FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Big Amazon Sale Thread - Whedon DVD Sale

Author Topic: Big Amazon Sale Thread - Whedon DVD Sale
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone here is a big Buffy fan: The 40 disc collector's set is Amazon's big sale today, for $94.99 (a little more than half off), but there's a limited supply.

Link.

Personally I would LOVE to buy it while the sale is so good. It comes out to about $13.50 per season, which is pretty good for a series that is selling on a per season basis in the mid 30's. But I've been SO good these past few months in not making any impulse purchases. Still, the frugal side of me knows I'll never get this good a price again, so I'd like to save while I can.

I'll probably get it, and if I change my mind I'll send it back.

[ February 21, 2009, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Blockbuster here rents a season for $9 which makes the thirteen for life sound amazing.

But I've been very bad making purchases lately so I am not doing it.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

My own DVD buying habits have changed drastically recently. I think after buying MASH, Friends, Stargate and The West Wing all separately, only to find an amazingly priced, extra special features laden set come out soon after the end of the show, I'm extremely jaded by buying shows as they come out, and now I will wait, from now on, for full sets to come out before I buy anything. Especially given the deals on West Wing and Stargate lately, I'm a little peeved. I almost went to buy BSG the other day, but I figured it'll be over in a year, and no matter how much I like it, I refuse to pay that much when I can get a better deal later.

But I doubt I'll ever get a better deal on Buffy than this, and it'll give me a chance to see the last two seasons, which I never caught on television. Plus I hope there are good behind the scenes stuff for "Once More With Feeling."

I've never checked Amazon's Gold Box daily specials, and now I'm kicking myself for it, they really have some great stuff on there. This thread might turn into a little Amazon sale alert thread in the future.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is behind the scenes stuff for the musical epi, but I could have missed it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
There is, and it is very funny. Allyson lipsyncs to "Mustard" and there's some nice footage of James and his guitar. And Joss is hilarious.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'll have to borrow that disk again during christmas break.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, with TV shows I decided to (with the exception of Doctor Who, because I hope that it never ends) buy the seasons after the show is canceled.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I got this set for about that price last year at buy.com. Definitely worth it.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of a Buffy sale this place has a buy one get one free dealie going on with certain Fox DVD collections... anyone want to snag the Complete Angel Box Set with me for fifty bucks?
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd totally be up for going halvesies on the Angel deal. In fact, I was just about to come here and post about it myself. Drop me an email- tarrsk [at] yahoo [dot] com.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oo Another good deal, but not really a show I went for.

On the other hand, I got Buffy in the mail today and thought it was awesome. Visually appealing packaging, and yet space saving with extra features. I plan to start my Buffy bonanza by the weekend. Have to make sure all the discs work [Smile] .

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Yeah, I'd totally be up for going halvesies on the Angel deal. In fact, I was just about to come here and post about it myself. Drop me an email- tarrsk [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Sent!

Lyrhawn - Yeah the Chosen Collection is gorgeous. I'm actually in the middle of my own Buffy binge (Just started Season 4) now watching the extras and listening to the commentaries as well. I noticed one my season "folders" has a some chipped pages, and one of the discs has an ooky episode and I got a little too close to ordering a back-up/replacement/vault copy/ANYREASON... 'cause it's such a nice sale...

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Love my Chosen Collection, although the actual DVD cases are kind of prone to breakage. The fact that it's gotten an unbelievable amount of use over the past year and a half probably hasn't helped matters any, though.

Hmmm... speaking of which, it's been months since I last watched Buffy. Maybe it's time to start it up again. That's the wonderful thing about these boxsets- by the time you've finished them once, it's been so long since you saw the first episodes that you can just start over from the beginning without it feeling repetitious.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

It's funny that you say that, because the season I seem to remember least is the 7th. I don't know why, I've seen a lot of the other episodes several times. But I'm also only going through my second proper rewatch of the series after at least a year or so ago from when I first saw Buffy, though looking through my neat-o episode book I recall all the episodes pretty well except for season 7. I can't wait to hit the last season, I remember at least the feeling of it being my favorite.
But it definitely doesn't feel boring watching them over again, since there's so much little things you forget the go on. Going back and watching the first season again was a blast.

Oh, and just in case you didn't get my mail, I use Gmail and I think sometimes it gets dumped in junk mail, if you need me to resend just let me know or get me at (here we go):
SuperMegaUltraDeluxe@Gmail.com

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Did anyone catch the Arrested Development sale today? They had all three seasons for $30.

Sad to say I missed it, though I have the first two seasons, that's still an incredible price.

There's a DVD sale tonight, but I don't know what's for sale. They've hinted it's something to do with gates, but I'm not convinced it's Stargate.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It IS Stargate. Atlatis to be specific. Seasons 1-3 are on sale for $75, which is half off the original price.

Much as I'd love to pick up Seasons 2 and 3, that's still not quite good enough to justify the money. Maybe if I didn't have Season 1.

Sale is on until 1am EST.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's sale: the first 2 seasons of Rome for $60.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If you're a fan of Angel, the complete series is on sale on Amazon today for half off.

$70 for all five (I think?) seasons.

The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
If you're a fan of Angel, the complete series is on sale on Amazon today for half off.

$70 for all five (I think?) seasons.

Yeah, all five. I snagged it [Smile]
shathias
Member # 11434

- posted      Profile for shathias           Edit/Delete Post 
My husband so wants to buy this, but we've never seen any of the episodes. We really love BtVS, so is Angel as good? Or at least worth it?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I didn't make it past the first season, but I've heard really good things about it.
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

I love it nearly the same. I think if Angel had more time, it would have surpassed Buffy (in amazingness).
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Angel is WAY better. If you liked Buffy you should be very happy with Angel.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Angel and have bought all five seasons already. I thought it was better than Buffy (although I've only watched seasons 1-4 of B).
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Battlestar Galactica Season 2 is the Gold Box deal of the day. $25 for either 2.0 or 2.5, so basically $50 for the whole season, which is roughly half off the price.

Also, for the next couple hours they are selling a one TB (terrabyte, that's 1000GB) for $200.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There's a big Sci Fi Sale going on right now. Stargate DVDs are half off, including the box set. Buffy the complete series is on sale half off for $100, Firefly is half off, Roswell and X-Files are half off, Angel is half off. There's more I think but I can't think of what off the top of my head. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000205801&plpage=1

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Whedon Sale is at hand

It's mostly Buffy and Angel with a little Tru Calling, but Firefly is a little more than half off, and I think Dr. Horrible is on sale for 30% off, or around $10.

I never bought Dr. Horrible, but I just heard the other day about Commentary: The Musical! which is one of two commentary tracks on the DVD where the cast supposedly sings some goofy commentary track that has little to do with the actual movie. It sounds hilarious. I might pick it up.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I never bought Dr. Horrible, but I just heard the other day about Commentary: The Musical! which is one of two commentary tracks on the DVD where the cast supposedly sings some goofy commentary track that has little to do with the actual movie. It sounds hilarious. I might pick it up.

This is entirely true. Songs include "I'm Better Than Neil" by Nathan Fillion; "It's All About Me" by the groupies, newscasters, and Bad Horse chorus members; "Nobody's Asian in the Movies" by co-writer Maurissa Tancharoen; and a sweet romantic ballad by Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, and Jed Whedon about their shared love for a Flash-based game. (Note: link doesn't work in Internet Explorer.) And more. It's worth the ten bucks. [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but according to Whedon's NPR interview, that commentary track took longer to write than the feature.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.