FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Minecraft!

Author Topic: Minecraft!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
One word description: Awesome.

Followed by: Addictive.

Anyone wanna come onto my server? We're doing mp survival and actually doing the whole gathering to survive thing, I dont quite like the whole freeform thing.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to read Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Blayne.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Is MP survival finally fixed? We had a server going but got bored and quit from the lack of danger.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Uuuuuuuh considering I've died about 2 dozen times.........

I mean if your careful you won't die, but even doing things slightly risky outside will result in being blown up.

Now I certainly wish it becomes more challenging but for now its fairly challenging.

Want to join my friends server? We're doing the whole actually gathering stuff thing.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I dunno to cry or love the fact that Creepers/Ghosts/Boomers/Whatever their called can still scare the crap out of me.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read this article about Minecraft?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100929/01190911211/guy-building-a-working-yes-working-computer-inside-a-video-game.shtml

A guy is building a fully functional computer....In Minecraft. Freakin' brilliant.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet no matter how hard he works, he cannot construct a functional woman.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Dude that's totally uncalled for and crosses the line as unfunny even as a joke.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Yet no matter how hard he works, he cannot construct a functional woman.

That is probably the funniest thing I've read all day! [Smile]

Thank you for that!

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, that's a hilarious phrase.

Oh, Blayne? First, I'm pretty sure the joke wasn't about you, and second, as a single, geeky otaku, I find the joke hilarious. Take it as it was, a silly joke.

---

Anyway, apparently people are doing the same thing on Dwarf Fortress. Since I've played it, I realize the amount of time such a thing would take. I have too much of a life for such a thing to be feasible. However, awesome that people are able to make functional, simple computers... inside computers!

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I know it wasn't directed at me but it's a sore subject and one that I do not find amusing, cuts a little close as they say.

However I must point out that in theory a minecraft map can be as large as 1.8 times the surface area of earth, in theory you could get a fully functioning computer possibly to 2012 specs, it has advantages in minecraft a planet sized mechanical computer wouldnt have in real life.

1. No lightspeed barrier.
2. No Heat.
3. No need for maintanance or to worry about bugs, or defective parts.

Assuming one had a computer that could run a minecraft server of that size, i think you could create in minecraft graphics and AI woman.

Anyways me and my friends (or is it my friends and I?) have a server if anyone wants to join, 100% gathering, so theres no cheating and spawning 512 bricks.

email me if interested, everyone welcome. I'm working on a underwater rail system.

Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

- posted      Profile for Week-Dead Possum           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I know it wasn't directed at me but it's a sore subject and one that I do not find amusing, cuts a little close as they say.

I don't understand... you are sore about your own failed attempts to construct a functional woman?

This mostly reminds me of telling a joke like, "a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar," and having someone lunge over a table because his father is a rabbi. Unfortunately jokes that cut close can be even funnier- just maybe not for you. [Big Grin]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: People have been making quips about nerds and geeks being unable to get girlfriends or using technology to to fill that female niche since time immemorial. Just relax.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
So I bought this game to get in on the Alpha deal, and I'm having a ton of fun with it.

There are several introductory tutorials on YouTube, which I'd recommend to new players. Figuring out things like the crafting system on your on would be a huge pain.

Once you get past the initial learning curve (which took me maybe an hour) the possibilities really make themselves apparent. I've started building a small keep overlooking an ocean-side cliff. Even though I know I only have to worry about zombies and spiders, I keep thinking about things like defensibility, and controlling the nearby bay for shipping.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Week-Dead Possum:
This mostly reminds me of telling a joke like, "a priest and a rabbi walk into a bar," and having someone lunge over a table because his father is a rabbi.

Wait, wait. This reminds you of telling a joke like that? That's a story I'd like to hear.

As for Minecraft, it's pretty epic. I don't have time to play as much right now, but I'll shoot you an e-mail for the ip. I might stumble in every now and then. I assume that you also have rules against griefing n' the like. (Not just cheating.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its a server for me and my friends, so there's a little joking around once in a while to what could be considered hilarious results from a certain point of view, but it doesn't happen often, we're very dedicated to our minecraft induced tunnel vision and we never steal or wreck each others monoliths.

There's some loose borrowing but you ask first and pay back later.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
And just think how all that work might map onto a real world scenario... oh never mind.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.