FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ender's Game in IMAX. WHAT??

Author Topic: Ender's Game in IMAX. WHAT??
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/enders-game-getting-imax-release-51521

So, if the cast wasn't enough to cement the deal, it looks like the movie has some real studio backing. They're already talking franchise?

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"There’s a lot of books," Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said. "We’re excited about the franchise."
Not a lot of good books mind you, he is excited by the sheer number of potential money makers, er, sequels.

Oh movie execs, you are the lowest creatures on the planet.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

Erm. Some were definitely better than others. *cough*
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Future Movie Goer: Pfft, that Shadow of the Hedges movie was such a rip-off of Bourne Identity, at least Jason Bourne could fight all that Bean guy did was talk.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Erm. Some were definitely better than others. *cough*

Yes. Unfortunately, the sequel that I think of as the "best" (SFTD) is probably the least likely to translate into a movie. That means we're stuck with Shadow sequels, which, IMO, aren't that terrific to begin with.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
A War of Gifts Christmas release yea babay.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think they can do well but they need to stick to their guns and not try to have their cake and eat it. Very little of the series, Shadow or otherwise actually has that much action in it, I can see them easily being able to shoehorn in action but it may distract from the slow paced intellectual/philosophical set pieces.

Also how the crap, and this is totally unrelated to the thread but I know a guy who insists Card is a pacifist and that he was too "heavy handed" in the Ender quartet with it. 0_o

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slavim
Member # 12546

- posted      Profile for Slavim   Email Slavim         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bizzarely curious to see SFTD on the big screen
Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a sickening feeling that SFTD would either be rewritten as an awful mass appeal to big audiences, thus killing its complexity and heart...or they'd make it into one of those bizarre artsy films that are critically acclaimed but popularly hated.

EG is a cake walk compared to adapting SFTD, so of course they'll do the Shadow series, it's the low hanging fruit.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
...I love the Shadow series...and would love to see it made into films...

But much as I also love the Speaker sequels (and, since my favorite is Children of the Mind, you can tell what a nutter I am), I really don't know how in the world those would be as films. Like...at all.

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
TV series for the Speaker saga. Movie sequels for the Bean books.

More than likely this won't have anything follow it though.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

I don't think anyone's ever thought that far ahead. What would an "Ender's Game 2" be?

- The Shadow series . . . without the main character from the first film?

- The Speaker series, without the action or most of the characters from the first film?

My money is that they'll continue to try to hybrid both series. Better approach would be to have two movies, spliced together into a coherent whole. Worse approach would be to have Ender on Earth with Bean and the rest.

I really don't think Hollywood would make a Speaker movie at all.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it'd be possible to do a film adaptation of Speaker for the Dead, but they would definitely have to approach it from a different angle production wise.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

But is it possible to make Speaker into a mainstream sequel to an expensive blockbuster, if 99% of the cast isn't returning?
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I say Speaker would make a great movie, with the right script and director, or in other words, I'm not holding my breath.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly Shadow works more as a mini series than a movie or series of movies.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But is it possible to make Speaker into a mainstream sequel to an expensive blockbuster, if 99% of the cast isn't returning?

They'd probably do better to advertise it as a spin-off than as a sequel. Though, there is a precedence for successful sequels with few returning cast members.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that a "Formic Wars" prequel series would be more to Hollywood's liking. With the comics, and now the novels, I half suspect that that's been the plan all along.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to look forward to this movie, I really do! I know that I will see it, probably even at some ridiculous midnight showing. I just wish the thought didn't make me faintly ill to my stomach.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Who in the cast would be returning? The only two characters who return go from being children/teenagers, to late middle aged adults, so no real reason or using the same actors there.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Future Movie Goer: Pfft, that Shadow of the Hedges movie was such a rip-off of Bourne Identity

I'd pay to see that!
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.