FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FAQ's for newcomers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: FAQ's for newcomers
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This just in--reading to your child is a form of child abuse!
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2000/10/30/violent_reading/index.html

The author of this article finds the premise as ridiculous as any of us will, by the way.

Just for the record, I can remember not being able to read, and I can remember learning how to do it. Learning to read wasn't painful in the least, but not knowing how was pretty frustrating. I was probably 1 and a half or so, and was looking at a magazine that my parents had left out. I was trying to figure out what they found so fascinating about the text. I knew the alphabet, but I didn't have any concept yet that the letters came together to form words, so I couldn't figure out what it was all about. I knew that the letters weren't in order though.

I wonder if the person who came up with this theory had literacy drilled into her at the end of a whip or something?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of being prentious, that is, the act of committing prention, I would like to draw this thread back to the original FAQ topic for a sec.

This is to let all comers know that the word prention refers to the act of starting a new thread on an already exhausted subject. Those found behaving in a prentionistic manner, that is, prentionistically, will likely have their prention pointed out to them, ad nauseum.

Those with a penchant for prention will, no doubt, get the more severe keyboard lashing they so richly deserve.

Of course, prention is also used to refer to the act of pointing out the prention of others, so, neatly (and ipso facto) the person pointing out the prention is guilty of the same crime.

This keeps us all friendly, I would imagine.

We now return you to your previously mutated thread.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You mean the concept of the written word? No, not really. That memory I was relating was a really early one, and I'm afraid that my next memory of reading is sounding things out on product labels (product names, not the fine print from the contents labels or something) when I was sitting in a shopping cart.

I can remember being able to understand English but not being able to speak though. That really made me mad. I kept trying to talk, and couldn't form any words. I started crying. Given other details of the memory, my family says I must have been about 9 months old. I've read that kids can't form lasting memories at that age, but I've got first hand knowledge that it isn't true. Of course, the experts would say that I'm making it up, or that it's a false memory that I developed after looking at a picture, or something like that. I'm as sure of that memory as a person can be of any memory, but there's no way to prove it.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah ClaudiaTherese, I can remember being able to reach the faucet for the first time. That was exciting, wasn't it? No more using the drawers as stair steps!

[This message has been edited by Noemon (edited October 30, 2000).]

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember learning to read, or being able to reach the faucet, or anything like that, but when I was very young, I knew all of my colors when I heard their names but could only say (as far as colors went) "blue." So my mother would say, "Bring me the red block," and I would, but when she asked me what color it was, I would say "blue" and become frustrated because I knew that it really wasn't blue, but I just couldn't say my other colors. So what my mother liked to do to show me off was ask me "What color are your eyes?" and "What color is the sky?" I, of course, would accurately reply "Blue!"
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
On the flip side, I have only maybe one or two memories before age of 7. I have no recolection of kindergarten at all. I went to a different school for kindergarten and first grade, and I don't remember anything. Hit age 7, and everything kicks in. Weird.

My mother told me I learned to read in kindergarten, but I can't even remember this.

I don't think reflects badly on my intelligence, but I wonder what it means to have a bad memory. Now, I have a very good memory for ideas and books - I can remember everything I read, but I simply cannot remember events and places and people. It is like it has all been wiped. Weird.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember not knowing how to read. I have lots of memories from the time before I could read, but not staring at text and trying to understand it and not being able to. I wonder why I didn't form memories of that? I learned to read when I was 4 or 5.

What I do remember was how pleasurable it was to read when I first learned. I'd read aloud every single sign or billboard visible from the car as we were driving around. I bet it sent my mother crazy!

I remember my little brother looking at books and wanting really badly to know what they said. He'd ask me "what's that say?" and I'd tell him, then he'd ask "what's THAT say?" and then I'd tell him that one. This would go on for hours.

Sometimes I think I'd like to know what the sensation would be like of not being able to read. Then I realize I can just look at Chinese writing, or Arabic, or something, to get that feeling.

In Chinese restaurants I often stare and stare at the banners and things that are draped around with Chinese writing on them. I keep thinking if I look at them long enough I'll understand what they mean. When I first started looking, I was thinking fortune-cookieish things, and Tao-Te-Chingish things, but after a long while, it finally occurred to me that they probably said things like "$20 fee on all returned checks", or "No shirt, no shoes, no service".

[This message has been edited by aka (edited October 30, 2000).]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there can be no comparison.

*shrieks* THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY!!!!!

No more rhymes, I mean it!
Anybody wanna peanut?

The book really was better, though. I mean, what other story takes place after Paris but before Europe? Or has a Lady and the Tiger ending? (Oh, wait, except for "The Lady and the Tiger," I suppose. ) Did you know there is a sequel? I think it's called "Buttercup's Baby" or something like that. I saw it a couple of years ago in a bookstore in Portland but didn't buy it because it could never live up.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't seen it, there's also another book reportedly by S. Morgenstern that Willam Goldman wrote a while back called The Silent Gondoliers". Cute little fable. It's being re-released next January. Don't expect another Princess Bride, this is entirely different.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I understand that the latest theories are that young children's brains store things differently than adults brains. They say that everyone has complete memories of their early childhood, but that since they're stored in unlikely places, we can't always find them. I remember several things about my grandfather, who I know died when I was two. But when I think back, nothing much makes sense until I was six or so.

I remember staring at a box labeled "computer paper" when I was really young. I stared at it every morning. I knew the word paper, but I wasn't sure what paper was. I didn't know the word computer. I mused about it and tried pronouncing the word computer in different ways to see if anything came to mind. One problem I always had as a kid was that I would read something and mispronounce it so I didn't recognize it. Like "determined," I read it as "de-ter-mind-ed" so I made no connection. But as soon as I could read pretty well I definitely enjoyed it. I read all the time as much as I could. My mom took me to the library like once a week and checked out four library books for me. By the time I was in first grade, I could read them all in one sitting, so I got advanced to big kid books.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

aka, I do the same thing when looking at non-Roman scripts. Korean is a particularly fascinating script for me. At some point I'm going to learn to read it. It's just too interesting looking not to. Right now I'm teaching myself Thai, and I'm at a point where I know all of the characters and a couple hundred words. Well, I can *read* a couple hundred words--since there are so many ways to spell the same word that seem to me to be equally viable, I'm not so good at actually writing more than about 50 words yet. Anyway, I once again find myself fascinated by the words on product labels. I'll sit there with a packet of soup or bottle of fish sauce and sound the stuff out, appreciate just the look of a word, see a word written and start to sound it out before I realize that I already know it--it's pretty interesting to be doing it over again. It's also interesting that I'm once again doing it with product labels.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have memories from very early, too. I remember the appartment we lived in in Germany. I was less than 2 years old when we moved there. I vividly remember potty training, and speaking German to my German nanny. I even started to speak English with a German accent after a while. I remember my dad complaining about that to my mother. "If I wanted a kraut baby, I'd have married a kraut."

Dad was an Army man, and not a big one for tact.

I remember my sister breaking her finger on a girl scout hike, what the cast and splint looked like. All that happened before I was 2.

I do remember learning to read. I was the youngest of three and really didn't get much attention if I wasn't bleeding or something. When Mom found out I had to know my abcs before I could go to first grade, she got my brother to teach me. I knew my numbers and simple math already, and I knew how to write my name and certain other words. I'd copy words from books and catalogues, but I couldn't read.

It really didn't take a lot of effort to teach me, I wanted to learn so badly. I hope I still have the energy to give my younger children reading time with me.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

dean, that's really interesting about your pondering "computer paper". I can remember being fascinated in that same way, both by words, and also by shapes. I spent a lot of time looking at shapes (my brother's dice, my parents' tools, that type of thing) and just being *fascinated* by it. How could it be like *that* from this angle, and like *this* from another angle?

I can remember spending a fair amount of time trying to pick myself up when I was 2 or 3. I'd stand there, pick up one leg by the knee, and then very carefully try to pick the other leg up. Then I'd get up, dust myself off, and try it again. I remember doing this *alot*. It just seemed like it ought to work.

Ophelia, Your story about using the term Blue for all colors, but knowing that it wasn't right--how absolutely fascinating! I mean, pretty much any person who studies child development would tell you that at that point you didn't understand that blue was a term for a specific color--they'd say that you were using it as a general term for color. But you weren't! You knew exactly what color blue was, but found yourself saying it in place of the other color names. I wonder why that was?

I would really be able to tap into more of my very early childhood memories--I don't remember learning how to walk, for example, but that must have been a big deal to me at the time. I can remember not being able to talk, like I mentioned earlier, but I can't remember when I was finally able to do it. I can't help thinking that it would be really illuminating to remember what it was like to be learning all of that stuff. Remembering what it was like to realize that those noises people made had meaning, and to be actively puzzling it out--that would be fascinating.

[This message has been edited by Noemon (edited October 31, 2000).]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Olivet, you remember toilet training? I can't remember not being able to control when I went to the bathroom. Was it frustrating? What do you remember about it?
Psycluded
Member # 1316

- posted      Profile for Psycluded   Email Psycluded         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my dad playing Atari at my 1st birthday party, and bonking me on the head with a foam basketball meant to be used with one of my presents that B'day.

I can remember beating the stuffing out of my brother regularly, but that's about it...

Posts: 393 | Registered: Oct 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

By charactered system, do you mean one where each word is represented by a unique symbol, like in Cantonese?

It's been too long since my linguistics classes for me to remember the names for the different classes of writing systems (yes, I could look it up online, but I'm feeling lazy)

In any case, if that is what you meant, then I'm sorry to say that I haven't learned any charactered systems yet--Thai is an alphabetic system. It just used a completely different alphabet than ours (Interestingly, though, the Thai "L" is *very* similar to the Attic Greek lambda, and I think that you can kind of see how our "L" is related to lambda, although maybe I'm stretching it a bit on that one).

I may have an opportunity to learn Chinese though--I just caught wind of some teaching positions in China that my wife and I might be in a position to accept. It will be kind of weird just throwing over the computer networking stuff I've been doing for the past few years to teach ESL again, but I'm feeling kind of excited about it. Of course, right now it's just a possibility--I haven't even met with the recruiter yet--but it's an interesting possibility.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any particular change coming from learning such a different language, although I do think that anthing like that is generally exercise for the mind. Maybe after I've gotten more proficient in the language I'll see more of a difference in the way I think.

Noemon
Member # 1115

No apology necessary (or embarassment either--if you aren't familiar with Thai, it would be an easy enough mistake to make).

If we decide to accept the positions, we'll both be teaching. That's one of the nice things about ESL--if you're teaching overseas, it's generally a very family friendly situation. They'll often hire couples. Since my wife and I met in the same ESL MA program, that works out nicely for us. Or it would if either of us were doing ESL at the moment

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon,

I remember playing with a bucket of army men my dad got me, at the commissary, for my first birthday , trying to set them all on their feet. Not easy, since I was still bad at fine motor skills (and some of them were made to be on the ground -- as if belly-crawling through the trenches}. My mother was on the phone.

I remember thinking I should tell her I needed to go (I didn't quite think in those terms yet, but something like that) but I just had to make all my little men stand up first. I remember my diaper getting sort of un-comfy, but I was intensely focussed on the Army men.

Later, mom told me that if I went to the potty when I had to go, I could get back to playing faster than if she had to change my diaper. That was basically it, though sometimes I would get involved in something and not quite make it. My mother says it took less than a month, and I was older than 1 year, but less than a year and a half.

The thing I remember most is how focussed I was on those Army men. I've always had times when I was concentrating so hard on something that people could come up to me and speak loudly and I wouldn't respond. I was aware they were there, usually afterwards I could remember most of what they said, but I wouldn't acknowledge them until I was done with whatever it was. The extreme opposite of ADD.

My mother used to take pictures of me like that. She had me tested for epilepsy and everything. Finally, they said, "She just thinks real hard." Mom thought that was a hoot. (These were Army doctors, mind you. Usually going out of their way to sound professional.)

I would get really frustrated when people didn't understand me-- so much so that I would just break down in tears-- but the potty thing wasn't like that. It was just like, "So THAT'S how you do it." End of story.

Good luck on the ESL thing. My husband and I nearly went to Japan, but the first place we talked to preferred singles. Then half my family died an the other half got sick or divorced, and we moved back to take care of my mom. The second place we went to would have sent us to Kyoto, and that was 2 months before the big earthquake in '94. Good thing we didn't go.

[This message has been edited by Olivet (edited October 31, 2000).]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It is so interesting how different kids think.

My brother was about two and wanted to go on the Father/Son campout his daddy and big brother was going on.

My mother told him he couldn't go unless he didn't wear diapers anymore -- he had to be like the big boys. Well, that was it. It took about a week to work everything out and my brother was potty-trained. He just needed a motivation.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

Olivet, I have that total concentration thing sometimes, too. I remember the first PC I ever got hold of, I sat down at 7 am and started playing with it and came back to myself around midnight. 17 hours straight and I didn't eat or drink anything or notice anything around me for the whole time.

When I was a kid my mom kept taking me for hearing tests. She thought I was deaf because I'd be concentrating so much on what I was doing that I didn't respond to her unless she actually came and put her hand on my chin and turned up my face and spoke right into my eyes.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Olivet, I was in the middle of a really long reply to your posting yesterday when my machine crashed. I don't quite have the energy to recreate the post, but suffice it to say "wow, that's really interesting!". That was the gist of my post, anyway.

[Edit--turns out I related a story here that I had already related in an earlier posting. I remembered typing it in, but I thought that it was in the posting that I lost when my computer crashed. Turns out it was just in an earlier posting]

It's interesting now to look through picture books that completely captivated my attention as a child, and try to remember what it is about those illustrations that seemed so fascinating to me. I used to spend a lot of time pouring over the pictures in _Snowy Day_ (I think that's the title), and there was a book about a live mouse and a wind up mouse that had illustrations that I used to loose myself in. And things that I appreciate now, like the gleam of winter sunlight on a bale of hay (when it catches the light just right), I used to go into a meditative state staring at back then (I recognize it now as having been a meditative state--I didn't think of it that way at the time).

Another interesting thing is that I can remember foods tasting differently than I now perceive them to taste. Cantaloupe, for example, tastes completely different to my adult palate than it did to my child palate. I can remember distinctly what it tasted like, and it's nothing like what it tastes like to me now.

This post is getting long, so I'll wrap it up, but one other thing on the subject that I've been thinking about is this: I've read in a number of places that virtually all of the things that we consider instinctual are actually learned, and the writers usually point to the fact that babies show no sign of revultion at the odor of feces to be proof of this. I wonder though--is it possible that babies sense of smell is different than ours? They definitely have a developed sense of smell, since they are able to recognize their mothers by their scent, but could it be that it's just really different from our own sense of smell? Kind of like that taste thing I was discussing above? It might not be a question of learning that feces stink so much as their olfactory perceptions changing so soemthing that was at perceived to be at least neutral before is now perceived to be unplesant.

[Edit--well, looks like I ended up with another mammoth posting anyway! Guess I had the energy after all]

[This message has been edited by Noemon (edited November 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Noemon (edited November 02, 2000).]

aka
Member # 139

I think things like that are really fascinating, too. I can remember playing with water a lot. Pouring big containers into little containers and back again. Watching the way waves looked on the surface of a sink or tub, and looking at the shadows the waves cast on the bottom. Trying to see the cool drip that jumps up from the surface of the water for a fraction of a second right after a drop from the faucet falls down.

I remember when I first learned that everything falls at the same speed no matter what it weighs, and I didn't believe it. So I got on my parents' bed with Poochy Pooh, the stuffed dog, and jumped up and down on it. Each time at the top of the jump, I'd let Poochy Pooh go, and watch as he stayed in the same position relative to my hands until I caught him again at the bottom of every bounce. So it really was true. I remember just bouncing and doing that for a long long time one day.

One time when my niece was about 6 I asked her to please explain everything to me. To tell me what made it day or night and how the sun worked and why it moved around in the sky and why did it stay up instead of falling. Her theories were very interesting. She thought it was probably scotch tape keeping the sun stuck to the sky, for instance.

Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting conversation I had with my daughter when she was four years old went something like this:

"Mom, do you remember when you became a person?"

Not sure where this was heading: "Do you mean when I was born? Not really."

"No, no, when you became a PERSON." Impatiently: "You know, when you were turned on, like a light."

Still not sure what she meant but not wanting to cut off the conversation: "I'm not quite sure -- do YOU remember when you became a person?"

"Yes."

"What happened?"

"You know, I became ME, the person I am."

"Who were you before that??"

"Oh, I was just hanging around."

I'm still amazed and baffled at this. She still swears she remembers "turning on" sometime around three years old.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
putative frog
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for putative frog   Email putative frog         Edit/Delete Post 
i think its facinatinating how some people remember alot about their early childhood and others dont. i remember all sorts of sruff from when i was 2 and 3 but dont ask me what we had for dinner last night.

as for learning to read:
i had 'mommy school' when i was little before kindergarten. i learned shapes and numbers and letters and how to do chores like scrubbing the bathtub. a few months before kindergarten-i started when i was almost 5-i could read small 3-4 letter words.reading never gave me a problem untill i was still at a 7th grade reading level at the beginning of 9th grade.(i now read shakespeare and plato for fun,dont worry about having an incompetent reader at hatrack)

my little brother is a different story. words on paper confused him until my mom got him a tape and book set that had the letters sounded out for him.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Say, have I mentioned that there was a time in my life when I put alot of energy into trying to pick myself up? Just joking--I was reading through this thread yesterday, and realized that I'd posted that story twice. I've gone back and edited out of the second mention of it.

On a completely different subject (not that I'm not trying to derail the current subject (it's fascinating, but conversation on it seems to be slowing down), but I just came across the following:
http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2000/11/02/minesweeper/index.html

And thought that some of our resident Minesweepers, such as aka, might find it interesting.

aka
Member # 139

That is cool! I hope they solve it, but I'm not sure but what maybe minesweeper isn't as intractable as the original problem. It's so cool that he noticed the isomorphism between them, though.

There's something very satisfying to me about minesweeper. I'm not sure what. Same is true for Freecell and Tetris. Those are the only three games I've ever become addicted to, but I've avoided all the really interesting games because I want to be able to keep my job and stuff.

[This message has been edited by aka (edited November 03, 2000).]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, anybody here read any of Theodore Sturgeon's work lately? I just read an article on Salon.com that discussed his work

(you can read it at http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/11/15/sturgeon/index.html )

and I found what the critic had to say to be very much at odds with what I remember of Sturgeon's work. The thing is, I haven't read anything by him in the better part of a decade, and I'm a much more perceptive reader now than I was then, so it's possible that I just missed quite alot last time I read his stuff. Then again, the critic could be full of crap.

One thing that he said that just seems ridicuolus to me was this:

"Over and above the pleasures of his storytelling -- for he could tell a rattling yarn when it suited his deeper needs to do so..."

I find it bizarre how often the ability to write a good and involving story is denigrated by critics--in this case, in the context of the article, it read (to me) almost as though the critic were apologizing for Sturgeon's being a skilled story teller, or maybe apologizing for his praising someone who was a good story teller.

Grasshopper
Member # 1055

- posted      Profile for Grasshopper           Edit/Delete Post 
This has got to be the most interesting FAQ I've ever read.

As for the "remembering before reading" topics, a book suggestion:

A is for Ox: The Collapse of Literacy and the Rise of Violence in an Electronic Age by Barry Sanders

The author deals with the connection between literacy and abstract thinking. Very interesting reading, particularly in a world where, reportedly, the great majority of people cannot read. Perhaps it is the fact that abstraction is closely tied to memory that accounts for our typically not remembering life before reading.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll second that Grasshopper! Welcome to Hatrack!
aka
Member # 139

Another note on the early childhood stuff (which I think is fascinating). My niece Mary when she learned to write already knew all her letters (she was about 2) by sight but what she would do is take a pencil and move it around in ways that looked like a person writing. Then she'd pick it up and evaluate what she'd written and decide what letter it looked like, if any. She didn't at all take her knowledge of what a letter looked like and actually DIRECT her hand in a way that might make such a letter. It was all trial and error. She made these cool-looking writing-type motions, and then she'd see what she had wrought. Most often, as you might expect, it looked like nothing at all.

That's the most brilliant of my nieces; the one who's going to be a scientist or research doc or something.

Another thing she said once that blew me away. When she was about four she said something I didn't understand and I asked her, "What did you just say, Mary?" And she answered, "I don't know.... ... Sometimes I don't know WHAT I say." It seemed to be very much in the spirit of her early attempts at writing. That she just made noises with her mouth sometimes and wasn't sure whether she was really saying something and if so what it might have been that she said. That seemed so bizarre to me. I still puzzle over it, and what it means about how people's brains work and who they really are.

[This message has been edited by aka (edited December 27, 2000).]

aka
Member # 139

As a matter of fact, she's already posted. She did a brief stint as Rosa a while back, starting a horse thread and complaining about school, I think.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing this up to the top for you, Mateo...
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MateoMcD
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for MateoMcD   Email MateoMcD         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you are too kind. I see now that my previous attempts to elicit this kind of feedback was due to my own lack of meaningful research. I respectfully withdraw my previous postings...

Thanks!

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

We have a lot of newbies floating around. I just want to make sure this is easily available to them.
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah we have a lot of newbies floating around...all this "i'm new here" posts are *almost* starting to bug me!! (but not quite)[i'm a patient guy]
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

bumping it up again...so, who likes magnetic poetry? I just got some "Shakespeare Love Magnets"...pretty fun stuff...
aka
Member # 139

Hey, and I just realized this thread is a great example of an invariable hatrack rule which we probably haven't explicitly stated anywhere which is that threads tend to go way off track sometimes and are allowed to whenever they do. It's more fun that way. (I just found myself wondering if hatrackers are sort of prone to ADD and that's why. You think?)

And also there's a brand new rule (or actually it's more like a guideline or maybe it's one of David's beloved memes) that peek-a-boo seems to be successfully propogating, namely "it's all good". It keeps growing and growing on me. Like "Yeah! She's right! It IS all good!"

[This message has been edited by aka (edited January 29, 2001).]

jRc
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for jRc   Email jRc         Edit/Delete Post 
Another newcomer fact: it is perfectly reasonable not to want to slog through a 3-page long thread just to make sure no one has already said what you want to say in reaction to the first post on the thread. Especially when some posts in the thread are 50-page dissertations in their own right. Also when the thread goes off on a tangent.

I am an advocate of not getting involved in threads already more than 50 posts long if I haven't already posted in the thread. Saves lots of time and trouble.

My heartfelt condolences if you have actually read every post in this thread in an attempt to familiarize yourself with this forum and its idiosyncracies. I did not, and I still haven't.

One more thing--I have never seen any other posts by Emily Milner. Of course, I am a relative newcomer myself. Doubtless the oldcomers will all say "Oh, Emily Milner used to post here all the time. She was the cat's pajamas! Man, those were the days. I knew Emily Milner well, and jRc, you're no Emily Milner!"

-j.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

Bumping it up!

I vaguely remember Emily Milner...I don't think she was here that long, actually...

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you newcomers should ALSO be unsurprised, then, that we completely dismiss what you have to say if -- having failed to "slog" through dozens of earlier posts -- your own posts merely reiterate points that became tired on the second page.
Everard
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for Everard   Email Everard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good example of this would be over on ornery...the resident 11 page thread is a mess.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what I hate? When people fail to read earlier posts and just reiterate points that have already been made. That just drives me crazy...

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

lol, Tres!

Emily Milner was really cool! She posted a whole bunch in several of my threads about sexual politics and the past and future relationships of men and women, the balance of power within marriages, and so on. I wish she would come back.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

*smiles at Tres*

The biggest problem with "jumping to the end" syndrome is that newcomers to the thread who post the same old points practically DEMAND the same old response from the people who've already posted, since the latter group knows that OTHER newcomers will visit the thread, notice such an unchallenged point, and either accept it or go off on their OWN response. This tends to snowball; any thread longer than three pages almost always demonstrates this to some degree.

jRc
Member # 1335

- posted      Profile for jRc   Email jRc         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually never thought of that...good idea!

-j.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
I am guilty of not reading really long threads or really long post. Im sorry but im in the liabrary and i only have a limited amount of time to post and read. I try to make my points and get out. If no one replies to what i say which more often than not it seems that i am ignored. I dont care so what i had my say so i wont cry about being ignored. I got better things to do like post some more so i can be ignored some more. Man i love this circular thinking that i get into. round and round. :BOBS HEAD TO RATT:
I figure that once i have been here long enough and people start seeing that i do have some valid point to say they will comment on them.I have plenty of time i aint gonna die for some time yet another two hundred years or so.

Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

bump
Ophelia
Member # 653

As this is the current "anything" thread, and I didn't want to start a new thread for this, does anybody know what edible underwear is made out of? Some of my friends are having a debate. Right now, the two best suggestions are fruit rollups and the stuff that's wrapped around soft spring rolls. I suppose I lean more towards the fruit rollups idea myself.
petra
Member # 1691

- posted      Profile for petra   Email petra         Edit/Delete Post 
those guys on 'the man show' made some edible underware out of fruit rollups, so i know that's one thing it's made out of, but there's probably more than one version.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Spring roll wrappers are only soft like that because they've been soaked in warm water. If you let them dry out much, they get pretty hard and crusty, and even a little bit sharp. Unless the edible underwear needs to be soaked in warm water for 15 minutes or so before being worn, I doubt it's made out of spring roll wrappers.

I've always figured that they're probably made out of fruit roll ups, but I guess I don't know for sure. Why don't you buy a pair and let us know?

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.