FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is Your Favorite Line From The Princess Bride? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Line From The Princess Bride?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, how to decide?

Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me."

This is my favorite scene in any movie, I think.

Just to add: I once found a link where this program was able to digitally mask in lightsabers during the fencing scene. I quite enjoyed watching that.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Many of my favorites have been quoted already.

quote:
Dread Pirate Roberts:
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini:
WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
The part where Wesley says "Drop your sword" makes tears come to my eyes, it's so powerful.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?

Dread Pirate Roberts: Do you always begin conversations this way?

quote:
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Dread Pirate Roberts: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?

Dread Pirate Roberts: Australia.

quote:
Buttercup: You mocked me once. Never do it again! I died that day! [pause] And you can die too for all I care! [Buttercup pushes Roberts down the hill]

Dread Pirate Roberts: < rolling > As... you... wish!!

Buttercup: Oh my sweet Westley, what have I done? [Buttercup jumps down the hill, rolling after him]

I love the oh-so-sincere delivery on that last one. I like to use it in conversation when I have the chance - "Oh, my dear sweet Westley, what have I done?"
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 619

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Miracle Max (whining):
I might kill whoever you wanted me to miracle.

Inigo:
He's already dead.

Miracle Max:
He is, huh? I'll take a look.

The wonderful whining way that Billy Crystal delivered the first line, and the "what the heck" tone of his second line, cannot be conveyed by the written word. But the scene always cracks me up. (Billy's incongruous Jewish accents doesn't hurt, either.)

Of course, the line I will always remember (and often quote to myself--my friends have all ready made me stop quoting it out loud) is:

"Life is pain. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell something."

Posts: 2473 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had an experience that punctuated how deeply this movie has buried itself in my subconscious, and I thought this would be a good place to share it.

A couple of days ago, I went off to see Terminator 3. For those of you who have not seen it, there is a scene about 75% through the movie where the two heroes are attempting to escape in an airplane, which Kate, the heroine, is to pilot. A terminator comes through, beats her up, beats up John, and then they escape. John runs over to Kate, picks her up, and says, "Can you fly?" With no other stimulus, the following line came into my mind, and I actually expected her to reply, "You're alive... if you want me to, I can walk!"

Long live Westley and Buttercup.

[ July 26, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euterpe~
Member # 2235

- posted      Profile for Euterpe~   Email Euterpe~         Edit/Delete Post 
Fezzig in a holocaust cloak:
"I am here, but soon, you will not be here."
It's so simple, but it scared the bejeezus out of the castle guards.

Valerie: "I'm not a witch; I'm your wife."

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hear me now. I will always come for you."

"But how can you be sure?"

"This is True Love. Think this happens every day?"

++++++++++++++

Humperdinck:
But first things first. To the death.

Westley:
No! To the pain.

Humperdinck:
I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.

Westley:
I'll explain. And I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog-faced buffoon.

Humperdinck:
That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.

Westley:
It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists, next your nose.

Humperdinck:
And then my tongue, I suppose. I killed you too quickly the last time, a mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.

Westley:
I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye, followed by your right.

Humperdinck:
And then my ears, I understand, let's get on with it.

Westley:
Wrong! Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, ever woman who cries out "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery for ever.

Humperdinck:
I think you're bluffing.

Westley:
It's possible, pig. I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable vomitous mass, I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. Then again, perhaps I have the strength after all.

< he stands up >

Drop... your... sword.

+++++++++

I love that scene.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. It seems to be popular! (See previous posts) There's a great link to the script earlier in the thread. [Smile]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you. Are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet, or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I'm not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool; you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
(Something, Something . . .)
"Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Dread Pirate Roberts: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Vizzini: WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?

Clearly the best dialogue in the movie. [Big Grin]
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that was silly of him Gott. The Princess Bride is my older sister's favorite movie, and I've watched it and quoted it since I was five.
My unlce's just a very hardcore Princesss Bride fan. At his wedding, he had the one song played from it when the bride and groom had their first dance.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
bump, to add my favorite interchange with my favorite line bolded.

quote:
Inigo: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Count Rugen: No!

Inigo: Offer me money!

Count Rugen: Yes!

Inigo: Power, too. Promise me that!

Count Rugen: All that I have and more! Please!

Inigo: Offer me everything I ask for!

Count Rugen: Anything you want.

Inigo: I want my father back, you son of a bitch.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, Euterpe, I was going to bring up that second one and somebody finally remembered it! Funniest line in the movie, I thought.

quote:
I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Wesley: Why didn't you wait for me?

Buttercup: Well, you were dead.

W: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

BC: I will never doubt again.

W: There will never be a need.

[ July 31, 2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: maui babe ]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
From the book (from memory so it may no be exact)

"This was after stew, but then everything was after stew. When the first man crawled out of the slime, what he had for dinner that night was stew."

Then somewhat later

"This was after taxes, but then everything was after taxes. Even stew."

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! No one has said my favorite yet!!

"You just wiggled your finger! That's wonderful!"

"I've always been a quick healer."

AND

"You just shook your head! That doesn't make you happy?"

"My brains, your strength, and his steel against sixty men, and you think a little head jiggle is supposed to make me happy? Hmmmm?"

[Big Grin] Princess Bride is happiness. Good thread!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

PS to anyone who hasn't read the book...you're missing out on some of the funniest quotable lines in all the world!! I'm not kidding!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

But, a couple lines that can only be as funny as they are in the movie:

Vizzini:
FINISH HIM, FINISH HIM! YOUR WAY!

Fezzik:
Oh good, my way. Thank you, Vizzini. [Fezzik pauses, thinking] Which way's my way?

Vizzini:
Pick up one of those rocks, get behind the boulder. In a few minutes the man in black will come running around the bend. The minute his head is in view, HIT IT WITH THE ROCK!!

[ROFL] I love that one! [ROFL]

And then of course is:

Westley:
Where am I?

Albino(in a gravelly voice):
The pit of despair...don't even think (disgusting throat-clearing cough)

Albino(in a low sexy voice with a Brittish accent):
Don't even think about trying to escape. The chains are far too thick.
[Big Grin]

[ August 01, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
Westley:
Hear me now. I will always come for you.

Buttercup:
But how can you be sure?

Westley:
This is True Love. Think this happens every day?

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
*added to Narnia's quote*

"My way's not very sportsmanlike."

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Big Grin]
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love Westley's deliverance of this line: "Dear God, what is that thing?" It's a beautiful moment. The whole scene with Prince Humperdinck and Westley is fabulous. When Westley collapses after Humperdinck is tied up is an astonishingly beautiful physical moment.

I love this movie.

I also like the priest saying, "Mawwaaage". *snicker*

And of course, Inigo Montoya asking for his father back. *sniffle*

As....you...wiiiiiiiish....

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked this one out before opening the thread:

I can't remember quite how it starts, and I'm not going to cheat, but it goes:

"You've made one of the classic blunders. The best known being Never start a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well known is Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha" :falls over dead:

You know, a lot of ya'll's favorite parts are my least favorite parts. Of course, I was in college when this movie first came out and everyone told me I HAD to see it, so I was very resistant for a long time.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

The link to the script that I got from this thread shows up dead now. [Frown] I loved that bookmark and now I'll have to find ANOTHER site with the entire script of this movie.
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I just love Vizzini'inconceivable!', the way the actor said it was great. And Inigo's "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." line is great.

Although my favorite is Miricle Max and his wife:

"Do you think it'll work?"
"It'll take a miricle."
"Bye boys!"

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
We read this book in 10th grade for english class(Too long ago). The only book I have been forced to read that I enjoyed.

Anyway, throughout the book the author often states, "but thats another story for another time." or something like that.

One of the times, the author continues and says "if you want the rest of the story you can write our publishers at *insert address here*.

For extra credit we were asked to write the editor/publisher and get the rest of the story. I did! (I always needed extra credit in english class, no doubt you can tell by my writting).

I was very surprised when I received a letter in the mail. There it was on 2 pieces of paper, the rest of the story. I don't remember what it was about and I can't seem to find it either. Though I'm sure I saved it somewhere.

Has anyone else done this? I wonder if they still are doing it?

Sorry about my ramlings, I'm working a graveyard shift and I usually don't.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

A new link to the script.
Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Kiss] *luvs Koga* Thank you!!
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*luvs Koga too* [Wink]

And NARNIA! Will you be here more OFTEN!!! I MISS YOU!!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
No one's mentioned my favorite line, yet:

(At the bottom of the ravine leading into the fireswamp, after having tumbled down the hill)

Westley: "Darling, can you walk?"

Buttercup: "Walk? You're alive! If you want, I can fly."

I really, really like this line. Breaks me up every time.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
"I will not budge. Keep your 'Ho there'."
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koga
Member # 5646

*luvs Raia* [Kiss]

*thinks Narnia seems pretty cool too* [Wave] Your very welcome [Smile]

Koga
Member # 5646

I like this description of the courtyard seen in the script:

quote:
[Fezzik is dressed in the black cloak, and being pushed from behind in the Wheelbarrow. He now looks enormous and fearsome!]

Fezzik was played by Andre the Giant, when exactly did he not look enormous?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
one of my MANY favorites:
"I do not thank that word means what you think it means."

(we got the DVD for christmas...and I had recorded it off tv the night before [ROFL] )

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
A nitpick, a question, a quotation, and a moment:
quote:
"Jou seem a nice enough fellow--I hate to kill you."
"You seem like a nice fellow, I hate to die."

The exchange is actually:
"You seem a decent fellow--I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow--I hate to die."
quote:
As to Fitz's quote: That ancient Booer was Robin Wright, who played Buttercup....
The credits list the Ancient Booer as Margery Mason, who does seem to have been a real person (she was in Howard's End, Love Actually, and Les Misérables, to name a few). Was this some sort of chicanery on the part of the filmmakers?

I think my personal favorite quote, or at least the one that makes me laugh the most is: "Move the thing! And... that other thing! Move it!"

But my favorite moment in the whole movie is during the fencing scene when Inigo brings his feet together and thrusts both arms out, with the little castanet rattle in the background. But that's just because I'm a big fencing nerd.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to those that bumped this thread. Following the Sparrow vs. Roberts thread, this is fun.

I, like most have so many favorites. The only ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned are from Fezzik
quote:
And I thought there are four of us, if we ever find the lady. [Buttercup and Wesley run to the window to see Fezzik on a horse] Hello lady!
Mostly this is funny because of the way my brothers and I would immitate Andre's voice, but it's still one of my favorites.

and this exchange:
quote:
Fezzik: I'm on the brute squad. Max: You are the brute squad

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wesley: Can you move at all?
Buttercup: Move? You're alive! If you want I could fly.
Wesley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well, you were dead.
Wesley: But death cannot stop true love...all it can do is delay it for awhile.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else have a problem with this movie...

or actually, the actors after this movie.

It was bad enough watching Inigo on ER with no accent...

but then...

blasphemy of blasphemies...

In the Live Action version of "The Jungle Book" to have Dear Wesley being a bigoted, snotty, totally unlikeable villian.

How could they do that to Wesley?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheRatedR
Member # 5190

- posted      Profile for TheRatedR   Email TheRatedR         Edit/Delete Post 
Wesley: Why won't my arms move?
Fezzik: You've been mostly dead all day.

After seeing it so many times more obscure lines make me laugh more.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

For what?

For always being so nice to me. *Kisses* I'm going to go kill myself now.

Oh, Isn't that nice... She kissed me *grins*

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there must be more.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWyndre
Member # 6402

- posted      Profile for DarkWyndre   Email DarkWyndre         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump, and the link is broken earlier in the thread... anyone got a link to a copy of the script?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is one (there are many - just do a google search).
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sleep well, big fellow, and dream of large women."
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
"good luck storming the caslte boys"

"Think it will work?"

"It would take a miracle."

Miracle Max and Wife

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The part where the grandpa answers his grandson's request to read the story again "As you wish" makes tears come to my eyes just thinking about - in fact I LOVED the whole juxtaposition of the "real life" commentary around the movie.

*goes off to find a kleenex as thinking about Grandpa makes Shan lonely for hers*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs this thread*

*plans to watch the movie over the weekend*

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
He's only mostly dead.

Man, we quote that movie all the time. I couldn't believe it didn't even make the "Top 100 Best Comedies" countdown they had a few years back. And "The Graduate" got number one? That movie was more sad than funny.

Anyone ever seen the extras on the lame DVD of "The Princess Bride"? (Lame meaning there are no good extras.) They have some of the old commercials and trailers and they are soooo poorly done. It was somebody's brilliant idea to try to market it as a rosy, fairy-tale romance/drama! I like to think that if it came out today, it would have been marketed properly. After all, they seemed to have honed the art of previews to perfection. Many trailers are better than the movie!

[ April 02, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
We definitely need to watch that movie this weekend.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.