FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need Help With Hebrew Pronounciation

Author Topic: Need Help With Hebrew Pronounciation
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a pride thing but I prefer to pronounce things properly when I say them in another language. It bothers me to no end when people say things in another language without having taken the time to really figure out how it ought to be sad.

For the last few years I have taken to addressing my sister "Rachael" with an Old Testament pronounciation of her name. Its wonderfully brutal and harsh sounding. But I am not positive I am doing it right as I am basing it loosely on a series of dramatized Old Testament stories where the actors were speaking in the Egyptian, Herbew, and Aramaic.

Seeing as how there are quite a few folks in these forums I was hoping to get some help on how to properly say Rachael as the Hebrews intended it to be said.

Right now it sounds something along the lines of

"Rahckh El"

If I could get a well outlined pronounciation guide I'd appreciate it greatly.

[ October 25, 2006, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
The "ch" is the "ch" of challah or Channukah.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
So the ch is pronounced with more of an H sound?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
No, see, Rachael is a misspelling, based on a misunderstanding of the word. There is no particle "El" in the original name. A rahel is a young female sheep or goat, I believe.

Anyway, the correct pronunciation is ra-HHEYL, where the \hh\ is intended to represent a sound somewhere between the English \h\ and the German \ch\. It's less harsh than the latter, and more sounded than the former.

The \ey\ sound is the same vowel, more or less, that you have in the word "bake". And I capitalized the second syllable, because that's the one that gets the stress.

I could get into how the \r\ is more of a flap of the tongue against the roof of the mouth (sort of like \d\, but softer, but that's only in ancient Hebrew. In modern Hebrew, it's either an English or a French \r\, depending on how Israeli you want to sound (Israelis tend to do something like a French rolled \r\). But that's probably TMI.

And... I didn't understand the last line of your post.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
No, see, Rachael is a misspelling, based on a misunderstanding of the word. There is no particle "El" in the original name. A rahel is a young female sheep or goat, I believe.

Anyway, the correct pronunciation is ra-HHEYL, where the \hh\ is intended to represent a sound somewhere between the English \h\ and the German \ch\. It's less harsh than the latter, and more sounded than the former.

The \ey\ sound is the same vowel, more or less, that you have in the word "bake". And I capitalized the second syllable, because that's the one that gets the stress.

I could get into how the \r\ is more of a flap of the tongue against the roof of the mouth (sort of like \d\, but softer, but that's only in ancient Hebrew. In modern Hebrew, it's either an English or a French \r\, depending on how Israeli you want to sound (Israelis tend to do something like a French rolled \r\). But that's probably TMI.

And... I didn't understand the last line of your post.

I'm positive that Rahel means sheep.

Is the "El" certainly not a partical from Eloi or Eloheim?

You pretty much did what I asked in the last line of my post Lisa, thanks.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly is not. Some people assumed that the last two letters were that, and started writing the name Rachael, but it's not the case.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
It certainly is not. Some people assumed that the last two letters were that, and started writing the name Rachael, but it's not the case.

again, thanks for the clarification Lisa.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.