FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why is bacon so good?

Author Topic: Why is bacon so good?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
According to "The Carribean" by James Michener (which I am in the middle of and slightly disappointed with) in the 17th century French Pirates in Tortuga enjoyed only one thing more than ravaging Spanish ships. They enjoyed hunting wild boar on the isle of Hispanola. Then then cooked these boar over an open flame, making sure to coat the meat with salt and special caribean herbs. The fire and herbs gave it flavor, the salt made sure it lasted unspoiled during the long voyages.

Of course, they did not call themselves pirates. They called themselves Buccaneers. From Buccaneer, it was shortened to---Bacon.

Why is bacon so good? Because it was invented by Pirates.

Now tell me, Ninja fans, what yummy foods have your guys ever came up with?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care if the story is true or not, Pirates and Bacon both rule.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
According to The Online Etymology Dictionary, it's not true:
quote:
c.1330, "meat from the back and sides of a pig" (originally either fresh or cured), from O.Fr. bacon, from P.Gmc. *bakkon "back meat" (cf. O.H.G. bahho, O.Du. baken "bacon").

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't ninjas good at sabotaging?
quote:
According to The Online Etymology Dictionary, it's not true:
Methinks some sneaky lethal ninjas got to the online etymology dictionary.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, bacon is good because it tastes amazing.

You can put bacon on just about anything and make it better.

Mmmm, bacon.

(Pirates vs. Ninjas? Hmm. I'll have to think about that.)

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with ninja food is that it is as deadly as it is delicious. We're talking guys who intentionally cut the blowfish the "wrong" way and serve their soufflés on a bed of razor sharp swords. And, unless you enjoy having your flesh peeled from your bones, you don't want to get within 10 feet of the lunchmeat they invented: ninjastrami.

The fame that ninja food so richly deserves is greatly hampered by the near universal sudden death that accompanies the meal.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that explanation of the word buccaneer isn't that far off:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=buccaneer&searchmode=none

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon is so good because the Bible forbids you to eat it. ;-)
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon! Bacon! Bacon!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja Food Rawks!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante Shvester,
You always make me smile!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
Bacon is so good because the Bible forbids you to eat it. ;-)

It does what?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. G'd said that the Jews can't eat it because it comes from a non-kosher animal. It is perfectly ok for non-Jews, though. Jews have more rules that apply to them than the rest of the world. We must make do with either "Beef Fry" or Soy Bacon.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, what about turkey bacon?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
PETA 'Vegetarian' Celeb: 'Everything's Better With Bacon'

This isn't the first time PETA has deceptively promoted a carnivorous celebrity as an anti-meat activist, but it just might be the funniest. Last year we told you about Sarah Jane, an Australian model featured in PETA's anti-chicken advertisements, whose fan website listed her favorite foods as raw meat, lamb kidney, lamb curry and haggis. This time around it's Reese Witherspoon -- a PETA-promoted "sexiest vegetarian" who can't seem to get through the day without eating bacon.

Witherspoon appeared last week on Ellen Degeneres' popular TV talk show, and toted along a crock-pot to demonstrate her favorite recipe (coq au vin -- yes, with chicken). When the host asked about the ingredients, she replied: "Everything you cook in the crock-pot, cook it with bacon ... Everything's better with bacon and brown sugar."

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2995

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So I stand correct. Bacon wasn't named after pirates, but pirates were named after Bacon.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That's almost cooler.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
kranky: That makes me like Reese Witherspoon. I never much cared for her before.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be silly, KrankyKat, bacon is a vegetable.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Enigmatic...PETA style:

"Bacon is a Vegetable" Ringer Shirt

Now with less cruelty! 70s retro vogue meets 90s retro veganism. Eggplant melange shirt with purple print.

(EDIT for appetite alert. I'm goin' out for a loaded double bacon cheese burger with lots of veggies plus mayo and, of course, Grey Poupon.)

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the real thing.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought 'buccaneer' was etymologically linked to "barbecue". So says Alton Brown, anyway.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlelf
Member # 6145

- posted      Profile for littlelf   Email littlelf         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but seriously, folks, Bacon is sooo good because of a few degrees of separation, and who hasn't had to cut Footloose from time to time? Oh yeah, and because he's Mrs. Jack MacFarland does hurt, either.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I do prefer BBQs and Bacon of the delicious Pirates, but Ninja Burgers are pretty tasty too. And they deliver.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't Squid Martigan be contributing to this thread?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
Aren't ninjas good at sabotaging?

Actually sabotaging was origionally French anti-industrial terrorists... they threw their wooden shoes (sabots) into the machines to try to stop the industrial revolution. [Razz]
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My cat looooooves the pork products. Every time I fry up bacon, he stares at me wide-eyed, thinking (I'm sure) "Dang! You took down a wild pig, Mama Cat!"
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now tell me, Ninja fans, what yummy foods have your guys ever came up with?
Samuraikabobs.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.