FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wanna make a game to cure cancer?

Author Topic: Wanna make a game to cure cancer?
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I stumbled across this...

http://www.letschangethegame.org/

quote:
Let’s Change the Game is a competition to design an ARG (alternate reality game) to help the work of Cancer Research UK. The winning designers will receive funding to develop and run their game, and will be mentored by some of the best ARG designers in the world. Entry is open to anyone who wants to enter.

.../...

Let's Change the Game is a competition to find the best idea for an Alternate Reality Game (ARG) that will raise money for Cancer Research UK. The winning team will be awarded £1300 ($2600) to develop the game together with top game designers and Cancer Research UK.

Plus, if the game is selected, you get access to all available resources, such as direct marketing to 20 million people, live events, store advertising, etc... Heck, they even give you an island in Second Life.

I've always wanted to write some sort of game, be it a video game or an "ARG", but I admit I never really had all the creative and storyline abilities necessary for that sort of thing. But someone 'round here might.

The message that I found regarding this is relatively old (October '07), and the forums on there don't have much activity, so I've sent messages to the creators of this venture to see if this is still going on and how much of a response they've gotten so far. Maybe there's hope still.

So, what do you all think?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What is an alternate reality game?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
D'OH! We're too late...

quote:
Hi David,

LCTG is still going on, although we have selected the winning team for
this year now. We had ten serious entries, and we shortlisted four
teams, who each developed some very detailed proposals. There was
certainly a lot of interest, and I was pretty pleased by the response,
given that a lot of people were self-selected out what with the work
involved.

The co-ordinator of the winning team, Guy Parsons, is on the lookout
for people to help with the game development, and I'm sure he'd
appreciate all the help he can get. I can pass on his details if you'd
like.

As for your question, pooka, I'll try to find an appropriate page to describe it properly. I've had a lot of people asking me that as of late. [Smile]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia article on ARGs

History of ARGs on Unfiction (a site devoted to ARGs)

Nighthawk, if you don't yet read Unforums, I highly recommend you do. Great site with lots of informative people who are passionate about ARGing.

What ARGs have you played? I played Perplex City, and was briefly involved with World Without Oil. I haven't been following ARG news lately, but I'd be interested in playing another one, especially if it's just starting. Hard to jump in once a game has been going for a while.

edit: Oh, and I read Cathy's Book, but I haven't yet delved into the ARG aspects of it other than examining the goodies that came with it and making some notes.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.