FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » TV/Phone/Internet Service

Author Topic: TV/Phone/Internet Service
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how Comcast compares to Verizon FiOS?
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have a particular need for (edit: exceptional -- Comcast is already pretty darn fast) speed, Comcast's cable internet should be plenty sufficient. If they're about equal in price for you, though, even the low-end FiOS plan should be at least half-again realistic Comcast download speeds, and more than double upload.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth noting that Comcast is quite possibly the most-hated company in America. If you can avoid them, do so.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Comcast's service varies greatly by location.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I will amend my statement to say that if you live in one of those areas that is apparently well-served by Comcast but never fills out customer service surveys, by all means consider Comcast as a provider. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It's worth noting that Comcast is quite possibly the most-hated company in America. If you can avoid them, do so.

Amen. On Monday we're having them come out to our house for the fourth time in 2 weeks. It's just grand.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost free of the Comcast death grip thankfully. I hate the very thought of a usage cap. On one end of the spectrum we have Hulu with free online video. On the other end we have Comcast, where they want you to pay for cable TV to be able to access it's online video options. With the cap I fear they'll be able to limit usage of other video sites in favor of the ones it owns.

Edit to add my service just went down....again.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no probs with Comcast as an internet provider... as a TV provider they were extremely frustrating.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
We've always gotten excellent service with Verizon FiOS here in NoVa, and appreciate the boost in internet speed for all our various media uses. Of course, our other option is COX, so it's really no choice at all.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I got rid of my Comcast internet several years ago because of the frequent outages. I finally cut the cable connection last year when I found myself unemployed. I had the basic analog cable package which was mediocre at best (I didn't get most of the channels I wanted and no OnDemand), but being analog meant that I didn't have the constant pixelization that my father gets.

I read recently that the bundled services are the absolute WORST way to go. They lure you with a great introductory rate but get you to commit to a term that greatly exceeds that trial period, then when that trial period ends, your price shoots through the roof and you're stuck because you're under contract. The savings for those 3 or 6 months is never enough to balance out the huge difference for the rest of the term, so you end up paying way too much in the end than if you'd kept separate billings.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I once asked a Charter (similar enough to ComCast to be scarey)rep what the fees would be after the trial period was over. He replied, "I, um, don't know. But you'd be foolish not to get this three month rate that's less than you are paying now for just one of these services."

I replied, "Unless the fee after that three months is three times as much as I'm paying now."

He hung up.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
So the Comcast guy said he would be by between 2 and 5. 7 PM rolls around and he calls saying he'll be right over. 7:45 rolls around and I call him and chew him out. He say's he'll come by this morning when I get off work. We'll see.

Ahh... Comcast.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, the bundling doesn't necessarily lead to the long contract. I had bundled FiOS with no contract at all, and it was excellent. Had I not moved out of the area, I'd still have it.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.