FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The worst "cute" animated sidekicks....

Author Topic: The worst "cute" animated sidekicks....
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...watching a friend's copy of the Dungeons & Dragons animated series on DVD reminded me of just how annoying Uni was.

Yet, Uni was created to appeal to younger viewers. Even as a kid, I loathed the bleating thing.

There are tons of characters like this...the cute comedy relief intended to broaden the show's appeal to younger kids...yet all it did was cause annoyance.

The iconic example is Scrappy Doo. Loud, unfunny, ugly, and managed to bog every scene down.

Or Webby, from DuckTales. She and Mrs. Beakly were created to add a female presence to a very male-heavy show.

In Webby's case, she seemed to be created with all the negative stereotypes about little girls, crammed into one little whiny duck.

It's hard to believe she and Gosalyn of Darkwing Duck fame came from the same studio.

Yet, all these vile, insipid characters were created to be the beloved ones. The sweet, friendly, pre-K merchandisable ones.

Why was this formula used so often, when it only rarely worked?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Because as bad as they were, they rarely stopped anyone from watching the show.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst one ever?

Jar Jar binks. Not really animated. But close.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
The blue monkey from the old Super Friends, and even a step further, the WonderTwins themselves were rather pointless.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Spike/Bumblebee, hands down.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
7-Zark-7 from Battle of the Planets, not least because he was added to the original Japanese series when it was released in America.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Snarf from ThunderCats.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
Because as bad as they were, they rarely stopped anyone from watching the show.

--j_k

I couldn't watch ANY Scooby Doo shows that had Scrappy Doo in them. And I remember a Plastic Man show that had his son or nephew on it... ugh. I wanted to watch it, but couldn't stand the kid.

I never liked or identified with any of the sidekicks on cartoon shows or in superhero comics. The adults were ALWAYS cooler... and anyway, usually the way they were written they had the emotional maturity and intellectual complexity of kids, so you could still identify with them.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - what? Snarf was bad? He was hysterical with all of his worried, totally (what's the word when you're given a task and can't complete it and end up making things worse)-ness. : ) Plus the 'meow' he'd give was totally annoying but I can still hear it now... AND he was there so often for the lessons at the end of the episodes... Man, I love that show.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The weird thing is, I've never met anyone who ever identified with these characters as kids, but the whole idea behind the character is that kids identify with them. I mean, consider another iconic example, Wesley Crusher; did anyone of the appropriate age think, "Hey, this kid's like me, only he gets to fly the ship!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Nope. I thought, 'Wow - he's cute'. Wait - did I just type that?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I was of the appropriate age, and I identified strongly with Wesley Crusher.

At the age of 13-14, he was possibly the favorite part of the show for me.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
i think both m_p_h and cmc need serious psych evals. [Big Grin] Now Deanna Troy that was the ticket right there!

But back to topic - Craig Ferguson says it's Scrappy Doo, don't agree and think the pipsqueak from Beautiful Joe is the worst side kid ever, I think the little dude/t's name is junior???

[ October 22, 2006, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: B34N ]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Psych eval nothing, B34N!! : )

He was cute and he defintely got to do a lot of things that some kids would like to be doing. Probably seems a little cooler to be helping out with the operation of a spacecraft than to be suffering through a Language Arts class at any given point in the day...

edit: to put the 'i'm not really yelling as my punctuation may suggest, i'm just jokin' ' indicator in.

[ October 21, 2006, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: cmc ]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
i think both m_p_h and cmc need serious psych evals. Now Deanna Troy that was the ticket right there!

But back to topic - Craig Ferguson says it's Scrappy Doo, don't agree and think the pipsqueak from Beautiful Joe is the worst side kid ever, I think the little dude/t's name is junior???

I like that kid. He's more serious than Joe is who keeps harping on hamburgers.
But I can't think of other cute annoying sidekicks right now that annoy me.
Perhaps a bit later....

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Godzuke. Hands down.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Ugh. A friend just reminded me of something even worse...when the sidekick takes over the show.

Best example: The Real Ghostbusters. For the first few seasons, Slimer was a secondary background character. He was used mainly for the occasional gross-out gag. If he ever -did- get a story spotlight, it was mainly to bring out a character trait of one of the Ghostbusters, or the Ghost-of-the-episode.

He actually -worked-, treated this way.

Then...came the Slimer season. Suddenly -every- episode was about Slimer.

Suddenly most of every show was spent in crudely drawn, unfunny "cute" Slimer cartoons. The "Ghostbusters" portion of the show began to put Slimer in the pivotal heroic role of every episode, and the formerly quirky, funny secretary character was turned into a bland, pretty straight-woman in order to make Slimer seem "funnier".

My gosh, the entire show was ruined.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zan
Member # 4888

- posted      Profile for Zan   Email Zan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the WonderTwins themselves were rather pointless.
[Cry]
Posts: 221 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i think both m_p_h and cmc need serious psych evals.
I'm sure you had impeccable taste at the age of fourteen.

What was your favorite song and music group back then?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zan:
quote:
[Cry]
Every time I hear something about the Wonder Twins, I think of this Penny Arcade strip. Be forewarned: it's a Penny Arcade strip so there's a chance it may offend you.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:
Originally posted by Zan:
quote:
[Cry]
Wondertwin powers activate!

Form of... yellowfaced smiley!

Form of.... TEARS!

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:

I had the best taste in the world my favorite bands were the incredible group known as New Kids on the Block and Menudo coming a close second!

Wesley Crusher was and still is a TOOL!

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:

I had great taste when I was fourteen! I was into Acoustic Alchemy and Mozart's Great Mass in C Minor. And Irish music.
I was so cool. [Big Grin]

Also I liked Riker a lot. He was workin' that beard, even though I normally don't like beardy men.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The orginal, worst one was Jim-Jim and the pudgy younger brotehr of Speed Racer. No wonder they kept them in the trunk most of the time.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I could have sworn his name was "Spridle", not "Jim-Jim".

But yeah, Speed's little brother finally learned his lesson in the Wildstorm prequel Speed Racer mini-series years ago/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.