FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with Garden Pests (Plaid!!)

Author Topic: Help with Garden Pests (Plaid!!)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've planted a varieity of vegetables (eggplant, ochra, tomatoes, chilli's, sweet potatoes, cabbage and probably some others). The plants are growing alright but I've got bug problems. Some of the plants are infested with aphids and unless I do something about them soon I'm afraid I will loose them entirely. And something else I haven't identified is eating the leaves on the sweet potatoes.

I don't want to use pesticides so I'm looking for something natural that will help control these pests. Introducing predator insects isn't really an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Snow is doing a pretty good job of killing insects here
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it still legal / environmentally acceptable to buy a box of Lady Bugs?

Sure they fly off fairly quick, but they usually enjoy the buffet you release them next to before doing so.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get a couple of chickens? As long as they're lightly stocked and things aren't fruiting yet, they'll generally prefer to eat bugs rather than the leaves, although they will eat some leaves. Also, the plants need to be big enough that the chickens don't scratch them up when they go after bugs.

I don't think chickens will have much effect on aphids, but they should clean up grubs and grasshoppers and the like. You can remove them and sell them after they're done with the insects, if you don't want to keep chickens around full-time.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
WWW.Gardensgreen.com used to offer advice amongst the advertising.

If not, e-mail her saying your a friend of Dan Davis's. Tell her where you are located and what you are growing that is being attacked, and she may send you some suggestions.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I never used them here, bugs in the Great American Desert mostly need to carry canteens. But, when I lived in Utah, some neighbor kids had ducks that they rented out to home gardners. A couple of ducks for a couple of weeks made a big difference. They also ate pigweed and redroot! Inplanting marigolds will make a difference with many insects but not aphids. Depending on what you consider "natural" some insecticides are made with pythria, a "natural" plant extract.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Are your aphids down there the same varieties as we get up here? (you're still in like.. Costa Rica or somewhere, right?)

Have you tried using a garlic oil spray on the aphid problem areas?

We probably need to identify what is on your sweet potatoes for sure before giving advice.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
And here is a decent link: (maybe give you some other ideas)

http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html#Aphids:

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard garlic is good for aphids too. I've heard that lavender oil works for many other insects.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Trinidad and Tobago Organic Agricultural Movement (TTOAM)
P.O. Box 1229
Port-of-Spain
Tel: (868) 627-8217
Fax: (868) 623-0895
Email: ttoam@email.com

http://mittleidermethodgarden.blogspot.com/2007/08/mittleider-gardeners-in-trinidad.html

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemisia Tridentata:
Depending on what you consider "natural" some insecticides are made with pythria, a "natural" plant extract.

Look for the word pyrethrum on the bottle.

Also, insecticidal soaps are supposed to work on aphids (google it). I've found this method to be a lot of work requiring frequent reapplication; once I notice the aphids, the plant is weakened enough that they tend to take over till the damage is done. But I'm a lazy gardener. ;-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, chickens aren't allowed in either of the areas where I have my gardens. I could probably release ladybugs if I could find a local source for them (which I haven't). It would be highly illegal for me to import them to the island.

Garlic oil sounds like a good option.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
You can try organics but if you're dead set against the use of pesticides and there's already a significant pest problem you probably will just have to be prepared for the plants not making it. :/
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use a 50/50 mix of lemon juice and water. It won't kill the aphids, but applied daily should keep them away from the plants being affected.

I hear the same works with orange juice, but you have to make sure it's 100% orange juice. Never tried that one myself, though.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Aphids are harder to deal with once they're established... here in Virginia we've got enough ladybugs around to keep them under control. The only time they're a problem is in the greenhouse in the spring; as long as we catch them early enough, we can spray Safer Soap on them. (Soapy stuff, suffocates the aphids.)

If you can get ladybugs, ways of getting them to stick around = 1) release them just before sunset, so they'll settle down for the night; and 2) spray sugar water on the plants you want them to take care of -- the sugar water will smell like the sticky plant sap that aphids suck from the plants, and get the ladybugs' attention.

Is it a bug or an animal eating the sweet potatoes? A lot of animals like the leaves -- here in the US, deer and groundhogs definitely do...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had luck with soap on aphids. Works great on whitefly infestations though.

We had groundhogs eating our garden once. Planted radishes around the edga and marigolds around the radishes. Worked pretty well except where we accidentally left gaps.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.