FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NOOOOOOO!!! I/O Error

Author Topic: NOOOOOOO!!! I/O Error
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that whatever I did to injure my hard drive when I was installing a top of the line CPU fan and gave it a terminal cancer has finally run its course and wrecked my main data drive with all of my movies and 11 seasons of Top Gear, I think I'm going to cry.

Any ideas of how to recover my data? Right now explorer sorta complains when I try to access anything in there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a Mac. [Wink]

That or stop tinkering with your hardware. I'd chalk it up to lessons learned.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well I overclock my cpu from 3.o Ghz to 3.4 and that required a new fan.

It was a pain I tell ye to install it I think I pluged in my hard drives into the MOBO with the SATA cables in the wrong order, which is odd as I was under the impression there wasn't an order it would automatically detect and adapt.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Uh, this is like saying, "Omg, I crashed my car," and then explaining that you were trying to find a way to drive 120 mph in a Jetta. It doesn't inspire sympathy.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm not looking for sympathy or imaginary Computer Brands I;m looking for solutions.

I need my Top Gear, girls dig people who know cars.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, now it's like saying that you don't care about the car, but the things is the tow-truck is coming, and you need someone to help get at the 12 kilos of uncut Columbian coke in the trunk. You could always re-illegally-download Top Gear.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew as soon as I saw this title that this was a Blayne thread.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you certain that it's the drives that are wrecked?

You might try plugging one of them into an external drive enclosure and see if they can be accessed on a different computer. One thought.

And I have to say 3.0 to 3.4 may be a little much.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Yeah but I only got 100 GB of bandwidth dl/ul, this is like fresh water! Must be conserved.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

Oh, so that's why they all just want to be friends... [Frown]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Supreme Commander is a very CPU intensive game, since I opted for a DUO rather then a QUAD my computer is not quite as efficient with it as I would like, the only free solution is overclocking to compensate.

As for why i went for a DUO, a 3.0 DUO is faster for 99% of programs out there then a 2.66 QUAD because of its faster clock speed, few few FEW games are optimized for QUAD core and significantly more for DUO. Although in hindsight I could have overlocked the QUAD to 3.2 and gotten the same results and be better with Supreme Commander AI wise. But once I have a stable income I will consider it for another day.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
quote:

Oh, so that's why they all just want to be friends... [Frown]
Chicks dig guys who own cars. Knowing cars is about as good as knowing acting when comparing yourself to Brad Pitt.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just awful. There's nothing worse than losing a hard drive. Luckily, I backed up my last one (all the important stuff) before it croaked.

It sounds like you know just enough about computers to completely screw your system...but not enough to actually pull off the advanced configurations.

I'm curious, how much money have you invested in gaming in the past year? Do you still think the risk/benefit ratio of overclocking was in your favor?

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Supreme Commander is a very CPU intensive game, since I opted for a DUO rather then a QUAD my computer is not quite as efficient with it as I would like, the only free solution is overclocking to compensate.

A free solution that didn't turn out to be free... Blayne, this statement strikes me as symptomatic of your thinking in general.

That is: "if I have reasons for doing things, they should work out... and when they don't, this is not a consequence of my actions, but a failing on the part of the rest of the world and its workings."

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I have 3 Hard drives, my windows drive and my primary storage drives are fine, my secondary storage drive is whats giving me trouble.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh, well in that case, never mind what I said.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This, by the way, is yet another proof of the old maxim: you cannot back up your data too frequently.

(Note, by the way, that I'm incredibly uncertain that your hard drive is actually dead. Have you tried connecting it to something else?)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

What if you start backing up your data so much that your data becomes self-aware?

In a panic, you might try to pull the plug, but your Data might strike back. On August 29, 1997, your data might launch ICBMs against Russian counterparts, knowing that their nukes will be launched against us, precipitating WW3 and nuclear winter. But a band of humans might survive. Clawing and scratching an existence out of the scorched earth as they fight the machines for their very lives, they might, in an act of desperation, send one man back to change the past, and make sure your data was never copied in the first place.

Arriving in what appears to be an alien wasteland, your traveler might find that apes are the dominant species, dominating the mute human population, and believing that he is an abomination of nature, attempt to study him in a cage for several weeks in a MADHOUSE... A MAAADDHOUSE.

Soon, he may discover when he escapes the apes that the land he believed to be a wasteland is in fact the long decayed and dried shell of the city of New York, as evidenced by the shell of the Statue of Liberty along the beach. That in fact, he is home. That is was Earth, all the time... and he will realize: "TOM! YOU MANIAC!!!! YOU BACKED IT UP!!!! GOD. DAMN. YOU!!!"

All because you backed up TOO often.

Think about it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What if you start backing up your data so much that your data becomes self-aware?
Then there's something really wrong with your definition of "backup." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I would follow the recommendations of others and hook the hard drive up to a new computer and see if you can access it. One time some sectors on my hard drive got messed up and I couldn't boot my computer but I was able to get all the files off of it by hooking it up to my dad's computer.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my only issue that is a pain in the but, as I have to remove both video cards to get to the hard drives.

Its cramped in there.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Hmm, seems by merely rebooting i can access my files again.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
...really? Wow.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
...Didn't... Try... Rebooting... First?...

<strangled sound>

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made me lol.

[ROFL]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Because i was busy searching for a good hosting company.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to choose this time to back up any files you want to keep.

(Intermittent hardware failure might foreshadow total failure. Or you might need to upgrade your RAM.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I have 4 GB of DDR2-800 ram which i got this year.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Then there's something really wrong with your definition of "backup." [Smile]
And by the way, the government would like to "talk" to you about your "backup" procedures. Meet them tomorrow at 12.

In Guantanamo. Bring a bathing suit.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it! It's a trick! They want to steal your secrets!
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
Don't do it! It's a trick! They want to steal your secrets!

Pulease. The U.S. government would never imprison someone in Guantanamo and withhold their civil rights by denying them access to legal representation and violate the Geneva convention by torturing them for information, then establish a sham military tribunal in order to convict them of war crimes and keep the public from becoming aware of the government's untenable legal position...

Right?

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Hmm, seems by merely rebooting i can access my files again.

We should establish a point system on Hatrack similar to that of the DMV. You get one point for this thread. Now, you can choose to go to Hatrack school, or you can post more carefully in the future.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not looking for sympathy or imaginary Computer Brands I;m looking for solutions.

I agree with Orincoro, buy a Mac. [Smile]

As for girls digging guys who know cars, I'm still single and I'm a auto technician. I know more about cars then most enthusiasts.

I don't know if I buy that one. [Dont Know]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed that people are still surprised that Blayne didn't do the bare minimum in trying to fix his problems before trying to get someone else to do it for him.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed people listen to Blayne talk.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Blayne. It's not easy having a brain the size of a planet...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
Havenning Issues?

I loved that guy's comments on the "computer literate" illiterate.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.