FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To all network printing gurus

Author Topic: To all network printing gurus
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Help!

I have a printer that works just fine, but the network card is fried and we aren't going to buy a new card. I would still like to use it. How can I share it on a network with a domain?

I have connected it to a computer through the LPT port and shared it. I can add it on other local computers through it's share with a network account and it works fine, but if someone else logs on it shows up but doesn't work.

We use local profiles, and I have set up "default profiles" so everyone has the same desktop. Roaming profiles don't work because there are different desktops according to location in our school. Shop, library, and classrooms all have different desktops and programs.

When I add the computer with my "log on" and use a local account to copy my profile over the default profile, other users still can't use the printer. I think it is an authentication issue. Does anyone know of any software or tactics I can use so that other users then me on the domain can use the shared printer?

Remember, it is shared from a computer because the printer does not have a network card anymore.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a usb or firewire port on the printer then just get an adapter.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy a network card or standalone network print server device, on the grounds that the time you'll spend coming up with a good solution for this one will exceed the cost of a card.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

That is a good idea. Is there a software program that I can install on a computer that will make it act as a print server the 2003 Server can utilize? I also have 50+ Pentium II computers my aids are rebuilding to give to homeless kids (kids in our district who live in hotels or cannot afford computers for word processors).

Do you know of a website where I could convert one of those into a print server and connect the printer into it?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The longterm cost of running an entire extra computer day and night as a print server for a single local printer will greatly exceed the cost of an additional network card or print server adapter.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
what brand/model printer are you using?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
The longterm cost of running an entire extra computer day and night as a print server for a single local printer will greatly exceed the cost of an additional network card or print server adapter.
That is why I am asking if there is a program I can put on one of the computers that the students will already be using.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I don't think you can safely guarantee the integrity of any network resource if you're going to shackle it to a public-access student computer. Honestly, lem, I wouldn't do it.
lem
Member # 6914

Ok, Thank you for the input. I will go price some print server devices at our local computer store. Thank you. I was a little fuzzy on how this all works.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.