FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wizard of Oz t-shirt poll

Author Topic: Wizard of Oz t-shirt poll
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a friend from Kansas who had a sweatshirt with the following on it:
quote:
Dear Aunt Em:
Hate you.
Hate Kansas.
Taking the dog.
Love, Dorothy

My nephew is in a community production of the Wizard of Oz right now, and I was just wondering whether people would think the above too rude for a t-shirt.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so; seems funny to me. Whom would the T-shirt be for?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Just to sell to theater-goers. All the profits go to the community theater.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's too rude, but I've seen it before, and I would bet it's copyrighted.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it on t-shirts, coffee mugs etc. I'd bet it's copyrighted too.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Try

"Today's Todo List.

Get you.

Get your little dog Toto too."

or

"Excuse, me, there's no B in Wicked Witch."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say just about any winged monkey line you can come up with would work pretty well too.

Some things write their own jokes.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My niece went to Oz and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*LAUGH*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the shirts are just fine, if I was in the production I'd wear them at any age.

If Dorothy can say it in the movie, why not on the shirt?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny, if not in copyright violation as others have suggested.

I also think it's funny that you posted this today, when last night I watched The Wizard of Oz for the first time in probably 35 years or more! I didn't like it as a child--thought it was scary and weird and Glinda the Good Witch was frightening in her own right, the Munchkins were creepy and the Cowardly Lion was obnoxious. And I guess I just never got around to watching it again! (Same goes for Alice in Wonderland, which I still haven't revisited--how did I ever grow to be a kid who loved fantasy and SF when I hated these childhood staples?)

I enjoyed it much more as an adult. :-) Though I probably can get by with clips of Judy Garland singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for another 30 years or so before seeing it again!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I actually thought the Winkies were creepier than the Witch.

Oh-ay-oh. Whoa-oh. Oh-ay-oh. Whoa-oh.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it this weekend as well. I wondered if Glenda the Good Witch was supposed to be Aunt Em since the witch, the wizard, the tinman, the scarecrow and the lion were all people she knew. I checked IMDB and they were not played by the same person so I guess not. I thought that would be interesting though.

I think the word 'hate' makes the shirt slightly offensive. Maybe 'sick of' would be a good replacement. It would also be funny to say you took the house too.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dorothy says "hate" because the mean old lady (I remember her last name being Gultch) who later plays the witch got the sheriff to give her documentation to take Dorothy's dog and Auntie Em tells her she can't break the law.

Agreed Winkies winkies were scary in their own right, I actually thought the flying monkeys were the worst.

Something about flying monkeys coming to carry you off to the witch was just scary for me as a little child. The Winkies at least were really good, they were just forced to obey the witch, monkeys seemed alittle less devoid of a will of their own though there is the token monkey who claps upon inspecting the dead wicked witch.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
I watched it this weekend as well. I wondered if Glenda the Good Witch was supposed to be Aunt Em since the witch, the wizard, the tinman, the scarecrow and the lion were all people she knew. I checked IMDB and they were not played by the same person so I guess not. I thought that would be interesting though.

I checked that as well, but mostly because she was played by the same actress in the production I saw yesterday.
Lisa
Member # 8384

They actually included the Jitterbug scene in the play. I haven't even seen that scene from the movie.
andi330
Member # 8572

That scene was cut from the movie and the only way that you can see it is on DVDs that have cut scenes. It was never done to movie standards so it's a little grainey.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I didn't like it as a child--thought it was scary and weird and Glinda the Good Witch was frightening in her own right, the Munchkins were creepy and the Cowardly Lion was obnoxious.

You ought to watch Wicked then! [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Or better yet, A Barnstormer In Oz.
andi330
Member # 8572

I loved Wicked both the musical and the book. A word of warning for those who have seen the play but not read the book. The book is very different from the play. There is a lot of bad language and at least one fairly explicit sexual scenes. I found it interesting that Maguire states that he wrote Son of a Witch at least in part because so many girls as young as age 12, were writing him to ask what happened to Liir. If I were a parent, I wouldn't let my twelve-year-old read that book.
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Wicked (the book).

Don't know anything about the musical, and probably wouldn't watch it if I had the chance. Musicals bother me.

But great book.

Sorry about not contributing about t-shirts.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.