FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who reads newspapers anyway?

Author Topic: Who reads newspapers anyway?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother passed along a funny email forward I hadn't seen before. I thought I'd share. (Nobody hurt me, please.)

quote:
The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.

The Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country.

The New York Times is read by people who think they should run the country and who are very good at crossword puzzles.

USA Today is read by people who think they ought to run the country but don't really understand The New York Times. They do, however, like their statistics shown in pie charts.

The Los Angeles Times is read by people who wouldn't mind running the country - if they could find the time, and if they didn't have to leave Southern California to do it.

The Boston Globe is read by people whose parents used to run the country and did a far superior job of it, thank you very much.

The New York Daily News is read by people who aren't too sure who's running the country and don't really care as long as they can get a seat on the train.

The New York Post is read by people who don't care who's running the country as long as they do something really scandalous, preferably while intoxicated.

The Miami Herald is read by people who are running another country but need the baseball scores.

The San Francisco Chronicle is read by people who aren't sure there is a country, or that anyone is running it; but if so, they oppose all that they stand for. There are occasional exceptions: if the leaders are handicapped, minority, feminist, atheist, dwarfs who also happen to be illegal aliens from any other country or galaxy, provided, of course, that they are not conservatives.

The National Enquirer is read by people trapped in line at the grocery store.

And, finally, the country IS run by someone who cannot read any newspapers at all.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
The bit about the National Enquirer hits very close to home. :-)
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
It had me until the last line. Cheap and predictable potshot.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
True, but the last line didn't deminish my enjoyment of the rest of it.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam says it's funny because it's true. Though I don't think he does the crossword puzzles at work.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's those of us who get the news at Hatrack.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
It had me until the last line. Cheap and predictable potshot.

when I sent it on to a friend of mine, I simply deleted the last line. [Razz]
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon:
True, but the last line didn't deminish my enjoyment of the rest of it.

Also true. The rest of it was really funny.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny! It's insulting practically every political group except Wall Street Journal readers about running the country...why not the guy who actually is? I don't see anything partisan in the post.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I didn't say it was partisan. I said it was a cheap and predictable potshot. You don't have to be a Democrat to call Bush stupid, and you don't have to be a Republican to be sick of the Bush-is-dumb jokes.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely the Bush-is-dumb jokes aren't any older than the "X newspaper caters to X demographic" jokes?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Miami Herald is read by people who are running another country but need the baseball scores.
I'm angry about the fact that I laughed at this.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Surely the Bush-is-dumb jokes aren't any older than the "X newspaper caters to X demographic" jokes?
Maybe not, but they're more common. Any joke gets old when you hear a version of it approximately every day for seven years.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Bush is dumb jokes will stop being funny when we don't have a President who is dumb.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I'm not even going to dignify that by getting into an argument about it. This thread is not the place to discuss it. Not that I'll participate if a new thread is made for it, because I find the whole thing far too tiresome.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
And then there's those of us who get the news at Hatrack.

[Wave]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the Los Angeles Daily News-- the reporting and editing were better in the Times, but it's about 12 times more expensive and the delivery person sucked. Really sucked. Couldn't get it on our doorstep (which we have NEVER had a problem with from the Daily News) and left it in the driveway, and when the delivery guy was sick for a weekend we just didn't get our paper. The customer service people didn't seem to care, and were very rude when we called to tell them we were switching back to the Daily News (and the Daily News not only gave us 40% off, and their REGULAR daily rate was cheaper than the Times' weekend rate, but they also gave us an Entertainment Book for switching back-- which basically pays for the paper for the year, since it has coupons for money off at the grocery store each month.)

So in our case, people who read the L.A. Daily News are people who would read the Times if they weren't such buttlickers.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
"Surely the Bush-is-dumb jokes aren't any older than the "X newspaper caters to X demographic" jokes? "
I don't know if they are as old as the "Don't call me Shirley" jokes?

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

I've started rereading the Mad Magazines of my younger days, and aside from making MUCH more sense, I was quite interested that they portray Bill Clinton to be just as stupid as George W. Bush.

I think this country has been calling its presidents dumb and worse since its inception.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was funny, but it left out the Chicago Sun-Times and the Houston Chronicle.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The part about the Chronicle was spot on though.

Oh, and I get my news from Fark. (too bad it's down right now...)

I'll be really happy when the last newspaper dies and we can just get all our news from the net. Not only will they have to move their self-published blogs onto their own websites, but they can stop calling me and trying to get me to pay them to let me read it.

Anything they have to say can be found on the internet for free. We don't need them for the AP feed and the average jatraquero has a better considered opinion than most of their opinion writers anyway.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Time and Newsweek are written by people who think the New York Times runs the country, and read by people who have a choice between that and "Highlights" in the waiting room.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I read the Los Angeles Daily News-- the reporting and editing were better in the Times, but it's about 12 times more expensive and the delivery person sucked. Really sucked. Couldn't get it on our doorstep (which we have NEVER had a problem with from the Daily News) and left it in the driveway, and when the delivery guy was sick for a weekend we just didn't get our paper. The customer service people didn't seem to care, and were very rude when we called to tell them we were switching back to the Daily News (and the Daily News not only gave us 40% off, and their REGULAR daily rate was cheaper than the Times' weekend rate, but they also gave us an Entertainment Book for switching back-- which basically pays for the paper for the year, since it has coupons for money off at the grocery store each month.)

So in our case, people who read the L.A. Daily News are people who would read the Times if they weren't such buttlickers.

What's so wrong with papers in the driveway rather than the doorstep?

(I get why the other stuff sucked!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Time and Newsweek are written by people who think the New York Times runs the country.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

What's so wrong with papers in the driveway rather than the doorstep?

(I get why the other stuff sucked!)

Well, in our case, we live in an apartment complex. "In the driveway" is equivalent to "on the street"-- the paper gets driven on, repeatedly, if it is there, and is also liable to get stolen. "On the doorstep" to us means "somewhere on the raised area in front of the apartment that is not the street." It's kind of like "in the yard" vs. "on the street." And we asked them to do this for FIVE MONTHS, every week we asked them, three papers a week, and we got exactly 10 papers delivered the right way, the rest were in the driveway, which is basically the street.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Salt Lake Tribune is run and read by people who wish they were in New York, but don't actually want to live there.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bush is dumb jokes will stop being funny when we don't have a President who is dumb.
ha ha .. ha .. heh .. hm

*sob*

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.