FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Listen to your mother

Author Topic: Listen to your mother
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was 15 I had curfew of midnight that I didn't like. When I was out with my friends having fun, I didn't want to have to leave and go home so early.

Then one time something sad and ugly happened around 2am. It didn't involve me directly, it just upset me because I saw it. People were acting bad because they drank too much and the resulting scene was squalid and too personal and it was revolting and sad and I remember wishing I had never seen or known about it.

So then I was like, this is why my mom said she wanted me home by midnight. A light bulb went off, I guess, and I realized mom was sometimes right about this stuff.

Of course, she was wrong about things that had to do with who I am and who I should be. But I have to admit she was right about a whole lot of things to do with the way the world is.

If you could leave your future kids some wisdom about life or the world, what would it be?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously? Listen to your mother?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't drink at 2am when your fifteen? That seems more the problem than breaking a curfew.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then one time something sad and ugly happened around 2am. It didn't involve me directly, it just upset me because I saw it. People were acting bad because they drank too much and the resulting scene was squalid and too personal and it was revolting and sad and I remember wishing I had never seen or known about it.

So then I was like, this is why my mom said she wanted me home by midnight.

It's a good thing it didn't happen at 11PM, then, or you might never have had your epiphany.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point is that bad things don't happen before midnight. Pay attention, Tom.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Wisdom:

1) Don't say "I can't" until you've tried at least five times. Then say, "I need some help, please."

2) People like other people who like them. Enjoy everyone, even the kid with the funny smell.

3) Play with your brothers and sisters. You're going to be a family for a long, long time.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had a curfew, as I always came home, and was up in the morning the next day. My mother did not mind that for awhile most of my friends drank, as I personally had decided not to, and was always the designated driver. My younger siblings all had curfews however.

I guess the lesson for me would have been then that curfews are not always necessary.

Incidentally I did learn that when it comes to understanding girls I should have listened to my mom in high school as she understood them far better than my hormone fogged cranium.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
I think the point is that bad things don't happen before midnight. Pay attention, Tom.

I thought the point was "don't shoot light bulbs."
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much always listened to my parents.

They never gave me a curfew!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Question everything. Especially me.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Wear your seatbelt. Especially when you've been out drinking and the driver tells the one kid who wasn't drinking, "I'm fine." Because he really isn't.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Achilles:
Question everything. Especially me.

[Smile]

I *wish* I had added stipulations when I started out my parenting career...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I've thought about this -- if I could go back to my high school, and tell the kids three things?

Do your homework.

Become interested in learning a skill, and master it on your own.

Listen to your mom and dad.

That's all.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

2) People like other people who like them. Enjoy everyone, even the kid with the funny smell.

Also, this.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
My mother just made me give her a call to let her know that I'd be out all night, and might not be home at all.
The only real rule we had was "If you're drunk, call me and I'll give you a ride. Don't drive."

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Of course, she was wrong about things that had to do with who I am and who I should be. But I have to admit she was right about a whole lot of things to do with the way the world is.

Yeah, that basically sums up how I feel about my mom, at least most of the time. Not that she was always wrong about the who I am and should be stuff, but she wasn't right on either.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Incidentally I did learn that when it comes to understanding girls I should have listened to my mom in high school as she understood them far better than my hormone fogged cranium.

*snort* Told a guy friend once: It's no wonder we're so confusing; more often than not, we don't understand ourselves!

As far as advice goes, I like what JTK said.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you could leave your future kids some wisdom about life or the world, what would it be?
You're not going to listen to me. When you don't, I'll be here for you.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How about don't hang out with people who drink excessively after midnight. You didn't have common sense when you were young?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
She was young. Of course not.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I have always stayed away from people who will get me arrested or get me killed, wierd huh?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a young girl bemoaning having so many freckles, my mother assured me that they would go away when I grew up. She was wrong.

Of course, she was right about almost everything else so I've forgiven her that one mistake.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother's done a 180 on various opinions between the time I was a teenager and now. I think the only advice she would have given back then that she'd still stand by:

1) Education is a good thing, independent of the work you do.
2) Avoid all recreational drugs, including the legal ones.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was a young girl bemoaning having so many freckles, my mother assured me that they would go away when I grew up.
One of my ex-girlfriends always talked about how much she hated her freckles. But I always thought they made her even cuter.

I'm sure there's some sort of moral in there about finding someone who'll not only accept you for who you are but like you better because of it. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
When I was a young girl bemoaning having so many freckles, my mother assured me that they would go away when I grew up.
One of my ex-girlfriends always talked about how much she hated her freckles. But I always thought they made her even cuter.

I'm sure there's some sort of moral in there about finding someone who'll not only accept you for who you are but like you better because of it. [Smile]

I actually quite like my freckles now and so does my husband, but you can't expect that kind of perspective from a 10 year old who is being teased.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
When our Combo (thats Band for you youngsters) started to play regularly, Mom told me that if the porch light was on, I should still come home.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
Wear your seatbelt. Especially when you've been out drinking and the driver tells the one kid who wasn't drinking, "I'm fine." Because he really isn't.

How about, instead of caring about putting on a seatbelt, don't get in a car being driven by someone who has been drinking!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just quote Jim Valvano to my future kids:

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day."

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Care about something.
2. Know the difference between risks that will make your life better and risks that will make your life worse.
3. Don't hate people for any reason.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

These are great! I think I would add some maybe.

1. Don't let yourself envy other people's accomplishments. Celebrate with them.

2. Control your anger and put it to some good use. Never let your anger control you.

3. Suppressing bad emotions just makes them build up. Instead, just release them and let them go. Your bad feelings are probably blocking something wonderful that is waiting to get through to you.

4. Read a lot. You learn a lot that way.

5. Appreciate everyone. There isn't a single person on earth that you can't learn something from. (In LDS terms, realize that any random person you might meet today will someday be an exalted being before whom you, if you saw them that way now, would want to fall on your knees in awe.)

6. Enjoy simple things. Shared work. Shared jokes. Shared sorrow. Shared fun. Amateur singing no matter how bad, and playing instruments. Reading funny or interesting things to each other. Cooking good food together. Curling up for a nap in the sun. (Sometimes I think I'm part cat.) Listening to good music, and dancing your heart out. Sweating at the gym then swimming laps outside in the chilly evening. Wrapping up in towels and turning the heat on full blast in the car to thaw out afterward. Petting a purring cat. Watching the sky at every season and any time of day or night. Watching wildlife out your back window at home. So many pleasures attend our every moment, even the pleasure of drawing a deep satisfying breath of clean air, or drinking a cold glass of water when thirsty. Don't fail to notice them.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2. Control your anger and put it to some good use. Never let your anger control you.
This is what you tell your kid after you introduce him or her to Star Wars for the first time.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

'if you let your anger control you, your face gets all grey and wrinkly, but you can fire lightning, so what I'm telling you, son, is that I guess everything in life is a tradeoff'
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Advice

1. Don't drink and drive. Don't drive with someone who is drunk.

2. If I find drugs in your room, you will go to rehab. If it happens again, you will live in rehab/military school/whatever until you are an adult. I will not watch more of my family ruin their lives with drugs.

3. Read

4. Do your homework, even if it seems pointless. Straight A's go a long way towards going somewhere in life.

5. Play sports, even if you aren't good.

6. Enjoy yourself. Find something to look forward to every day.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

2. If I find drugs in your room, you will go to rehab. If it happens again, you will live in rehab/military school/whatever until you are an adult. I will not watch more of my family ruin their lives with drugs.

I understand not wanting it to ever happen to anyone in your family again, but is abandoning them really the way to make it better? Or is it just exacerbating the problems? Often, if people go to drugs, it's when they're trying to escape from other problems, and not always just because of the drugs themselves.

There's a thin line between tough love and tough.

quote:

For me it's been the same thing, only with my dad instead of my mom.

My dad is amazing.

My advice:

1)Live. Fully and beautifully.

2)Read. Listen. LEARN.

3)Listen to what those old geezers have to say; a lot of them know what they're talking about.

4)Now take what you've learned, go out, try it for yourself, and see what you find to be the truth.

5)Pass that on.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

I didn't say abandon. Just move them into an environment that can help them with their problem. It's not cutting off all contact, but I have no experience or plan to get people off an addiction.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I'd wait and see whether they were actually addicted before going to such lengths. Doing such a thing to prevent possible addiction seems a bit much to me. But I like your determination. (You don't have kids yet do you.)
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it's important that you're so concerned-many aren't.

But if your child recreationally smokes weed once or twice, I don't think it warrants military school for the rest of his childhood.

While your concern shows that you wouldn't be cruel enough to abandon your child as in not talking to them or disowning them, but it's nonetheless taking them away from their home and family and friends to put them in a frightening, alien place.

Rehab is a much more reasonable medium, although for the entirety of their childhood might be a tad extreme.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

Yeah, not yet... theory and practice are two different things.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ever put yourself in a position where you will regret not trying.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The thing is, they have to KNOW that you mean it. They have to be shown by their family that there's NOT any excuses. And that it's not just a minor peccadillo. Drug abuse is something you can't do when you live at my house. Period. That gets you kicked out.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Sean, exactly. If I don't show by my actions how much it matters, I'm teaching falsely.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I didn't read the posts immediately preceding mine, so it kind of looks like I was participating in that conversation, but I wasn't. I was listing something I would like to teach my children.

"Son, don't ever put yourself in a position where you will regret not trying."

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
Don't ever put yourself in a position where you will regret not trying.

Kinky.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Ah, I get you now, Sean. [Smile]
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Kicking a kid out of the house seems like a pretty serious first step. I can see getting there. I can't see starting there. (In case it's not obvious, I'm talking about myself, not anyone in particular in the thread.)

I think it's like this. If some random teenager happened to be living in my house and I found a stash of weed--yes, I'd kick her out. And because I'm a nice person, I'd try to find her some kind of rehab program or other place to live.

But we're not talking about a random teenager...we're talking about my child, grown up to be a teenager, with all of the history and love that implies. Love sometimes means making hard decisions, and if I suspected anything other than casual use, the hard decision very well might be rehab or some other residential program. But love also sometimes means something in between "it's not a problem" and "if you do this, you're out."

Of course, I think there *is* such a thing as casual use of alcohol and weed. I know some people participating in this thread probably don't. Under other circumstances--drugs that I think are inherently dangerous, like meth--my reaction and tolerance would be different.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Look at it this way: you might want to be sure the kid is ruining her life before you shortcut the process and ruin it for her.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.