FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Joker Begins (TDK non-spoiler version)

Author Topic: The Joker Begins (TDK non-spoiler version)
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I got tickets to the Imax advance screening of The Joker Begins tonight. I went in with pretty high expectations overall, despite a few details in some of the trailers that looked a little dumb. However, this is such an amazingly good movie that even with the buzz and high expectations, I was totally blown away. This is the Joker movie that we have always wanted and can cherish forever. Oh, and also Batman is in it, as something of a supporting character. There is talk of Heath Ledger getting an Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor. The question is not whether or not he deserves an oscar, the question is shouldn't it be Best Actor? Supporting Actor is for supporting characters, and this movie is really about the Joker.

Seeing it in Imax was eye-poppingly huge for the action sequences and soaring between skyscrapers. I was a little surprised, considering how the tickets were distributed through their viral marketting channels, that I didn't see anyone at the screening with their smiles on. I didn't myself, mainly because the makeup doesn't really work with my beard, but I went in a classy purple and green ensemble (you have to show your team colors) and I was the most dressed-up geek there. Very nice theater, though. I intend to go back for other films.

Back to the movie though, without giving anything away. All the supporting cast members who were so good in Batman Begins, like Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, are back and are still great. And everyone whose acting sucked in the first one was replaced by Maggie Gyllenhaal. The story has thematic elements similar to Alan Moore's The Killing Joke, though the actual plot is not that similar. It has twists and turns and surprises. It has laughs and scares and huge action sequences. It manages to make an explosion hilarious.

You will love the magic trick the Joker offers to show you.

There were elements in some of the trailers that I had my doubts about, but was surprised to see them all work remarkably well. I thought the bat-pod looked stupid and didn't have much point - but it actually makes sense in context and does some really cool stuff. Other things that seemed like over-the-top action sequences for their own sake fit in quite well and have a reason.

So should you go? The only people I would caution against seeing this one are those who don't like dark films, because it does go dark. They keep most of the blood off-camera for the rating, but there is violence here and innocent people die. People are asked to make choices that are horrible and there are scenes that you may find uncomfortable to watch. They do a pretty good job of keeping you guessing. This is not a "safe" movie like some comic book films are. But this is truly a great film, and the ride is worth the dark tunnel it goes through.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
He's lying, folks! See Space Chimps instead! It'll totally rock! Chimpanzees...IN SPACE! By the guys who made "Valiant" and "Happily N'Ever After"! Aren't we all burnt out on super-hero films this summer? Besides, Batman is a DC character! DC sux, Marvel R00lZ!

...you're not buying this, are you?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Well, I do like chimps. And I'm at least neutral-feeling toward space. So maybe...

Oh wait, no. A Batman movie that actually does justice to the Joker and the relationship between Batman and Joker is, dare I say it, even better than chimps in space.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
But hey, if the chimps were on a plane, we'd be all over it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Oh, and a special trailer note for Mr. Treat: At the Imax advance screening there was only one trailer and one incredibly short teaser. The teaser was like a 10-second ad saying that the next Harry Potter movie has "some scenes shot in Imax" and the trailer was for Watchmen.

Watchmen looks awesome. I still have doubts over whether that story can be effectively fit into a movie, but it'll be worth going to for the visuals if nothing else. You do get to see Dr Manhattan, and the omnipotent blue nudist (yep, he was nude) actually works on screen remarkably well. They gave his skin a bit more texture in the glow than the flat blue of the comics. You also get to hear Rorschach's voice in one part, and he sounds good.

--Enigmatic

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you recommend Imax over regular? I gather you haven't seen it regularly, but would you imagine it be a big enough difference to go out of your way to see it in Imax?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
It is very much a big screen movie. As far as non-IMAX specific movies go, I would say it's the type that most benefits from being seen on the bigger screen vs. a regular movie screen. I would see it on as big a screen as you can without delaying too much when you see it, because you want to go see it right now.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

There's midnight showings tonight, people.

Just sayin'.

--Enigmatic

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm going to be at one... Just a few more hours!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Goin' tonight.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.