FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just discovered a really good new author!

Author Topic: I just discovered a really good new author!
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
And I had to share. I love it when this happens.

Her name is Martine Leavitt, though I believe she published several books under Martine Bates. She writes these weird, haunting books for young adults, and maybe it's because I've been reading a lot of crap lately, but I am completely in love with her stuff. Unfortunately I have only been able to get hold of three of her books, but I am asking for the others for my birthday!

Heck Superhero was the least good of the three I've read so far, though it wasn't bad by any means. It's about a young boy whose mother goes sort of AWOL, and he's trying to track her down and he has a very rich sort of superhero fantasy life with rules he has to follow if he wants to get her back. Quite good.

But. Not as good as the other two:

I read Keturah and Lord Death first; it's the one that other people seem to have read. Keturah goes out of her village into the forest and dies there, but she strikes a bargain with Death: If she can find her true love by the end of the next day, she doesn't have to die. I was so impressed with this book, and how Ms. Leavitt manages to make it so haunting and still so light-hearted and charming.

Then yesterday I read The Dollmage, which is harder to describe but actually I may have liked it even better. Basically a woman is telling the story of a girl's life before she gets stoned to death for breaking an unspecified promise. It's mighty good.

These last two are both told a bit like fairy-tales, so if you're not a fairy tale fan, you might not like them. But I am as happy as a clam. I haven't found a new author that I adore since Salman Rushdie.

Anyone else heard of this author?

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Salman Rushdie? Sure I have.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Keturah and Lord Death is a very nice book.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.