FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Understanding Physics and Relativity- help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Understanding Physics and Relativity- help
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually found something that I'm interested in. Physics, of all things. Go figure. The problem I have though, is that the more I read, the more questions I end up having. And as soon as I answer that question (hours of staring at the same paragraph, mind you), 4 more questions pop up off of that.

And believe me, the books I have and wikipedia aren't too Nathan-friendly.

So lets start at what I am currently thinking about. In reference to general relativity, why is space time curved, and what exactly does that mean?

I understand that "inertial observers can accelerate with respect to each other" and that to be considered inertial, you must be freefalling. What I don't understand is why this goes against Newtons first law of motion (an object in motion wants to stay in motion, an object at rest wants to stay at rest unless outside force acts upon it).

So anyway, back to the first question. What does it mean by saying spacetime is curved?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that it means -- if the universe has enough mass to eventually collapse back on itself, then space is curved in such a way that if you travel in a straight line in one direction, you will eventually come back to the point you started at.

Of course, even if you travel at the speed of light, it will take you longer to do so than it will take t he universe to collaspe, but still...

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
The short version is that, even though light is massless, it's affected by gravity. Others may embellish to their heart's content.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Now, when you say that, do you mean that I'd be pulled back to the starting location, or that I'll come out the other end, like Pacman going through the side of the maze and coming out the otherside?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Space time curves because a mass deforms it. This is an explantion for gravity; like a ball on a rubber mat with an indentation, things move towards other things.

The inertial frame of reference doesn't go against Newton's first law of motion, except by making it meaningless. Something in (non-accelerating) motion relative to you can be thought of as still, and something still relative to you can be thought of as in motion, all depending on your frame of reference.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Like pacman, or like walking around the earth.

In fact, it's a lot like the earth. The surface if the earth is a 2D space curved in 3D space. Likewise, the 3D space of the universe is also curved.

IIRC, A Brief History of Time explains this.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"The short version is that, even though light is massless, it's affected by gravity. Others may embellish to their heart's content."

Ok, that I understand, from the whole solar eclipse-stars thing. I guess then, that I'm not understanding space-time. I see it as a 3-d realm, with a parameter of time.

Which means that if space time is curved, then instead of a strait line of events, it means that gravity effects the speed of time, correct?

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
More like Pac-Man, except there is no going "off screen".

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Spacetime is 4-D (or perhaps a 4-D manifestation of an N-Dimensional) space. You can't untangle time from it, and treat it differently (I don't think).

-Bok

EDIT: There is no "speed of time" (or "speed of space") only matter/energy can have speed(/momentum/energy)

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

All in all, I don't understand this image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spacetime_curvature.png

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
All in all, I don't understand this image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spacetime_curvature.png

That's mostly an analogy. Just as if a 2D surface were curved like that, things would tend to "fall" toward the earth, the fact that 3D space is curved makes things tend to fall toward the earth.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The curvature is gravity. The more mass an object has, the bigger the indentation it causes in spacetime and the more gravity it has.

The way I've heard it explained is that if you rolled a marble across that surface, it would roll towards earth if it got into its gravitational pull (represented there by the dent in the image).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The inertial frame of reference doesn't go against Newton's first law of motion, except by making it meaningless. Something in (non-accelerating) motion relative to you can be thought of as still, and something still relative to you can be thought of as in motion, all depending on your frame of reference.

To elaborate: Where it starts going wacky on Newton is that Newtonian Physics only works correctly for non-inertial frames of motion. For inertial frames, Newton's still pretty accurate for relative velocities much smaller than the speed of light, but technically incorrect. As relative velocity increases, so do measurable effects.

As far as the gravitational effect on time, yes, the curvature of space-time accounts for it (or perhaps I should say, "predicts it"), and yes, you are viewing it incorrectly. Space-time is 4 dimensional, with time being the 4th dimension.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Light is only massless at rest (which it never is). The mass it acquires due to motion means it is affected by gravity.

Oh, and mass and energy are equivalent.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Well, the ultimate issue you have is that it's a [EDIT: 2d rendering of a 3d object in a 4d space]. And since we experience time differently from the other perceivable dimensions, it makes us think it is more different than it actually is.

-Bok

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Re: "speed of time" I suppose you could say it's normally 1s/s and that this rate is affected by gravitational differences between two observers.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ok, so the answer to the question:

1) Spacetime is curved due to mass/energy.
2) This is what causes gravity.

Is that an adequate answer?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Light is only massless at rest (which it never is). The mass it acquires due to motion means it is affected by gravity.
Actually, light is always massless. But even though it is massless, it manages to have momentum, which is usually defined as mass times velocity.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:

Oh, and mass and energy are equivalent.

Back in my day we used to talk about the "apparent mass" of light to delineate that, though it behaved as if it had mass, it didn't actually have it. Are they getting away from that now and saying that photons have actual mass, just no rest mass (and correspondingly no rest energy?) It wouldn't surprise me, it's just kind of intersting how much and how fast the prevailing view can change... I mean it's only been a decade or so since I studied this stuff.

Edit (to T-Smith): I'd be very leery of using the word "cause" anywhere in this discussion. [Smile] I'd say the curvature of space time is a theory which explains gravity's effects, among other things. but you are entering a weird enough world that "cause" is a very dangerous thing to say and usually far too nebulous to establish.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Ok, so the answer to the question:

1) Spacetime is curved due to mass/energy.
2) This is what causes gravity.

Is that an adequate answer?

Adequate for what? It's correct, AFAIK.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Well, the whole "spacetime is curved" I think is [EDIT: only] part of it, particularly once you involve quantum mechanics (Gravitons (sp?) and all that). I would say, for 2), that "this is what predicts the behavior of gravity best".

-Bok

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Adequate for a layperson without being in-depth enough to cause random brain a splosion, I'd guess.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Well, every observer observes time proceeding at the same speed for them (that is, in his or her frame of reference); this is a consequence of light going the same speed for all observers. From that person's frame of reference other frames of reference may be behaving as if time is different there (they really are behaving differently, perhaps even contradictorily to their own experiences, so in a sense time is different there, but you can never get to a place where time is going a different speed than it normally does for yourself).
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I suppose the big thing here to help me conceptualize all of this is really understanding spacetime.

I keep trying to quantify it in a coodinate based system in my head, but that, I believe, is ruining it for me.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Then, fugu, we get into the very neat but ultimately unanswerable question of whether that is strictly a function of the human perception, like being limited to 20hz-20khz hearing or viewing the visible spectrum. [Smile]

I love talking about this stuff... it's been far too long [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

Mass-energy equivalence is pretty much universally accepted; since photons have energy, they have mass. Furthermore, they're obviously affected by gravity, so why try to invent a fake mass that's affected by gravity just like real mass, but it isn't?

In some ways its strange anyone would talk about it as fake mass, when its a pretty clear consequence of (among other things) the equations for deriving E=MC^2.

Bokonon
Member # 480

It can be seen as a coordinate system, but one with 4-axes instead of 3. Which is a bit hard to grok.

-Bok

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
I keep trying to quantify it in a coodinate based system in my head, but that, I believe, is ruining it for me.

If you can picture a coordinate system with 4 axes, you've got it.

I can't, though.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suppose the big thing here to help me conceptualize all of this is really understanding spacetime.

Which, unfortunately, is nearly impossible. We live in 3 dimensions, so the closest thing you could do (which is what the diagrams try to do) is reduce reality as we know it to 2 dimensions and imagining space time as a third.

At least, I think I know what I'm saying.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

My favorite quote about relativity, the one I always think of when this discussion comes up, is the one from the British astronomer/astrophysicist Sir Arthur Eddington.

When asked by a journalist if it was true that he was one of three people alive that understood Einstein's relativity theories, he replied, "I am trying to think who the third person is."

Bokonon
Member # 480

Jim, jinx!

-Bok

fugu13
Member # 2859

Its definitely not strictly a function of the human perception, the equations don't include any requirement of observation at all, and our observations correlate with the equations. Well, at least not any more than anything else; theoretically there could be some requirement that something be observed by a human before its really there, but that would require a lot of silliness, so why bother with it [Wink] ?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

For more headache inducing 4D goodness, check out the 4D cube, or hypercube.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity."

-Albert Einstein

My favorite relativity quote. [Smile]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, its really amazing how far understanding of relativity has advanced. Now anybody who's taken a decent bit of college level physics can grok it pretty well, and lots of people have a lay understanding.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Yeah, how my brain is processing it is (x,y,z,t) where t is time.

So say Earth(x,y,z,t), where any of those are variables that can be changed. Say earth didn't move, but time kept going forward, that way we see x,y,z as the same, but t as a different value. So same place, different time. Now if we changed x,y,z and t we have different place, different time.

Thats pretty much the only what I'm going to be able to explain how I'm quantifying spacetime.

Bokonon
Member # 480

That's more or less correct, but understand that the image you linked to really only (x,y) while faking (due to artistic tricks) (z).

-Bok

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I owe you a coke, Bok.

But Fugu, the equations don't explain our perception of time as passing at 1s/s or *why* that should be in the least. That's what I mean by "is this just a matter of human perception and it's limitations?"

Certainly a big effect of relativity is to show that time is not the absolute we thought it was. So why should there not be different ways to perceive time, not limited to 1s/s? Once you accept that time is a dimension, it is easier to suppose that things can move along that axis at different rates, though it's still just as hard to reconcile the paradoxes inherent in that.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Yeah, its really amazing how far understanding of relativity has advanced. Now anybody who's taken a decent bit of college level physics can grok it pretty well, and lots of people have a lay understanding.

Thank you "Nova" and "Cosmos".
T_Smith
Member # 3734

But then back to previous discussion, then, does that mean gravity effects parameter t?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I was waiting for others, but the answer is "yes".

Probably.

Bokonon
Member # 480

Jim, there are ways to observe different times... The stationary vs. orbiting atomic clocks, for instance. They measure time differently, empirically. So ultimately, each person perceives time slightly differently, but since we are moving relativistically slow, related to each other, it just seems like we observe it the same.

Also, remember that a "second" is ultimately an arbitrary measurement of time that is convenient.

T, I realized that I'm off a bit in my last response. the trick is to realize that based on what sort of energy/matter is nearby, the very axes at and around certain coordinates are warped.

-Bok

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ok, so say we have Earth(x,y,z,t) traveling in a straight line. That means that x is increasing, and t is increasing.

Suddenly, Earth encounters a strong gravitational field. This means x is still increasing, but now y is being effected. Is t still increasing at the same rate?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

I need to go do dishes. Don't get too complicated without me. [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

T, an over-simplification, but if I understand you (and the subject) correctly, not only is t's rate of change affected (assuming an outside observer) but also x's, not due to gravitational acceleration but to Lorenz contraction... the whole axis would get shorter. Fugu, do I have this right?

Bok, I don't mean that we can't measure different rates of time passage, I mean that we can't experience them like we can, say, the color red or the note 'a below middle c'. Does that make more sense?

fugu13
Member # 2859

Bok: the amount of time that has passed is different, this doesn't mean the 'rate of experience' of it is any different.

Well, you're partly answering your own question. 1s/s is pure number, there is no unit. Travel through time is not like travel through other dimensions. And actually, that time progresses the same for any frame of reference we are in is an assumption -- Einstein's assumption that inertial frames of reference are indistinguishable.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoah, Porter. I actually GET hypercubes now. Sort of. Thanks for the link!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yes, to earth, but to someone somewhere else in the coordinate system, their t may suddenly be different from earth's t (assuming their time was identical, which is impossible, since, in the words of They Might Be Giants, "simultaneous events don't happen, we are all isolated temporally").

-Bok

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ah, you bring up that Lorenz dude, another guy with concepts I can't understand.

Yes, I know x's would be changed as well, since if it were on a steady pace, then it would take longer, due to y's change, to get to the next x coordinate. If that made sense.

What I don't understand is why t's rate would be affected.

Bokonon
Member # 480

Jim, I guess so, but it sort ends up nonsensical. Sort of like "what time was it before spacetime existed?" I guess I'm on the side that says we experience it as we are built to experience it.

-Bok

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.