FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do you believe what you believe? (was: Your spiritual journey)

Author Topic: Why do you believe what you believe? (was: Your spiritual journey)
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit to change topic title, mainly because I am not in love with the phrase "spiritual journey". [Smile]

Disclaimer: I'm very nervous asking this and don't know whether it's too nosy and invasive.

Basically, today I went looking for a big anthology of spiritual autobiography, and I couldn't find one at my local library. It made me sad because I really, really wanted to read some stories about how people got to where they are spiritually: whether they came into a religion, or left one, grew to believe in God or grew out of it.

So I was thinking of starting a website, where people could email me stories about their spiritual journeys and I could post them - anonymously or with names, depending on what they wanted. And before I did that, I wanted to ask a thoughtful, intelligent cross-section internet (that's you, Hatrack!) what it thought of this plan. Is this something that would only be interesting to me? More importantly, since I know these things can be very personal, is this something that other people would be willing to do?

Thoughts?

[ May 06, 2008, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Fyfe ]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I would e-mail you a story about why I'm an atheist, but not necessarily with my name attached. Not that quickly anyway.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I discuss my beliefs on a number of websites - I don't think there's any reason to think people wouldn't be happy to share their beliefs on yours.

Be ready for lots of friction and aggressive stories and responses though.

My guess is that you'll receive somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 thoughtful, intelligent stories, and the rest diatribes, angry rants, witch hunts, and the like. If you can handle that much junk, go to it [Smile]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd send you mine. With name attached.

I think it'd be an interesting idea. I think MightyCow is right though- people would get incredibly defensive- especially since it's their story.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

Hm. Okay. I think I will give it a go. I always want to know what people think.

Why You Believe (or don't)

Email me at storiesaboutgod@gmail.com. I will be a posting fiend.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be willing to email you my story. But I think you should start with your own. [Smile]
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
My guess is that you'll receive somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 thoughtful, intelligent stories, and the rest diatribes, angry rants, witch hunts, and the like.

I suspect that even this is optimistic. That said, if you can moderate in a fair and patient manner, this could turn into a pretty interesting site.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I also can't stand the term "spiritual journey." [Smile]

But it's a good idea. And I definitely think you should prime the pump by starting with your own.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I'm on it. [Smile]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably paste over my most recent landmark. But my... er... soul trek?... looks different depending on the angle it's viewed from. Kind of like that feel good story about the three blind men describing the elephant.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this idea. I've been meaning to put my beliefs down on paper for a while now. I'll try and get it to you soon. [Smile]
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.