FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » " 'High School Musical' is unlike anything. No one can fully understand."

Author Topic: " 'High School Musical' is unlike anything. No one can fully understand."
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Zac Efron talks about the third, final 'High School Musical" movie.

...so, how many months before Disney greenlights and starts casting High School Musical: The Next Generation? Despite the rather epic description Zac gives of the "legacy we leave on East High", I doubt Disney will let go of their most lucrative tween brand -that- easily. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to East High. I left a legacy of slouching around and reading paperback novels in class instead of participating and playing Rifts in the library at lunch time.

Disney should make a musical of that.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Oddly enough, Disney has the option to make a Rifts movie. [Angst]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I'll never give up the rights to slouching around.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
TL! You fight for those rights! Never let the Man bring you down!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Next will be Middle School Musical, followed by Elementary School Musical and finally Pre-School Musical.

I would rather drill a hole in my head than watch them but my girls like them and they are pretty wholesome. I don't have to worry about them sneaking bad words into the movie and my girls aren't going to learn about teen pregnancy or anything so I just grin and put in ear plugs.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
TL! You fight for those rights! Never let the Man bring you down!
Thank you for your support, Evie.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Resist them by lip-synching a bubble gum pop tune! We're ALL in this TOGETHER! o/` [Party]
brojack17
Member # 9189

Can you fight for the right to slouch? Sounds contradictory.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The only things I know about this series of movies is that they're popular, the girl had a scandal, and the guy played Young Simon in "Firefly."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The only thing tweens seem to like more is this "Hannah Montanna" chick.

Miley Cyrus' fans are CRAZED for the exclusive "concert movie".

brojack17
Member # 9189

The acting is hoooorrible in Hannah Montanna, but I didn't expect any more. Again though, it's clean.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the guy played Young Simon in "Firefly."
Really?!?! Woah! I'm going to have difficulty watching the series again.

But I guess we're all set if they do a "Firefly: The Early Years" musical.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... Disney has the option for a Rifts movie and nobody else thinks that sounds insane!?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different Rifts than you. The bizarre, violent Role Playing Game set in a post-apocalyptic future? Filled with mutant characters and magic using characters and demon-worshipping characters and drug-using characters and insane characters? How could this possibly make a Disney movie?

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Remember how Disney's big summer hit of 2007 featured a tentacle-faced humanoid impaling a man's head from the inside-out?

Yeah.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember that.

But Rifts seems worlds more horrifying and inappropriate than any of the Pirates movies. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hmm, on reflection, the Rifts world is so choked bizarre features, it would be very easy to edit out the more inappropriate ones. No people who improve their combat prowess by taking ludicrous amounts of intravenous drugs, for instance.

It still strikes me as odd, but I guess I can swallow the possibility of a Disney Rifts movie.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Zac Efron talks about the third, final 'High School Musical" movie.

...so, how many months before Disney greenlights and starts casting High School Musical: The Next Generation? Despite the rather epic description Zac gives of the "legacy we leave on East High", I doubt Disney will let go of their most lucrative tween brand -that- easily. [Smile]

Are you kidding me? They'll drive this one until it runs out of gas! I went to the Greensboro Coliseum last year with my daughter and her friends. I've never experienced anything quite like this crazy love they have going on for High School Musical. It wasn't the best because Zac wasn't there, but Corbin Bleu more than made up for it. At least that's what the girls said.

I had a headache after the concert.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is going to be the farewell to the East High Wildcats for a while. Senior year, graduation, this movie is the climax, it’s the third act, this is the legacy that we leave on East High
Maybe I'm just used to Shakespeare, but when I hear "it's the third act" I expect two more.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:
Maybe I'm just used to Shakespeare, but when I hear "it's the third act" I expect two more.

I would assume that Zac is referring to the first two HSM movies as the other "acts". [Smile]
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:

Hmm, on reflection, the Rifts world is so choked bizarre features, it would be very easy to edit out the more inappropriate ones. No people who improve their combat prowess by taking ludicrous amounts of intravenous drugs, for instance.

It still strikes me as odd, but I guess I can swallow the possibility of a Disney Rifts movie.

Also remember that Disney has established several more adult-oriented labels for their non-family friendly fare. Like Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, etc. If they decide to make a Rifts movie, they could easily release it under one of those.
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
The only things I know about this series of movies is that they're popular, the girl had a scandal, and the guy played Young Simon in "Firefly."

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I'm not sure how I feel about this. My nieces have absolutely killed any desire to watch this, but I now have respect for the main character.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a bit part from when he was younger. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in it.

High School Musical is absolutely perfectly targeted. The songs are catchy (I've seen it, and though I loathe the actual lyrics, they stuck in my head for days afterwards), and utterly devoid of any kind of, what's it called...quality. So kids love it, and force their parents to pay for all different sorts of format for it, and it works perfectly.

The singing ain't half bad though, I'll give them credit for that. As a musical, I'd say it's mediocre, and if the lyrics were better I'd probably give it a lot more credit, but it's not completely devoid of talent.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
This film is of limited appeal to me.

Just about the best musical set in (and around) a high school has to be Hairspray...

* The original John Waters version, not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the remake.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MidnightBlue:

I would assume that Zac is referring to the first two HSM movies as the other "acts". [Smile]
And Shakespeare's plays have 5 acts. Thus the "two more". [Smile]
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Just about the best musical set in (and around) a high school has to be Hairspray...

It has to be Grease for me.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:

Zac said the HSM franchise was equivalent to a Shakespeare play in structure?

Wow, he's out of it. [Smile]

Darth Petra
Member # 11464

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I wouldn't want to leave that sort of legacy. REally, those movies are total crap.

I'm expecting "College Musical" some time soon. And if Zac thinks that it's equivilent to Shakespere, he'd got issues.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:

Zac said the HSM franchise was equivalent to a Shakespeare play in structure?

Wow, he's out of it. [Smile]

No, he didn't, he just referred to the third HSM as the third act. One of the more common formats for plays (in particular, the format Shakespeare uses) is the five act play. That's what came into my mind when he made the comment.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I went to that East High also, if it's really the one in Salt Lake. Well, just for my senior year. It was before the reconstruction, but I thought I recognized it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Yeah, it's the one in Salt Lake.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
TL, you stand up for your right to slouch...or not.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.