FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just lost my D&D virginity! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just lost my D&D virginity!
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
To a half-elf sorceror named Olaf. He was serving time in a dungeon and cast a Charm spell on me, and next I knew, I was fleeing from a goblin raid against slave carts on their way to Slyaerna. This game rocks!

Does anyone else play D&D? Is there an online Hatrack thang, like I know some play with Mafia? Or... what? I'd love to get something going.

By the way, I think this was it. I'm no longer a boy... I'm a geek.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of like the cool kid joining the geeks in Freaks and Geeks. [Smile]

Now that you play D&D, this webcomic will be so much funnier for you:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
D&D is so 1980. [Roll Eyes]

Everyone plays GURPS and Warhammer now [Cool]

Just remember: Tabletop is cool. LARP is over the line.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
GURPS! That takes me back.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Oh, and you absolutely HAVE to watch Summoner Geeks : http://www.rpgamer.com/games/summoner/summoner/summonermov.html

Holy monkey, I haven't seen that in such a long time. It rules!

Edit:
Ah, also a useful spell resource: http://www.duke.edu/web/DRAGO/humor/useless_spells.html

Two of my favorites are Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Daughter and Tenser's Double-Sided, Double Density Disk.

[ July 26, 2006, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: MightyCow ]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Lalo. That sounds about like my first D&D game. We were fleeing the ether beasts in Tenh when our evil cleric guide turned out to be a fraud. His slave was really the cleric and got me with a hold person before the fight even started. Thus began my boyfriend's long tradition of pulling my character out of danger.

You should check out the RPGA. It lets you play D&D all over the country with different people. Becuase it's standardized, it does make character creation a teeny bit restirctive. But you know how much xp and gold you'll get every time you play, so it does let you plan out your purchases.

Most of my friends play RPGA stuff so we can play on a flexible schedule. But we play it with our home games. Your home GM can tailor the game to you in ways that the RPGA just can't. But a home game needs the same judge and players each time. RPGA is any judge and 4 to 6 players with a character.

Enjoy!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo:

No discussion about RPGs on Hatrack is complete without mention of Slash the Berzerker's Overlook Campaign and his d20 Future Campaign (2350).

Best online fantasy and sci-fi series out there.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. Overlook is among my fondest memories. [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Rifts. Mecha for the win.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I DMed a D&D Hatrack campaign some time ago. The players were Kwea, King of Men, Alcon, Human and Apostle Radio. We had lots of fun. Unfortunatelly the time zone difficulties ended-up killing our game.

Must...shake...this...desire to start a new online campaign...

But how cool you started playing, Lalo. Hope you continue enjoying yourself! D&D is great!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you've joined the dark side.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I failed my saving throw against suspension of disbelief that as big a nerd as Lalo had never played D&D before;)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I've been in three Play by Email D&D campaigns. One is still ongoing. One completed it's story-line and ended. The other I should just say is dead, but I can't. I still hold out the thinnest thread of hope that it will start up again, someday. Maybe when the DM retires and can devote more time to it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl-- I've lost enough faith in that particular DM (to restart his game), I finally deleted the folder I'd set up in in yahoo to receive his game emails.

It was a sad day.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
(In case anyone was wondering, I'm that particular DM.)

The problem I had: to play by email took too much time to assemble the turns. I've been resistant to using a webforum, but after having seen a few webforum games go more smoothly I'm now wondering if this wouldn't be a more practical approach in the long run.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's not a surprise that there's a decent number of Hatrack D&D players [Smile]

Anyone else tried to GM a game based on an OSC setting? I ran a campaign based on the Alvin Maker-verse once...interestingly enough, the PCs absolutely hated Peggy. Gullah Joe as a 9th level druid was a fun touch.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm up for trying again, in any format, if we can get more of the old gang together. I think we'd need at least a re-cap and a fresh starting point, though.

[Edit: that was to Tom, in case that wasn't obvious to someone.]

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know my Segreda game petered out after only a few months, but I've been working on turning it into a .pdf campaign setting for release on RPGNow.com - hopefully by the end of the year.

When I get around to it, I might be interested in running the demo or a module with some playtesters online, or asking some folks to playtest it for me in RL gaming groups.

We'll see.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I still occasionally think wistfully about the Segreda campaign, FlyingCow (though I always think that it's Segrada). I really had fun playing Buchek for the brief time that game was going.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
If we get to that point in game production, I may actually ask you to freelance write a bit for a Buchek module or modules. Right now I've finished the demo, been working on the lost caravan module, and have just outlined a Settlers of Greda sourcebook. After that will come a bestiary.

But the idea of Buchek's backstory would make a decent module in its own right, with him being an NPC.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That would be a lot of fun. I'll definitely be up for that if/when the time comes.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
;_; I miss our game.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Khadanira? Yeah, that was a fun one. You should get in on one of Raja's Chaosium Cthulhu games, Ryuko.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
My first game was Tomb of Horrors I think, or the Hidden City, not sure but I died twice, once in an Indiana Jones rolling ball trap and once at the hands of a Were-Rat with my second character. My third character proved to be durable enough to last until retirement though. It is sad to me that I have never been able to play that much. I took over DMing soon after but I still love the excitiment of not knowing what is around the corner...

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Webforum...that's an Idea...I could run a game using a webforum...hmmm...
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Hatrack inside my brain??!! I'm going to my first meeting in a LONG time tonight...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
How many experience points do you get for that?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
the sad thing is that some RL friends of mine and I are starting up a campaign that we will be playing through WoW (since we're scattered across the country now) We'll see how it starts in a week and a half =p
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Do you mean you're playing an RPG via the MMORPG WoW, or that you're playing the RPG WoW?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, I was just wondering how that TomD run campaign ended up, I guess I know now (it didn't). I would be interested in trying another, but only if there were set times that people came on and played. I found that by the time I got to check my e-mail, all the action had taken place and I was only able to make a few comments after the fact.
Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Ravenloft --> the only way to go.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I played a couple of years of my life away...good times.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I played cyberpunk and then realized I liked the flavor of the D&D world alittle better. Havent played much, but I think another hatrack campaign could be interesting.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Do people know anything about the Firefly...I mean (stupid FOX) Serenity RPG?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I flipped through the book, and considered buying it for all the fanfic material I could use, but that's about it.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I took a look at the Serenity source book, but it didn't look much like a complete game to me, just info about the movie/series mashed into a role playing format.

If I were going to do it, I'd just adopt a d20 or GURPS space/western game into the Serenity universe.

Man, I miss DMing. I just finished up a year+ campaign. It was a lot of work, and I enjoy playing a PC again, but it's so much fun to be in charge of the whole story. [Smile]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I pine for Segreda as well, on occasion. I enjoyed writing Elotai almost as much as I enjoyed writing Sa'id in Overlook.

Since switching to Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu, though, I haven't really looked back at d20. Especially now that I know about the Dark Ages supplement. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Serenity RPG actually has some very clever rules in it. But to be honest, I think the Firefly universe is actually a very poor roleplaying universe; there simply isn't enough room in it for many more stories that don't shadow the ones that are already there. It's why Middle-Earth makes such a poor RPG setting, too.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - Most movie/book universes are too tiny on their own to make for a good RPG. Star Wars only works because there's so much extra canon out there.

What I'd like to try for a Serenity-themed game:

1: Keep the basic government/social structure
2: Use the Spycraft v2.0 rules. They're great for modern and near-future campaigns.
3: Make up your own planets, side organizations, etc. There's plenty of room for any type of outlaw-ish party your players want to run.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The boys in high school never let me play. Apparently girls weren't cool enough to partake in their campaigns.

So yes, I am still a D&D virgin. [Blushing]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

The irony of that is incredible, Carrie. The stereotype is that it's not by choice that hardcore nerds don't spend time with the ladies!

And speaking of losing one's virginity in D&D...

Well, I did play a tabletop WoW game once. I had a Gnome mage, our party was in...Ratchet, I believe it was. We were all in a bar, and my little Gnome playa (Obnoticus) spotted a black-leather clad got-looking girl Gnome.

Now, me? I know that's nature's plumage for Warlock. But poor Obnoticus, he just saw the only female Gnome in the bar, looking hawt to boot. So he decided to buy her a couple of drinks and hit her up for dinner, and he was served...umm, it's been a long time, Deviate Fish? I believe. I recognized the description and all of its bizarre effects, but poor Obnoticus did not.

So he ate the fish, and soon wound up spending the night with the Warlock who *ahem* it turned out didn't limit her bondage to demonic slaves. Ouch.

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I too would love to take part, despite not knowing how to play. A friend of mine tried to start up a few, what are they called? campaigns? a while back, on AIM, but they fizzled out. He got me really interested and then left me hanging.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Lalo

Just know that it takes a whole lot of time on the part of the DM to run an on line game, either through e-mail or in a forum.

I am sort of surprised at how much work there is. Karl is in my e-mail game and it has been going for just over 1-1/2 years. They have spent almost the whole past year in one dungeon. It is about done and I figure they will be out by mid Augest.

Contact me if you want more info.

http://www.sakeriver.com/archives/kalevan

Shameless self promotion.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shameless elf promotion.

^^ How I initially read that bit, this being a D&D thread and all.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the wonderous D&D memories.

Although I was more the GM than the player. In the second campaign I created I put in an NPC name Mendax. His demonic goal was to have characters surrender their "souls" to him. He was a collector.

This villian survived and showed up in every major campaign I did from that time forward.

And he showed up in the campaigns of my players when they DM'd. And in the campaigns of some of their players.

When one friend joined the Army and was stationed in Germany, Mendax showed up in games all across the military gaming world.

When a nice merchant named Zadnem started offering things too good to be true, not one of my players took the time to figure out that Zadnem was Mendax spelled backwards.

Mendax is from the latin for lie or liar.

He creates dangerous and life threatening situations, then offers to free your characters unharmed, for their souls. He doesn't like to kill them, for then he won't get their soul. But he is willing to kill a couple to convince the others that they should sign on the dotted line.

Ahh, good times.

And no. This game is not demonic. No sir.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
What! I thought we'd persuaded you it was better to wait until after marriage!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry Rakeesh, been busy:

We are just using WoW (The MMO) as a conduit (in conjunction with a Ventrilo server) to play D&D

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Np, TheGrimace. It wasn't a really important question or anything, hehe.

But...wow. That's kind of like holding a mirror up in front of another mirror, isn't it? [Wink]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What! I thought we'd persuaded you it was better to wait until after marriage!
Yeah, dude, wait until it's too late for her to bail on you before you start playing RPGs!

I kinda miss Khadanira, too, although the storytelling part was hard for me. I hope with more experience I'll get better.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

My login name is taken from an NPC in one of my campaigns.

Top that, dorks.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.