FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Abridged Books- I Loathe you.

Author Topic: Abridged Books- I Loathe you.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I was tricked tonight into purchasing an abridged audio book on audible.

Here's the thing: The abridged books are un-labeled as abridged. You have to go and look at the finer print to see that its an abridged version. The un-abridged stuff is clearly labeled unabridged, but as a stict anti-abridgment reader, I sometimes forget to be warry of books without the abridged and un-abridged icons.

DAMN YOU AUDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! [Wall Bash]

Why would anyone listen to an Abridged book. Better question: why would any self-respecting intelligent person spring for the book which has clearly had 12 hours of content boiled down into 2 hours. That's like 15% of the original book. Do you tell your friends, "well I read 15 percent of that book, all the good parts, all the worthy parts...?"

Abridged fiction is a representative of all that is souless and wrong with people, and especially publishers (my family is in the biz, so it hits close to home [Frown] ). Its fine art in black and white, its colorized classics, its the cliff-notes on Shakespeare, its fan-fic erotica gone horribly MAAAD.

As you can tell I am so angry at the world right now, I'd like to call the author of this book up on the phone and ask him whatever part of his dignity allowed some hack to chop his book down a shadow of its former self, and sell it as the genuine article.

*Stalks away angrilly, barking at the trees as the wind wips his hat into a pond* [Grumble]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago, I was looking at classic books in a used book store. I found a copy of Moby Dick that looked suspiciously thin. I opened it up. I don't remember what the first sentence was, but it was NOT "Call me Ishmael."

Now, I can understand not wanting to read all of Moby Dick, but if you are going to abridge a novel with a famous opening line, don't you think that famous opening line is one of the things you really should not cut?

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when that happens. I listened to one all the way through once before I realized it was abridged. I was really mad as it was by one of my favorite authors and I was really looking forward to reading it. Knowing the end took a lot of the enjoyment out of going back and reading the unabridged version. I don't get it either. I've never met anyone who wants to listen to a fiction book in a drastically shortened format. I guess I can understand some if the person was reading for something other than pleasure, so maybe if it was a book designed to be educational there might be a market. But otherwise, ICK!
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

If I were published, I would NEVER under any circumstances allow my book to be sold as an abridgement. As a writer or as anything, you want your material to be presented in the strongest way possible; so if an abridgment were superior to the original, you wouldn't have written all that other stuff... GOD I don't understand people. Who buys these things???

I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I were published, I would NEVER under any circumstances allow my book to be sold as an abridgement.
Not even if you were offered obscene amounts of money?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just books... In Vegas they are now doing abridged versions of broadway musicals. But I agree 100%, abridged books are rediculous.

And if you are offered obscene amounts of money for an abridged version, you would probably be able to get at least a simmilar deal for a complete version.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
If I were published, I would NEVER under any circumstances allow my book to be sold as an abridgement.
If they'll give you 1 million for half the book, they should give you 2 million for the whole thing. I'd even just take 1 million for the whole thing.
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was tricked tonight into purchasing an abridged audio book...
Like "War without Peace" or "A Tale of A City".

Gah! I realize that if they advertised it as "a bad summation of a book" it wouldn't sell as well... but it would be truth in advertising.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If they'll give you 1 million for half the book....
They won't.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
If they'll give you 1 million for half the book, they should give you 2 million for the whole thing. I'd even just take 1 million for the whole thing.
But would you take 1 million for half of it?

I know I would.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A few months ago, I was looking at classic books in a used book store. I found a copy of Moby Dick that looked suspiciously thin. I opened it up. I don't remember what the first sentence was, but it was NOT "Call me Ishmael."
Well, that is actually the first line of Chapter 1.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. But not in this particular abridged version. They had changed the famous first line to something else.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sorry. I misundestood.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

They changed it to "i'm Izzy" since it is shorter and hipper.
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I also accidentally bought an abridged copy of Moby Dick when assigned to read it in high school. It was thick enough to be credible, but just to be sure, I looked through all the publishing information and at both covers, and nowhere in the book was there any hint that it was abridged. I found out the truth when I missed a question on a quiz because that information was cut out of my book. I was already more than 3/4 of the way through, so I was ticked. *glare* Heck if I was going to read that again.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with not abridging books in general, and certainly not abridging most modern novels, but there are a few exceptions. For instance as a kid I liked reading the abridged version (illustrated classics version) of the classics like Ivanhoe or the Prince and the Pauper. Those books were abridged with children specifically in mind, and were pretty good. Another exception is certain russian authors. Crime and Punishment was a novel with some very interesting ideas in it. But after the second epilogue, and indeed some chapters in between, I found myself selectively abridging it. I think either a better translation or an outright abridgement might improve the story.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

something about dostoyevsky's style doesn't translate for Americans IMO. You don't have a yard of snow outside and a glass of vodka at your side. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.