FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kentucky Derby - I feel sick :(

Author Topic: Kentucky Derby - I feel sick :(
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody watch it? A beautiful filly, Eight Belles, fought hard to finish second to the race favorite, Big Brown.

Then, apparently after the race was over, she fell and fractured both front ankles and was euthanized on the track. My youngest daughter was in tears.

I really, really don't think I will ever watch horse racing again. This, after the Barbaro thing - I just don't think I ever want to see another race.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
On the track?
Dang, that's sad.
Poor horse.
Do they have to kill them if they hurt themselves?
Is there any other way?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

They interviewed one of the track vets - he said this was an injury she could never recover from - it was two compound fractures - and that it was extremely painful. Euthanizing her as soon as possible was the best thing to do.

Then they kept running replays of the race being won - with her finishing second, and all the while I kept thinking - that horse is DEAD, and they just keep talking about the winner...it just upset me. I didn't want to keep watching but my daughter was so upset she wanted to keep watching in case they said anything more about the filly, which they never did except a few perfunctory remarks. I had to turn it off.

I do believe I'm completely off horse racing forever. [Frown]

Article on race

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, that's awful.

I always follow the Kentucky Derby. I have an older buddy that has been giving me a glass each year that he goes.

I'm so very sad to hear this.

I've been at work all day and I'm trying to catch up on news, this is definitely bad news.

[Frown]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
So, wait...

The horse Hillary picked to win comes in second, gets hurt, and has to be put down.

Meanwhile, the frontrunner, "Big Brown" wins the race.

Was this scripted?

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, nice, Fusiachi. My dad (a veterinarian (for small animals but he had to study large animals in school)) has said that breaking a leg is so detrimental for horses that the most humane thing to do in such an extreme injury is to euthanize the horse.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear that. I didn't even realize that today was Derby day.

Nothing more exciting than a horse race, and those horses just love to race and to win. But it's sad that Thoroughbreds are so fragile, really, and then are driven so that those weaknesses are exploited. :-(

Has anyone read In the Presence of Horses?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Breaking two legs is impossible to fix. One can be done for certain injuries.

A 17 (that's 74 inches at the shoulders) hand 3 year old horse of any breed should have not been ridden before last October or so, no races until around February. At least that's the oppinion of many trainers who are objecting, but also know what they are talking about. It's too much stress on their young bones.

I didn't cry and will continue watching racing. I also will continue riding and hoping to own a horse. If I ever do own a horse I will be emotionally involved but I will also realize that my horse is mortal and delicate.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to ask the obvious question: how exactly do they do that on the track?

Is it a "lethal injection" approach, or is there something more... well... direct?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
A needle.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
"I went hunting once. Shot a deer in the leg. Had to beat it to death with a shovel, took about an hour." -- Michael Scott from the Office

Sorry couldn't resist.

But yeah- that really saddens me. Race horsing is actually quite a depressing sport if you think about it.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what they did, Nighthawk. It can be either a needle or a gun. It depends if the vet was there fast enough. I hope it was lethal injection.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, now I'm glad we didn't turn on the race after all. I don't know that I could have handled that, much less my kids.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I never did like horse racing. Can't see the point, really.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was quite young I used to think horse racing was incredible and that showhorses/dressage was, well, "sissy." Now, after being in a serious relationship with a girl who does dressage professionally and seeing her emotional attachment to the horse, as well as witnessing the injuries in racing...well, let's just say I almost wish all horses just did shows and minimally dangerous activities. They're such beautiful things, and the thought of one having to be put down makes me really sad.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I'm not sure what they did, Nighthawk. It can be either a needle or a gun. It depends if the vet was there fast enough. I hope it was lethal injection.

That's why I ask. In a back country farm you might use a double-barreled shotgun, but on the track at Churchill Downs I wondered how discrete they were about it.

*EDIT*
"...euthanized by injection."

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad had a horse euthanized and I watched the procedure. Big needle, massive dose (I bet that vet is very careful to keep it pointed away from himself in case the horse flails)....and it's over very, very quickly.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

PETA requests that Eight Belles jockey Gabriel Saez be suspended

quote:
"What we really want to know, did he feel anything along the way?" PETA spokeswoman Kathy Guillermo said. "If he didn't then we can probably blame the fact that they're allowed to whip the horses mercilessly."
So now they're blaming the whippings for this.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
PETA requests that Eight Belles jockey Gabriel Saez be suspended

quote:
"What we really want to know, did he feel anything along the way?" PETA spokeswoman Kathy Guillermo said. "If he didn't then we can probably blame the fact that they're allowed to whip the horses mercilessly."
So now they're blaming the whippings for this.
This is probably the most blatant example of spin I have ever seen.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I watched the replay over and over again - she was running fine and strong at the end. He says that he heard "a pop" and tried immediately to pull her up, but couldn't get her stopped. Once he heard something, it was too late, more than likely.

He was galloping her out after her run - horses can't stop from that speed on a dime, galloping her out is the safest way to slow her - this was just a freak accident.

To quote the title of this thread - PETA makes me sick, when they do stuff like this. [Mad]

I mean, sure I don't mind looking into horse racing and seeing if things like artificial turf might make things safer for the horses, but blaming the jockey? That's uncalled for here.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this was just a freak accident
I think it's a natural consequence of breeding horses whose muscles are stronger than their bones.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

There's a point to that, Tom. I'm not going to argue that.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

And racing horses from families with known soundness issues for five races with no break.

From the first replay I saw I would have been willing to believe that he pulled her up too fast. Now I'm not so sure.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
this was just a freak accident
I think it's a natural consequence of breeding horses whose muscles are stronger than their bones.
Also a natural consequence of putting weight on those bones before they've finished growing.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Mel, I love that you read Fugly!
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
One columnist's take on it:

quote:
There is no turning away from this fact: Eight Belles killed herself finishing second. She ran with the heart of a locomotive, on champagne-glass ankles for the pleasure of the crowd, the sheiks, oilmen, entrepreneurs, old money from the thousand-acre farms, the handicappers, men in bad sport coats with crumpled sheets full of betting hieroglyphics, the julep-swillers and the ladies in hats the size of boats, and the rest of the people who make up thoroughbred racing. There was no mistaking this fact, too, as she made her stretch run, and the apologists will use it to defend the sport in the coming days: She ran to please herself.

But thoroughbred racing is in a moral crisis, and everyone now knows it. Twice since 2006, magnificent animals have suffered catastrophic injuries on live television in Triple Crown races, and there is no explaining that away. Horses are being over-bred and over-raced, until their bodies cannot support their own ambitions, or those of the humans who race them. Barbaro and Eight Belles merely are the most famous horses who have fatally injured themselves. On Friday, a colt named Chelokee, trained by Barbaro's trainer Michael Matz, dislocated an ankle during an undercard for the Kentucky Oaks and was given a 50 percent chance of survival.

According to several estimates, there are 1.5 career-ending breakdowns for every 1,000 racing starts in the United States. That's an average of two per day.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame that it happened, but once again (and sadly, it's getting to the point that one could as easily say "as usual") PETA is way out of line- and pretty clearly going for the high-visibility case to make publicity for themselves.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Mel, I love that you read Fugly!

[Big Grin]

It's my vicarious horse experience. Now if only I could find a good dog blog that updates even half as often.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, a dog blog of that caliber would make my life so much better.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.