FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Enders Game movie Casting??

Author Topic: Enders Game movie Casting??
Michael Shane Den Beste
Member # 9768

- posted      Profile for Michael Shane Den Beste   Email Michael Shane Den Beste         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else, but it would be very cool if when they begin casting for the movie, they post a topic on it on hatrack river... People with acting experiance would probably love to be informed.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you hear, Patrick Swayze is playing Ender.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was Dakota Fanning. (there's some changes from the book...)
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, Michael! Welcome to hatrack.

Casting for the Ender's Game movie is kind of a running joke around here. At the moment, nothing's really happening about it, we've all talked it to death, and new members posting about it as their first thread is a pretty frequent occurance. So, you probably shouldn't expect too many serious replies, and I'm sorry about that.

So, how'd you find Hatrack? Have you read other OSC books besides Ender's Game? What else do you like to do? Always nice to find out a little about our new members. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Especially so breyer can stalk them.

BEWARE!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not that bad people, it just goes in, shush. I'll find terrible things about you too.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget my love scene with Vin Diesel. It's an integral part of the movie. [Razz]

Hiya, Michael! [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think James Earl Jones should be Bean.

And Seth Green should be Ender.

And we have to cram Will Smith in there somewhere, just because we can.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
Who ever it is they must stand in the tunnels of Eros at the end and yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

George Lucas has shown how well that works.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why Will Smith can't play Ender. And he can use his charm and wit to fight the Buggers in hand to hand combat until the climactic final scene in which he destroys the battle room, with the evil hive queen in it, while remaining true to the spirit of the book.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Speaking of Will Smith. Did you all hear how they are changing the I Am Legend story?

Apparently he is to be a doctor in Manhattan that is being used as a quarantine area for people with the virus.

Boo!

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
No no no, you've got it all wrong. Seth Green is totally Petra.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Seth Green is short enough to play Bean.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

Green Bean!

LOL

ElJay
Member # 6358

You guys, if people reacted to your very first post ever on Hatrack this way, would you want to be a part of the community?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell yes! [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've been here seven years... [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want Dwayne Johnson to play Bean.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think the response has been pretty mild. I haven't seen any meanness here, just some good humor. And not one mention of Jake Lloyd or Haley Joel Osment.

Oops . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Shane Den Beste:
I don't know about anyone else, but it would be very cool if when they begin casting for the movie, they post a topic on it on hatrack river... People with acting experiance would probably love to be informed.

Dibs on Chamrajnagar.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I still want Dwayne Johnson to play Bean.

Okay, I had no idea who Dwayne Johnson is...so I Googled him.

CAN YOU SMELLLLLL WHAT BEAN IS COOKIN'?

Nice pick. I'd get behind that. But only if Jeremy Irons plays Bonzo.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't think it's meanness, and I certainly think some of the responses have been funny. But if you were brand new? And excited about this great book you read, and found a place where you thought other people would be excited about it too, and your first post is greeted with a bunch of weird replies that make absolutely no sense? Without the context of knowing how often this comes up, I don't think I would see these responses as good humor.

Not to mention that the OP wasn't even about who should be cast for what role, just about the possibility of casting being announced so fans could audition. So the response makes even less sense.

*shrug* Maybe I'm way off base, and Michael will think the whole thing's hilarious, and will stay as long as Carrie has. And I'm not one to say that hatrack is awful to newbies and they need to be coddled or something, for the most part I think we do fine. This is just a form of hazing that I don't like.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Honestly, I think the response has been pretty mild. I haven't seen any meanness here, just some good humor. And not one mention of Jake Lloyd or Haley Joel Osment.

Oops . . .

I am holding out for Mcully Kulkin, or whatever his name is. "Mack" I think. He could wear make-up... we could make it work.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Michael Shane the Greatest. If you haven't been put off by the barrage of semi-nonsensical retorts to your post your probably going to fit right in.

(oh yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your family lineage has some Dutch roots somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I'm not one to say that hatrack is awful to newbies and they need to be coddled or something, for the most part I think we do fine. This is just a form of hazing that I don't like.
I think it's a disservice to the word 'hazing' to classify this as it. Of course, it's unreasonable to expect someone new to know that we've seen several hundred threads about the EG movie. But it's also unreasonable to expect everyone to treat each (very similar) first-post thread as if it's the first time we've ever seen it.

Humor seems like a good middle ground, especially since it's not directed at the OP. For me, I know the choice is humor or nothing. I figure a gentle good natured ribbing is much nicer than just ignoring the thread altogether. [I realize there are options other than the two I listed, but I just don't have the patience to give a sincere answer to all or even most of these threads. I admire those who do.]

Either that, or we can figure out some sort of template. Have about twenty regulars compose a series of serious posts on the EG movie, complete with links to longer discussions, and whenever a new thread about it is started have everyone go in and, in order, paste their assigned post. That would probably make the new person feel good about starting the thread. Unless they hung around and read some other threads -- then they'd feel like a joke had been played at their expense, and probably be hurt.

edit: Besides, we may as well let Michael know that the movie's cast is going to consist entirely of Hatrackers, based on who called first dibs on the role. Regardless of age, sex, appearance, or acting ability.

I will be playing the Hive Queen. And Stilson.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I would disagree that it's not directed at the OP. I'm not saing it's malicious or anything, but the choices are pretty much being laughed at or laughed with, and if there's no reasonable way to assume you're going to get the joke you're being laughed at. Particularly since I've been chastised (not by anyone posting in this thread so far) in the past for "ruining the joke" when I explained to a new poster what was going on.

But I'm done now. I've registered my complaint, and derailed the derailing enough. I'll go be a crumudgedon elsewhere.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I would've much preferred a response like this (especially with your first post as a guide), as opposed to being ignored because the topic has been beaten like the deadest dead horse around. Heck, when I first started, it took a few months before I feel like I was noticed (by Ralphie!). This ROCKS compared to that.

mph: Can you smell what the Bean is cooking??

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll go be a crumudgedon elsewhere.
I didn't think you were being curmudgeonly. Not wanting a nOOb to feel like a laughingstock is a noble goal.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Welling better be Ender, or I'm just not going to see it.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I would disagree that it's not directed at the OP. I'm not saing it's malicious or anything, but the choices are pretty much being laughed at or laughed with, and if there's no reasonable way to assume you're going to get the joke you're being laughed at. Particularly since I've been chastised (not by anyone posting in this thread so far) in the past for "ruining the joke" when I explained to a new poster what was going on.

But I'm done now. I've registered my complaint, and derailed the derailing enough. I'll go be a crumudgedon elsewhere.

I'd say that actually the original poster is being laughed next to. The thing about that is that when you say something and everyone around you starts laughing and making incomprehensible jokes, it's pretty easy to feel laughed at, even when it's not the case.

I'm also one for explaining the joke, by the way. I hate being in social situations where I don't have the necessary context and am left feeling like I'm in the dark, and when I see someone else in the same situation my instinct is to help them.

If I were new to the forums I wouldn't want to be ignored (of course), and would put up with the jokes that I didn't get, but what I would really appreciate would be posts like ElJay's first one in this thread.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I'm not saing it's malicious or anything, but the choices are pretty much being laughed at or laughed with, and if there's no reasonable way to assume you're going to get the joke you're being laughed at.

no reasonable way you're going to get the joke? James Earl Jones playing a developmentally challenged 5 year old? come now... if this joking were a bit more subtle and nuanced then I could see someone taking offense, but honestly, this is a pretty straightforward parody of the subject.

I would admittedly like to hear the OP's reaction to all this, but I'm doubtful that he'd take offense over this. It certainly helps to have at least one responsible veteran explaining why no one is going to talk much seriously on the subject, but once that's out of the way I think it's fair game for the rest to enjoy.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm not saying you wouldn't know there was a joke, Grimace. But to me, "get the joke" implies that you at least know why it's funny, if not find it funny yourself.

And there's a big difference between taking offense, which I never said he would/should/could, and just kinda saying "Okay then" and going away. Which also would be a reaction at one of the extremities, but honestly, it's what I would do, assuming no one explained what was going on. Noemon's words really fit. . . "I hate being in social situations where I don't have the necessary context and am left feeling like I'm in the dark. . ." Some people can take kidding by strangers a lot better than others. I would see no reason to stay around someplace where my first encounter with the regulars was like that.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be doing everything in my power to sabotage the making of this movie.

BEWARE.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I'll be doing everything in my power to sabotage the making of this movie.

BEWARE.

With the luck the movie's been having, you have an easy job. Either that, or you've been doing some good sabotage.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.