FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender TV or why I hate movies made out of books

Author Topic: Ender TV or why I hate movies made out of books
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, allow me to submit for your consideration. Ender the TV series. Smartly written, well funded and produced as a series for the Scifi channel or some other excellent network.

My premise you ask? Each book is one season and each chapter an episode. Every episode adapted as faithfully as can be done in the visual media, yet every wonderful detail, character development and subplot given the breathing room it deserves. All them done in chronological order.

Season 1: Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow
Season 2: Shadow of the Hedgemon
Season 3: Shadow Puppets
Season 4: Shadow of the Giant
Webisodes: First Meetings (sans Ender's Game) and other short stories from the Enderverse.
Season 6: Ender/Bean's Son Novel
Season 5: Speaker for the Dead
Season 6: Xenocide
Season 7: Children of the Mind
Season 8: New Ender Novel

Look at that. An entire eight seasons of high quality television right there, just ready to go!

No snip and chop to try and fit a wonderfully rich and complex story into a foolishly short 2 1/2 to 3 hours or even 8 hours. What do I call this? Damn good TV.

The British have been doing this for years. Why don't we do the same? Heroes is also doing the book with chapters thing, except they don't really know where they are going and what the endgame is going to be. So who knows when and if they will jump the shark. Not a problem here. No shark jumping allowed, just stick to the story.

Okay so this is just copied over from my post on the "other" forum, but I'm not kidding. And not just the Ender series, but any good series of books. I hate the way movies chop up a good book to make it fit into the two hours or 3 hours for a movie. TV really is a better media for adapting novels because of the amount time that a story can be given.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
So true, but then the trouble with television is censorship.
You'll have some nut-witted censor wanting to cut out everything that's cool.
"No, you can't have a bunch of kids fighting in space, that's too violent! You can't show babies in mortal peril! The ratings will be awful, and such LANGUAGE."
Prehaps cable wouldn't be a bad medium but how many of us have cable?
I say they should make movies go as long as they have to to tell a story.
They should just split really long movies in half or something, two 3 hour long movies, extra money, sounds good to me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent idea. The only problem is, there's no compelling need for the Ender series to be adapted in any form.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

Prehaps cable wouldn't be a bad medium but how many of us have cable?

Not a whole lot, it would appear.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No cable here (well, cable modem, but no cable TV at all).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me direct you to the TV on DVD section of the store, right this way...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Post edited in light of the fact that I was wrong.
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
No need to post the same thread on both sides of the forum.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a BBC-style miniseries or 12-episode series?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.