FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Python Eats 11 Guard Dogs

Author Topic: Python Eats 11 Guard Dogs
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070126/od_nm/malaysia_python_dc

Hehe ^^.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor doggies.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor dogs, but hey, the snake was only doing what came natural when it gets hungry. It ate food. At least the villagers didn't kill the python.

"And now for something completely different."

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it would have made a darn good guard python.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
Poor dogs, but hey, the snake was only doing what came natural when it gets hungry. It ate food.

This made me think of Trigun.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee has a point, I think I am getting a python instead of a dog for security.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
They should call it Monty.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a mighty big snake.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperKeeper:
They should call it Monty.

hah!
[Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Contrast this with our treatment of the mountain lions from another thread.

Not the smartest guard dogs, snakes don't eat fruit!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
What, they didn't make it to an even dozen before someone figured out something was wrong?

Good for them for not just killing it, though.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Smile]
I had a boa once as a pet. His name was Spot. He was a good snake.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just know that there's a Sir Mix-A-Lot joke in there somewhere.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, rather than a guard python, it sounds like a much better burglar's python.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*invokes animal compaion fantasy trope*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Villagers did not harm the snake, which was tied to a tree then handed to wildlife officials
How does one tie a 23-foot snake to a tree? I'd think it would be strong enough to break a rope. [Eek!]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
meh ... BlackWidow eats 37dogs
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Poor doggies.
Nah. Lucky snake.

quote:
How does one tie a 23-foot snake to a tree? I'd think it would be strong enough to break a rope.
No, you misunderstand. Imagine the scene from Jungle Book where Baloo ties Kaa to a tree. No rope neccessary.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

[Razz]

(But really, how do they do that? I'm figuring the only place to put the rope securely is right behind its head, but is that enough to hold a snake that size, or would they need to pretty much straightjacket the snake full-length to the tree?)

*is oddly fascinated by the concept of large-scale snake-confinement*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:

"And now for something completely different."

Stan wins the thread!
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:
[Razz]

(But really, how do they do that? I'm figuring the only place to put the rope securely is right behind its head, but is that enough to hold a snake that size, or would they need to pretty much straightjacket the snake full-length to the tree?)

*is oddly fascinated by the concept of large-scale snake-confinement*

They certainly did not tie the snake to itself, you usually have to break a snakes bones to be able to do that.

Snakes certainly are not strong enough to break a good rope. Remember their strength is in their ability to crush their coils together. You won't see a snake even attempt to move their prey to a more secure locations because they simply cannot manage it.

Snakes move by "waving" or I guess you could say pressing their belly scales against the ground and pulling them back in a coordinated fashion. A less effective means of transportation to be sure but they have managed it quite grandly. This allows them to move their bulks quite efficiently but snakes are not a "fast animal" by a long shot. In fact, if a snake has just eaten it is hard pressed to move anywhere. Hence if you agitate a fed snake it will regurgitate its prey so that it can flee more efficiently, (though there might be more to it then that).

To illustrate it another way, take crocodiles. Any human being can clasp a crocodiles jaws shut, the muscles that open it are quite weak, but try prying their jaws open and you have an epic struggle on your hands. In same token, any snake can be prevented from slithering away by an adult. Its nearly impossible to uncoil a snake that is constricting somebody.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Ah. Thank you, that makes much more sense now. I'm used to dogs and horses, and I have hardly any experience with snakes (read: none), so I was having trouble shaking the collar/halter/leash images out of my head.

But just to clarify, by "straightjacket" I never meant that I thought they tied the snake to itself. I was thinking something more along the lines of possibly confining its body by wrapping it around the tree. Stupid, I know, but if securing its head isn't enough, and since snakes wrap themselves around trees and branches with no ill effects...well, it made sense in my head. Almost. [Dont Know]

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but how good of a guard dog can it be to get beaten by a python? A python, frankly, isn't the most agile creature in the world, you know.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you ever seen the movie Anaconda? Those suckas are lightning fast!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Haven't you ever seen the movie Anaconda?

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer. Personal pride is at risk.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Haven't you ever seen the movie Anaconda?

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer. Personal pride is at risk.
They can strike EXTREMELY fast, they don't chase down their prey they ambush it. I imagine the other dogs when they saw it kill the first one came over and that was the last mistake they ever made.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the impression the eating of 11 dogs took place over a length of days / weeks / months. While Pythons can eat large animals, I'm not sure it could handle 11 medium animals all at once...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Contrast this with our treatment of the mountain lions from another thread.

Hey, I wasn't in favor of the treatment of those mountain lions and it's not standard treatment where I live, although I apparently killed the thread so it's not like anyone knows that. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
<shrug> It's a snake-eat-dog world out there.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The snake ate dogs, not people. If it had eaten people, the reaction might have been different.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The snake ate dogs, not people. If it had eaten people, the reaction might have been different.

perhaps. Snakes typically have no qualms with eating whatever is in front of them, human or otherwise. Its a pretty stark contrast with many other predators who find humans unappealing on the average.
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:

I got the impression the eating of 11 dogs took place over a length of days / weeks / months. While Pythons can eat large animals, I'm not sure it could handle 11 medium animals all at once...

I'm sure that's the case. There was nothing in the article to indicate that it ate 11 dogs in a short space of time. The wording of "before it was finally discovered by villagers" also implies it was a long term affair.

While pythons can swallow animals whole, they take days/weeks to digest their food.

[ January 28, 2007, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: Euripides ]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the picture of all the guys holding the snake and sporting huge grins. And it's not even tied to the tree, yet.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.