I didn't expect it to be good. Seriously, the book was almost 1500 pages long in the translation I read. No way you're gonna do it justice in a movie.

I saw the X-Men trailer in the theater for the first time last night, and I think it looks good. Mayhap a bit too convoluted, but I personally won't mind that.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Sentinels.

I want the war to start, mutants going at it, the government powerless to stop it. I want chaos and mayhem, and I want political player to put a Solution on the president's desk for him to sign.

And then I want Sentinels breaking up the party. Big, thirty foot tall monster robots arriving like the cavalry to Defend the Greater Good.

I want angry mobs of humans cheering the Sentinels on, and anti-mutant sentiment at an all time high.

And then I want Magneto and his broken crew to slink into hiding, and Xavier and his crew to slink into hiding, with Sentinels standing sleepless guard through suburban communities.

I'm just hoping, hoping, hoping that there are no Sentinels in the trailer just so it can be a huge shock/big finish.

::crosses fingers::

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.