FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Boon, stay out of this thread (everyone else welcome to read) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Boon, stay out of this thread (everyone else welcome to read)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The package is all wrapped up and I'm about to take it. If you missed the deadline to e-mail but would like me to send a printout separately for her to add to the notebook, feel free to do so.

It is now safe to send gifts or cards, providing they shouldn't get there faster than Thurs. or Fri. There is no deadline on when to send. If you're coming into this thread late but still want to send a gift or card, just e-mail to ask for mailing information.

Please remember that e-mails go to hatrackbabyshower AT yahoo DOT com, not to me!

Thanks!

I just found out that Boon is on her fourth baby, and has never had a baby shower, which is kind of disappointing to her. And all her friends are scattered all over the place, and all that. (And she did give away all but a handful of her baby things, so she could use a few more clothes and blankets if anyone wants to send some.) So I thought: why can't we throw her a virtual baby shower?

Here's my idea for how it could work: everyone who wants to send a message of well-wishes to her e-mails me one and I will include those in a notebook that I print out and mail to her. Everyone who would like to send a card and/or present to her can e-mail me for her address and send it (preferably having cards and gifts get there after the notebook or folder with e-mails, explaining what is going on.) And I will send some treats for her and her family to eat, and maybe a book of gender-prediction games or something since she's not finding out, along with a few gifts and a card sending her "Hatrack baby shower wishes" (and my own present to her, of course!)

Would anybody do this? Or do you have better ideas for what we could do? Input, please!

edit to change title

edit: after discussing her due date, logistics, etc. with my husband, here's the plan: if you want a message included in the book, please e-mail it to hatrackbabyshower AT yahoo DOT com by next Monday (Jan. 7.) If you want Boon's name and address to send a card or gift, please e-mail at the same address to get her mailing address. (You are perfectly welcome to do both, but please send the message to her separately so I can just print out those e-mails to place in the folder.) I will send out a notification when the package with explanation of what is going on has gone out and it should be safe to send gifts and cards after that (it will probably be by next Wed.) If you need information on what she has and what she is in need of, you can ask when you send your e-mail. Of course you are welcome to send gifts at any time after she gets the package explaining what's going on, so don't fret that you have to do it next week. [Smile] I just thought it would be nice to do it soon because she's expecting the baby any time after the 15th, and she's got a lot of stress right now and this might be a good pick-me-up.

Thanks to everyone who participates in any way, I know she'll love it.

Oh, and she does not know the gender, so if you send gifts before the baby is born, gender-neutral is best. [Smile]

[ January 08, 2008, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do it! I don't know Boon all that well, but not having a shower after four kids sucks, and I'm still in gift giving mode.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not a stupid idea? [Smile] Good.

I think if we do it we should set a deadline to send messages to be included, and then I'll e-mail to let everyone who's e-mailed me saying they wanted to send a gift or card know when the package has been sent and it should be safe to send gifts and cards. She's, like, 35 weeks or something now, so it would have to be pretty soon. (I also have an idea what she has and doesn't have/needs, so if anyone wants to know, I can clue you in on that, too.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me in. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
We are in.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Cool, guys. [Cool]

Updated information in first post.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Also, if you know someone who is not on Hatrack much but might like to participate, feel free to tell them about it, so we can do it in a timely manner but include as many people who would like to be included as possible.)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's OK with her to give out her address? Is there a way to find out without letting the cat out of the bag? Maybe you could ask Mr. Boon.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great, with the caveat Tante just made.

I will do both, if that ends up okay with the family. (But definitely the email)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in!
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tante, yes, I covertly checked with her. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Of course, she expects me to make sure I trust anyone I give out the address to. So if one of those free pr0n people asks for it I'm not to. You don't sell free pr0n, do you?)
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I got the gift!!!! Email coming soon.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Very cool. [Smile]

I would encourage anyone sending a gift to also do the e-mail. I would love to have a nice big stack of e-mails for her to read as soon as she gets the package.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Just to clarify, since I've gotten a few e-mails mentioning it: if you can't afford/don't wish to send a gift, you are still entirely welcome to participate by sending an e-mail. I think, in fact, that the messages of love and support and congratulations are the most important part of this. So the more the merrier, please, please don't feel bad if all you can do is send an e-mail. Trust me, that is just as important as, if not more important than, physical gifts.)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
You don't sell free pr0n, do you?

Of course not. I distribute it for free. Duh. Plus shipping and handling. Depending on how much handling you want, that can add up.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*steps away from Tante, carefully*

Unclean!

CT, help me!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So, all you creative people, help me and my pregnant brain come up with some new ideas here. I'm trying to think of things to send in the box for them to have a little party at home, treats and games and such. The problem is that most of my normal shower things don't translate well to "send in the mail for the whole family to enjoy." I was thinking of sending these filled with little bags of some kind of treaty candy-- I think TJ's has some pretty pastel things-- and maybe a sheet where they can all write (or have written, in Boo's case) the day they think the baby will come (I figured just one factor, the date, makes it simple enough for even the three-year-old to participate in) and a little prize box to open when the baby comes with first, second, third, fourth and fifth prizes (so no one has a fit or feels left out) with first prize being a slightly larger candy bar, and the others being slightly smaller, or something like that... But there, my mind goes blank. I don't know what else to put in that would ship well... I thought of some kind of munchy appetizers, but what wouldn't go bad or smash in the mail? Or should I send some non-perishables for a simple, easy to prepare, but tasty supper? Please, help me! I'm usually so good with party planning, but this is throwing me for a loop the past day or so.

I've already got all the gifts ready to go-- I went shopping in my baby shower closet, where I keep all the great gift bargains I stock up on through the year-- to make a cute little gift bag with, but I'd really like to include at least one more game or activity, and some more nice treats/food. What say you all?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I had a really good idea about this this morning while I was half-asleep, but didn't write it down. And now I can't remember. [Grumble]

Or maybe it only seemed good...

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh -- I'll send an e-mail right away to you, KQ. And I'd like to send a gift, so if you could EM me the address, that'd be fun, too!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I got the Hatrack presents and the presents from Emma and Bridget wrapped up and ready to go. I've made the Hatrack "card"-- a card taped on a notebook, to be filled with sheet protectors full of all your e-mails. I've got our card written and signed, now I'm just waiting on recieving my present (I ordered it on eBay) and getting everyone's e-mails, and printing them up! I'm also still looking for ideas/input on what kind of snacks/treats to send. Anyone?

*goes off to check the special e-mail*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Alright, everyone who's e-mailed to ask for an address (and you too, Shan) has got her address. And thank you to those who have sent messages so far, I'm more excited about that than any other part of this project!
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
This is fun!
What a great idea, KQ! Thanks for taking the lead! [Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent an e-mail for Boon.

(((KQ)))

Such a nice thing you're doing!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, you are awesome!

Sending e-mail to Boon right now.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we were emailing ketchupqueen and she was printing them out/forwarding them at the right time?
[Confused]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Right, Morbo, they're all sending messages to the special address listed in the first post, so I can print them out tomorrow and get it ready to go by Tue. (hopefully!) She just worded it as "e-mail to Boon", but she sent it to the right place. She didn't spoil our surprise. [Wink]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and thanks to those who have sent e-mails today. [Smile] They are much appreciated.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an email.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks, imogen! I'll go make sure I got it!
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry. My mistake in saying "e-mail to Boon". What I really meant was "sending e-mail to KQ for Boon". Well, I guess it doesn't matter because it worked out right. Sorry for the confusion, Morbo. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

breyer, just e-mail your request to that address-- I have all the information in a file at that address ready to copy-paste into reply e-mails. [Smile] Thanks!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wait, what happened? [Confused]
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
email sent.

And this is extraordinarily kind of you KQ. [Smile]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Wait, what happened? [Confused]

I dunno. What happened?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, I think I'm just missing a post. I was tired last night.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just sent one.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks, Belle!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So*, I'm hoping tonight to make it over to my dad's to use his printer (we don't have a working one right now.)

Which would mean probably about 8 or 9 Pacific time would be the cut off for e-mails.

I know some people who wanted to send one haven't gotten a chance yet.

I was thinking if you miss the deadline to make it into the package, I'll still be happy to send along your messages that come within the next week or so-- I'll just send extra pages and sheet protectors for her to add as they come along. Would that be fair to those who wanted to be included but have intermittent internet access, etc.?

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just emailed twice.
I hope I made the deadline.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We haven't left yet, and we're going to the grocery store and then possibly out to dinner before I hit my dad's house. So yeah, you've made the deadline. [Smile]

I'm hoping rivka and Kwea and others who posted but haven't e-mailed see this before I get to my dad's-- you probably still have a few hours from the time I'm writing this.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

KPC just decided we're going to buy a new printer instead.

So I'm extending the deadline to noon tomorrow. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the reprieve... I'll try to get something out tomorrow AM.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank KPC, who decided to spend his Christmas money on a new printer. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And our apartment, which is a block from the post office, and Emma's preschool for starting again tomorrow, which means I only have to haul one kid to the p.o., and our Radio Flyer wagon, which means I can fit a kid in one side and a box in the other without having to chase a toddler out of the street or figure out how to carry a large package a block while pushing a stroller. [Wink] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, I've got all the e-mails sent so far printed out and in the notebook. This is one heck of a baby shower group card, folks! She's gonna love it! All those well-wishes stack up, and it looks really great to see how many people sent her notes of love. Thanks so much, and I will print any more that come right up to the last minute I have to pack the package and take it to the post office!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an email, albeit brief. I will send something non-gender-specific via post as well.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thank you to all who sent e-mails! Bridget is technically still asleep, so if you send an e-mail in the next few minutes it will technically still be included...

CT, that's so sweet of you. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Package is out, and should get there by Thurs., Fri. at the latest.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.