FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sudden Sinuses

Author Topic: Sudden Sinuses
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
So here's my quandry, if anyone has advise it would be much appreciated:

I'm 25 now and never had any issues with my sinuses until the last week or so. It's like someone turned on a switch where for the last week my sinuses have been ranging between uncomfortable-somewhat painful (headache, mild upset stomach-kinda, congestion etc...)

so here's my questions:
1) Is it normal (or at least not bad) to suddenly develop sinus problems like that (literally nothing before and suddenly to a painful level within a day or two)? I've heard that sometimes mid-life you'll develop allergies and the like, but never heard of it being so sudden.

2) For those more experienced in sinus problems, what can you do about it? tried taking some daytime tylenol or the like that my roomate had, but it didnt seem to do anything. For the most part I'm sure I can survive, but if there's anything like drinking tea, taking vitamin C and the like that can help it would be much appreciated.

Thx muchly in advance.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Mucinex!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the commercials are silly, but pH is right -- Mucinex does work. It's a mucus thinner -- helps keep you drained.

It isn't cheap, though. However, you can sometimes get store brands (Safeway, Long's, etc.) for cheaper although make sure that the major ingredient isn't mixed with something else and it will most likely be a lower concentration than the name brand.

Some folks have luck with claritin if you have other allergy symptoms (sore throat, itchy eyes, etc.). In general, the over-the-counter allergy/sinus things don't work so well because they just dry you out.

If the Mucinex alone doesn't help and it feels like things are clogged up, what you need to do is go to the doctor and get a prescription for a steroid spray -- Rhinocort, Flonase, etc.

My doctor has me on 4 sprays of Rhinocort per day + Mucinex when I need it. And it seems to be working well. It doesn't take away the symptoms of allergies, but it keeps from getting the crippling sinus pain and even infections that I have been plagued with.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, ok I'll have to look into that.

also, the annoying thing for me is that since it's such a new occurance (also I don't really have any other allergies to speak of) that I don't have a gauge to tell me if this is actually a bad reaction or if I'm just a pansy.

i.e. I could be way over-reacting to a mild case of sinus pressure, or I could be really taking it like a champ and just not realizing it. I mean, I can very clearly feel the pressure, but am generally able to function just fine (it's usually not terribly painful, though occasionally the headache/pressure gets to a more and more uncomfortable point...) I'm just really thrown off by the whole thing.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Allergies often develop around 25.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You could also have a sinus infection. Severe sinus symptoms or symptoms that last >10 days would benefit from an evaluation in person by a healthcare professional.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I agree with CT.

And being able to function is no sign of how severe or persistent it might be. I went two months before seeing a doctor. It was a stupid thing to do -- I kept thinking, well, it's not that bad right now and I can still go to work, so...

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
1. See your doctor. Check for sinus infection.
2. I would say, "Try Sudafed Non-drying Sinus," but my tried-and-true medication is off the market, thanks to meth freaks.
3. Try Mucinex(which sounds like my old stand-by)
4. Flush your sinuses as often as possible with either the nasty-tasting "Ocean" saline spray, or with a salt water solution(CT had a good recipe, I will see f i can find it)
5. Try Claritin-D.
6. there is something called a "neti pot," which is used by Yogi medicine folk, and which can be found in a health food store. It is a sinus-flushing gizmo.
7. If you have a Water Pik, there is an attachment you can get to flush the nose.
8.Good luck. It stinks. I would stay away from the steroid nose sprays if you can. They always make my nose bleed.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came out of the doctor's office not two hours ago, and they recomended mucinex. I'm also on an antibiotic though, so you might want to have it checked out.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use steroid sprays if you can help it. They can make you feel weird and can cause funky physiological happenings if used too much.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Try this stuff. I found it by clicking on a targeted ad in my gmail account a couple of years ago, and I swear by it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
Don't use steroid sprays if you can help it. They can make you feel weird and can cause funky physiological happenings if used too much.

The worst for me was Flonase.
The best was Beconase(sp)(very mild)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
The worst for me was Flonase.

Oh, yeah. Ice-pick headache. >_<
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
2. I would say, "Try Sudafed Non-drying Sinus," but my tried-and-true medication is off the market, thanks to meth freaks.

I believe you can still get regular pseudoephedrine, but it's kept behind the counter, and I've heard that you have to put your name into some sort of database. I don't know how true that is.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Entirely. However, some medications have been reformulated instead, and the Sudafed line is among them. If you want a particular combination/formulation that no longer exists (like the one Elizabeth specified), it can be very frustrating.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Elizabeth, you need to see a doctor. The sudden onset and severity of symptoms implies a sinus infection.

For general sinus irritation, all the other suggestions are fine.

Steve/bboyminn

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had a sinus infection last week, but it ended up being some kind of cold or something. (I'm guessing since it went away on its own and sinus infections don't for me.) I had a killer headache, high fever one day and low fever for the rest of the week, and a hot feeling to the skin around my nose and eyes. I felt dry and icky for days.

I took over the counter Alavert, and after it kicked in 12 hours later, it was pretty good. Just stay out of the heater or your nose will get too dry. Also, I'm a big believer in Kleenex with aloe in them.

As for the sudden onset, if you're in the southeast, it could be because of the high pollen levels we're having this spring. Even if you're not allergic to anything, the sheer volume of pollen could be bothering you.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

JonBoy, as Rivka said, so it is. I believe this is now across the country. It happened very quickly, starting in the Midwest, I believe, and then spreading everywhere. (not sure about everywhere! Definitely here-Mass.-and obviously California)

At first, stores just wouldn't let you stock up, which was stinky, because those products are not cheap, and with kids and my own sinus issues, I liked to get a good deal.

The new formulas are just not as good, and sadly, my non-drying sinus recipe is no longer anywhere I can find.

Sheesh, if I could get it on the streets of Springfield, I would!I am going to try the Mucinex, and the other product mentioned.

Ikemook
Member # 9973

- posted      Profile for Ikemook   Email Ikemook         Edit/Delete Post 
As others have said, if this happened suddenly, go see a doctor. Especially if, when you blow your nose, the mucus is at least partially colored (usually yellow or green). Sinus infections can lead to ear infections and (though, to the best of my knowledge, this is rare) meningitis. The bacteria from them can get just about anywhere in your skull, since your sinuses are located all around your head.

As for stuff against allergies, if they get really bad, go see a doctor for a prescription. I have a prescription for Zyrtec D (used to be Allegra D, but that got too expensive and my doctor switched to this). It works well. I live in Gainesville, FL, which has by far one of the heaviest year-round concentrations of pollen in the state (and probably in the country). I manage to get by most of the year (save seasonal changes) without having to blow my nose. Any prescription or non-prescription medication requires some time to really take effect. It has to saturate your system, as I've found out when I've run out of meds or had to switch. It took several days for the meds to kick back in once I'd gotten more.

And yes, the new anti-meth thing with stuff like Sudafed is everywhere. You have to put your name in a book, along with your address and driver's license number. You can only check out a certain amount of the stuff per day (enough for 10 1/2 day pills, or 5 full day pills...though it might be a little more). I can't stand it.

--David

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"infections can lead to ear infections and (though, to the best of my knowledge, this is rare) meningitis."

I remember laughing when my grandmother told me that a cold could lead to a brain infection.

Well, the laugh was on me when I got a rare encephalitis which(they think, but do not know for sure) was triggered by a sinus unfection which went untreated.

I am no doctor, but I think any untreated infection can lead to other, more serious conditions. Not always, but it is a dangerous game to play.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
An often overlooked cause of sudden onset sinus discomfort is alien abduction. They bring you onto the mother ship and insert probes, you know, in your crevices. And sometimes, if you get a new intern alien who isn't as skilled as a more experienced alien in the probage, they may leave a bit of probe behind in the sinuses, leading to discomfort.

Moral of the story? [Hat] <-- Keep your hat lined with tin foil.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Elizabeth, you want specifically Mucinex-D. (I actually prefer the -DM formulation, but that doesn't have pseudoephedrine, which is what you're looking for.)
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
New Sudafed = New Coke for allergy sufferers. I don't care how many meth freaks blow themselves up in their meth labs, I want the real sudafed back *cry*.

Claritin-D has real sudafed in it. That's why it works. (or at least, they were running commercials saying they hadn't changed their forumula. If it's on the shelf instead of behind the counter they might have changed their minds.)

I'm gonna hafta try Mucinex. Is it OTC?

Flonase was bad... horrible headaches and nosebleeds...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Mucinex is OTC.

In terms of the steroid sprays, it all depends on your body's physiology, how you use them, which ones you use and what you use alongside them.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
As of 10 days ago, Claritin D is still real sudafed.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Mucinex comes in multiple formulations. All are OTC; Mucinex-D is the only one that is behind-the-counter (we need a new acronym: BTC) and the only one with pseudoephedrine.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

thanks everyone for the advise, for the time being I don't think I'm going to go to the doctor. My roomate, my friend who was out here and a bunch of coworkers in the area have been complaining of sinus problems for the last week or so, so I think it's just something in the air that I just started reacting to. That and the last couple days have been much better already.

I really don't think I was having too severe a reaction, but like I said it was hard to gauge. I'll definately keep an eye on it, and see if any of this advise helps me out in the future.

btw, on the meth issue, arent the old formulas on at least some of the stuff still available, but you just have to ask the pharmacist? (i.e. not perscription, but they want to make sure you're not buying a ton of it to make drugs...)

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
btw, on the meth issue, arent the old formulas on at least some of the stuff still available, but you just have to ask the pharmacist? (i.e. not perscription, but they want to make sure you're not buying a ton of it to make drugs...)

Only if the company did not choose to reformulate. Old versions of Sudafed, for instance, have been replaced entirely. Others, such as Mucinex-D, have found a new home BTC instead of getting reformulated.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the old-style sudafed is still available behind the counter. My husband eats two of them every day with breakfast. I just have to sign the national registry log and show my picture ID to get it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Still branded as Sudafed?

Apparently.

Looks like Elizabeth may even be able to get her formulation. Although she may not. The drug stores around here have shelf tags for the BTC drugs, and I don't recall seeing any of the Sudafed ones. So maybe not all stores are carrying all the BTC varieties?

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Alavert for my sinus/allergy stuff. It doesn't completely eliminate all the symptoms but it doesn't give me any side effects either. I will have to try Mucinex and see what happens with that.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.